PDA

View Full Version : More Layers After Drying

DP&MD11
06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
The place im working in my El Camino is very cramped and i dont want to spend a lot of time cramped up. Can i lay down like two layers of glass and let it dry then pop out the mold and apply more? Also can metal mesh i.e. window screens work to strenghten enclosures with the combo of glass? Thanks a lot!!

saywhat?
06-09-2005, 08:09 PM
ive never even thought of the "chicken wire" type stuff to strengthen but im sure it would work.....sorta like rebarb in concrete

DP&MD11
06-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Thats exactly the same thought that passed through my head. But would it be okay to glass like 2 layers down, pop the base mold, then glass more on that?

AznRevlAzn
06-09-2005, 08:21 PM
should be fine as long as the ejected mold is not thin.

DP&MD11
06-09-2005, 08:25 PM
alrite so when i get the mold off should i just sand the surface before applying more glass or just slap the mess on?

BeanII
06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
You can glass 4 or 5 layers at a time. Use big sheets of the mat

DP&MD11
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
alrite thanks all for the input and i really do apperciate it. by the way has anybody followed that idea of using window screens or metal mesh to reinforce enclosures?

BeanII
06-10-2005, 12:12 AM
alrite thanks all for the input and i really do apperciate it. by the way has anybody followed that idea of using window screens or metal mesh to reinforce enclosures?

my initial thought is that it won't add to the strenght as it won't soak up the resin and the resin by itself would crack..... does that make sense?

DP&MD11
06-10-2005, 12:29 AM
yes but what if i glassed onto the window screen material like in layers like this? The fiberglass would be intwined in the screen

##################################-Fiberglass
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Window Screen
##################################-Fiberglass

AzGrower
06-10-2005, 01:22 AM
I do not believe that the mesh will make it any more stronger than an extra 2 layers of heavier matting will. Its going to cause more problems later, just use more matte. Also, the rule of thumb on releasing your molds is at least 3 layers. If its too thin, then when applying the rest of the layers on top, the reaction of the resin and the catalyst (mekp) is exothermic, thus releasing heat. If the mold is too thin and gets too warm, it can actually warp and not fit back the way it was when. Which kinda defeats the main purpose of fglass in the first place ( to be able to accurately use odd, curved shapes for a custom fit). Are you doing kickpanels or what? Why not remove the seat for more working room? 3 or 4 layers of glass should only take about 4 hours or so to complete. You can begin laying another layer as soon as the resin is dry and non-tacky to the touch. And as someone already mentioned, you can do 2 layers of matting at a time. So in escence, by doing 3 repeated layers, you are actually laying down 6 layers of matting, so you should be fine with that mold.

DP&MD11
06-10-2005, 01:28 AM
hey thanks very much i really apperciate that response. I am just doing a base mold then the rest will be made out of MDF.

TPABlazer
06-10-2005, 10:32 AM
You should be able to glass layers right onto the mold now, and window screen wont work.