PDA

View Full Version : Faces on or off when parked?

gnet158
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
A question for you guys & gals with detachable faces, when you park your car/truck do you always take you face plates off? I donít, I only take it off in places Iím not familiar with or at the mall. But I guess thieves know we donít carry them with us so their somewhere inside.

JAZN
06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
i leave it on all the time. used to take it off, but nothing has ever happened.
i guess it's just that false security i have from my alarm.

(see sig for your spelling)

supa_c
06-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I leave mine on cuz i have trunk monkey
www.trunkmonkey.com ;)

jujumantb
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Off except at home or if its a busy parking lot and I wont be gone that long.

Raffi
06-09-2005, 01:45 PM
OFF...Everytime!

ryanwiggum
06-09-2005, 03:17 PM
depends on the place

Johnny Drama
06-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Id take mine off but it wouldnt work after I did.

snebes
06-09-2005, 03:21 PM
i never take mine off. It's insured for a reason. And it would be reason enough for me to change models :D

JimJ
06-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I never take mine off.

I drive a huge, easily recognizable vehicle, with several large windows and external antennas. Taking off a faceplate wouldn't change much.

I park under lights, in a place where I can keep an eye on it if I need to. At school, I never bump on campus, or otherwise reveal what I've got in back. Never had a problem once....then again, nobody expects a system in my kind of vehicle :rolleyes:

THX
06-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Depends on the area. If I park up in DC I take it off and lock it in the glove box with the ipod. If I'm at the local mall I leave it on.

Just fyi my friend had ONLY his faceplate stolen out of his car. The kids didn't know how to take out the radio.

Prowler573
06-09-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm paranoid so everytime the car gets parked the faceplate comes off/goes in its face case and that along with my radar detector get put in the front pocket of my CD case and comes with me.

bimma85
06-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Depends on how bright it is outside, how long im gonna be gone, what time it is, and if my ******* remembers(which I usually do). I have however had my dumb times. Left windows down face on and went out and got drunk and left the windows down all night, back seat down and face on lol :uhoh: .... etc etc. I also love the fact you can't unlock my doors without the alarm pad, my key can't even unlock it when the alarm is set.

cjjackson85
06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Detachable faces? Ouch... I feel sorry for you guys.

bamaboy
06-10-2005, 12:47 AM
you cant get my face off unless the HU is on, you have to hit the eject button and make it motor down and the push another button and then pull it off

supa_c
06-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Yep.
Same with the P9 :p:

Jayhawkk
06-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Just a couple of spelling pet peeves eh?

I rarely take mine off but there are occasions when I will. When I do it doesn't stay in the vehicle though.

FOSGATE JOE
06-10-2005, 01:45 AM
when park for the night i take it with me

Black_Jesus
06-10-2005, 01:56 AM
i take mine off, put it in my headunit case, put it in my black radioshack bag, throw the remote in there also, and my phone if im in a hurry.

no one knows what it is :)

"oh you went to radioshack huh"

me: yep.

JimJ
06-10-2005, 02:09 AM
I don't see the point in taking off my head unit face when both my radio faceplates are still on there...I could take those off conceivably, too...but it would be too much work.

mr Tibbs
06-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Why not use the delay open? Every time I turn off the car and the HU turns off, the faceplate opens so you can remove it. If you take it off the plate goes back in, if you don't take it off it retracts after about a minute.

And to the original poster it's almost always off. It never used to be until I got a nicer HU! :D

you cant get my face off unless the HU is on, you have to hit the eject button and make it motor down and the push another button and then pull it off

ExS
06-11-2005, 01:56 AM
I leave mine on all the time, but yet I don't drive my car much, so my nissan remains in my garage.

flakko
06-11-2005, 02:09 AM
mee too always on... its dangerous though

deepest blue EXS... deepest blue.

Expy2000
06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Faces on I have an alarm and chl..

all that matters..

:)

ExS
06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
mee too always on... its dangerous though

deepest blue EXS... deepest blue.

No Colette!

flakko
06-11-2005, 02:27 AM
"im dreamin now, walkin on the moon"

PhatTonyDeMarco
06-11-2005, 02:28 AM
I take it off when I park for the night, or go into work and school. But if I just go into the store or soemthing, I leave it on.

davidfre21
06-11-2005, 05:58 AM
im too lazy, if something was gonna get jacked it probly would have been already (2 years with nice cd players)

Decipha
06-11-2005, 06:07 AM
my HU isin't even worth the time in removing the face, if some1 is downbad and desperate enuff to steal my HU they can have it but they will be very dissapointed

$80 Xtreme MP3 Player from walmart

http://www.xtremeproduct.com/XB120.htm

gnet158
06-11-2005, 04:52 PM
No kidding, :lol

Justinw303
06-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I never take mine off. Too much of a hassle.

negativezeroz
06-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Detachable faces? Ouch... I feel sorry for you guys.
:word:

millerscents
06-11-2005, 11:52 PM
almost never take mine off have ins. for that

gnet158
06-12-2005, 04:41 AM
almost never take mine off have ins. for that

You do know that you have to let you insurance company know about all the aftermakert suff you install or they won't pay for it right? Just something to keep in mind for our younger members.

THUNDERBIRD
06-12-2005, 04:53 AM
pretty much always on expect for if i leave my sun roof open or i park in the back of the building at work

dkguitarist
07-02-2005, 09:49 PM
i used to not take mine off. but i was ignorant and bumped in my neighborhood every day. then one night last summer the neighbors from down the street pried open the sliding window on my truck and jacked my headunit and amp. since then i've ALWAYS removed my faceplate. you learn from your mistakes. i sure as hell did. and i don't bump in my neighborhood anymore. no matter what time of day or night. but then again i don't have subs anymore. but i will in a few months.

AznRevlAzn
07-02-2005, 09:58 PM
i take mine off all the time and I always park as close to the main road or building as close as possible. Also, park in a well lit area as well.

bigred78797
07-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I always remove my faceplate... after i got my radio stolen out of a 1991 GMC conversion van i decided i was always gonna romove the face of my CD player. And as an added measure of security if im gonna park for any extended period of time i remove my cars CPU and ignition Fuses... HE HE HE.

bimma85
07-02-2005, 10:48 PM
unless you forget, why not take it off?

Justinw303
07-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Some of you guys are REALLY paranoid...

IRACEMYCOPCAR
07-03-2005, 09:52 PM
all you guys that leave it on thinking its a hassle to take off or dont care because of insurance will be mad when your car gets dented/windows broken/dash destroyed etc..... and you have to go through some real hassle to get all that stuff fixed and possibly have to go without that car for a couple of days if it has to go into a shop.

i install at a retailer and i do insurance jobs all the time, people have to take days off work to take it all over the place to get fixed(window shop,body shop,stereo shop,etc...) and all because they were too lazy to take 30sec. extra to remove the faceplate.

i take mine off EVERYTIME i get out of my vehicle even if its only at the gas station while im paying, if they know the face is gone and they cant use it or even tell what kind of radio it is they are less likely to steal it.

creater
07-03-2005, 11:05 PM
well there is no point in takin mine off...although guyana got plenty thieves...my hu is bolted to the eq and also to the frame that holds it to the car's frame...the frame was made specifically for holding the hu and eq to avoid it being stolen...the only time that hu will ever come out again is when its burnt or will be changed...

Th3 Gr8 On3
07-03-2005, 11:08 PM
I never take mine off.

I drive a huge, easily recognizable vehicle, with several large windows and external antennas. Taking off a faceplate wouldn't change much.

I park under lights, in a place where I can keep an eye on it if I need to. At school, I never bump on campus, or otherwise reveal what I've got in back. Never had a problem once....then again, nobody expects a system in my kind of vehicle :rolleyes:

Exactly, I never bump my system around my neighborhood,or school . I always take my faceplate off though because my stereo ALMOST got ripped off last summer. I reccomend an alarm =)

Worlddre
07-04-2005, 12:10 AM
ha fvck takin off the faceplate i hardly ever lock my doors

Justinw303
07-04-2005, 01:19 AM
i take mine off EVERYTIME i get out of my vehicle even if its only at the gas station while im paying, if they know the face is gone and they cant use it or even tell what kind of radio it is they are less likely to steal it.

You have MAJOR problems if you take it off when you pay for gas. Unless you live in downtown Detroit, there is absolutely no reason to do that.

Plus, I don't feel like walkin around with a frickin faceplate in my pocket when I go somewhere.

Get a good alarm, and don't park anywhere that would make it easy for thieves to work.

Black_Jesus
07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
You have MAJOR problems if you take it off when you pay for gas. Unless you live in downtown Detroit, there is absolutely no reason to do that.

Plus, I don't feel like walkin around with a frickin faceplate in my pocket when I go somewhere.

Get a good alarm, and don't park anywhere that would make it easy for thieves to work.i take mine off everytime im out of the car, even if its just a few feet away n i have to go lock the house door or somethin. i, dont, care. if im not there with it, its comin wit ME.

about the faceplate bein in a pocket... nah nah i dont dod at

grab a black radioshack bag, stick dat **** in there.

person: do you go to radioshack a lot? i mean like everytime i see you you have that bag

me: yep

JLCivic
07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
i take mine off everytime im out of the car, even if its just a few feet away n i have to go lock the house door or somethin. i, dont, care. if im not there with it, its comin wit ME.

about the faceplate bein in a pocket... nah nah i dont dod at

grab a black radioshack bag, stick dat **** in there.

person: do you go to radioshack a lot? i mean like everytime i see you you have that bag

me: yep

You say the faceplate is going with you so do you carry the radioshack bag with you? If not, and you leave the RS bag in the car, you really aren't taking the faceplate with you.

supa_c
07-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Well.....since my friend got his stolen, its now going with him everywhere.
Pioneer wanted $326 to get a replacement. Not cheap at all.
But i got a used one off ebay for $81, hopefully the face works !

Prowler573
07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
It's just a good idea to take 'em off. That's why they come off in the first place. Replacement faces are too gawd-awful expensive. I need another face for the g/f's stereo coz her volume knob has gone missing (freggin' kids!!) Alpine wants an arm, a leg, and a firstborn child for one. Been looking on eBay but I can't justify paying close to $100 when all I need is a volume knob. (stereo still works fine - just looks crappy)

IRACEMYCOPCAR
07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
I live in columbia south carolina (ghetto capitol of the south) i do have an alarm, a viper however an alarm only deters thieves it cant stop them, down here they will take a radio even if you have an alarm if they want it bad enough. i cant tell you how many radios i see come into work that i know have been stolen(still have a harness attached/cd inside)

my friend got car jacked at gunpoint by 4 thugs at a movie theatre in a mall parking lot with security and video cameras because they wanted his system(2 MTX9500 15's, Autotek 4000.1D, pioneer AVIC-N1,etc...) they had seen what he had and waited for him to come out. they took EVERYTHING including his viper 791xv alarm and chopped up all his wiring harnesses, his truck was gone for 2 months getting it all repaired/replaced.

This is why i ALWAYS take it off.

And to the guy that says its all bolted in so they cant get it, well good for you, HOWEVER the moron thats breaking into your car doesnt know that so they will bend break and pry anything they can to get it and if they dont i have seen some cars where they couldnt get the $300 radio but cause $3000 damage to the car trying to get it, ive even seen radios that have had screwdrivers stabbed into the face and cd slot because the thief couldnt get it out. which in the end was worse than if they had just stolen it.

you dont have to listen to me but one day it will happen and youll wish you did.

nine9sH
07-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I have an eclipse deck so have no choice really. I rely on my pager alarm to keep my car safe. If it goes off im running straight out to my car. good thing I've been lucky thus far; no one touch my car for about 3years of ownership (knock on wood)

ALC
07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by IRACEMYCOPCAR

^^definately

gnet158
07-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by IRACEMYCOPCAR

^^definately

You guys know your areas better than me, but if I had to remove my faceplate just to put gas then Iíd move somewhere else. Thatís hardcore (and funny).

supa_c
07-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Shoot....my dad leaves the keys in his car with the window down parked in the parking lot.
My mom NEVER takes off her H/U face because its a very un suspecting H/U, even though it cost around $500 canadian

diminishedpower
07-05-2005, 02:19 PM
To all the people that dont do anything, specially because they belive there in a nice town or whatever. It will still happen. I live in a small town were we leave our cars unlocked and crime rate is really low. But I had kids come, break into my car with lights on them the whole time(in my parking lot, and we have a motion sensor light.) Did 2k damage to car. And you need to take plate with you. Because they just take a crowbar to your locked glovebox, i kno.

FAM4LIFE
07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Here in PG County and DC, they are more likely to steal the entire car first. I have a problem with people trying to steal my Base Decal to get on the installation.

People usually steal more from areas they do not live in. No area is safe, no matter how small.

squeak9798
07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
It've never removed my faceplate. My past two decks aren't detachable face (Denford 8240 and now Eclipse 8053), so it's been over a year since I've even had to worry about it. But back when I had detachable face decks, I never took them off. Sold my DEH-840MP to a buddy of mine (I had the deck for probably 2 - 2.5yrs myself), and he asked me how to remove the faceplate. Sad thing is, I couldn't tell him.....LOL. We had to look it up in the owner's manual because I had honestly never had the faceplat off that deck the entire time I owned it.

And in my little *** town, even if someone did steal my stereo it would take all of about 2 hours to find out who did it and either 1) tell the cops who did it and have them go get it back, or 2) get a couple buddies and go beat their *** and take it back (or something of comparable value).

gnet158
07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
To all the people that dont do anything, specially because they belive there in a nice town or whatever. It will still happen. I live in a small town were we leave our cars unlocked and crime rate is really low. But I had kids come, break into my car with lights on them the whole time(in my parking lot, and we have a motion sensor light.) Did 2k damage to car. And you need to take plate with you. Because they just take a crowbar to your locked glovebox, i kno.

Yea I agree, nowhere is completely 100% safe. But come one, removing your faceplate to put gas? Thatís extreme in my books.

Justintoxicated
07-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I just got an eclipse to avoid the hassle

ALC
07-06-2005, 02:27 PM
everyone here knows **** well the cops are not gonna bother drivin around the city (or wherever u live) tryin to find a **** stereo

EFFENDI
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Faceplate always comes off, and goes with me or gets locked up in the glove compartment. I always park in a high visibility area as well.