PDA

View Full Version : speaker installation questions

lazybum
06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I bought a 2 sets of 6.5" components to replace my oem speakers. I know I need the adapter plates to install the components into the rear 6x9 opening and front 5.25" opening but is there anything else I need? I've heard some people mention poor bass because of it being "free air"? What exactly is that? What do I have to do to get the best possible sound quality out of my components? Btw, its going into a 04 accord coupe if that helps. I've heard some people mentioning baffles for better bass quality, does that really work? If so, i've seen foam baffles and plastic baffles, which are better? Sorry about all these questions but if you dont already know, I'm a newbie but I want to learn a lot. Thanks.

JAZN
06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
pretty much just follow this.
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95925

squeak9798
06-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I've heard some people mention poor bass because of it being "free air"? What exactly is that?

Well, it isn't really "free air", the proper term is "infinite baffle"....which essentially just means the speaker is not mounted in an enclosure. Just mounted to a baffle that [should] separate the rear waves of the speaker from the frontwaves.

Now, it is not inherently "bad" to mount a speaker IB (infinite baffle). It all depends on the design of the speaker. Some speaker, yes, will benefit from being in an enclosure. Others, however, were designed to perform maximally IB in your door, and an enclosure should not be used on those speakers.

The baffles you speak of are simply to protect the speaker from water and such. Doors leak, no getting around it. And you don't really want that water dripping onto your speakers mounted in your door. So, you can buy those baffles to protect the speaker from the elements. If you are going to use one, I prefer the foam baffles.

Beyond that, like Jazn said.....follow some of the things in that tutorial and deaden the hell out of your door.