PDA

View Full Version : custom componnet system how does this sound?

sirloin
06-09-2005, 01:36 AM
ok so ive been reading alot about midbass, tweets, crossovers and what not. i have peiced together this system tell me if it sounds good to you guys

6.5xxx midbass
DLS UR 1.1 tweet
audio control 2xs active crossover

how does that sound so far? am i missing any components? ill be running them of an amp still to be decided..if anyone can refer an amp that would be great. i will be using the new CD5425 hu by eclipse. it's ugly but at least it has 5v pre out you know?

denver

squeak9798
06-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Two things:

#1: Does that xover allow you to bandpass the mid? If not, how did you plan on bandpassing the mid?

#2: If you are a novice at this, I would not suggest using Audiocontrol crossovers. Reason being; they don't use knobs to change crossover frequency. They use what's called "modules", which is basically packs of resistors. So, to change a crossover frequency..instead of just being able to turn a knob, you need to buy resistors and build a pack (or buy an AC pack), take the cover off the crossover, take out the old pack and put the new pack in, replace the cover, then go listen and see if the new crossover point is better. If not, then you need to go through that process again and again and again till you find the right crossover point.

sirloin
06-09-2005, 02:10 AM
thx squeak you are always on top of things. well i have a couple things to
o. and yes i am pretty novie at this.

1. how/what is bandpassing a mid
2. what other active crossovers do you recommend
3 other than the crossover what do you think of the drivers i chose?
4. what amp would you recommend?

thanks a bunch man! you know your stuff!

chubby
06-09-2005, 02:26 AM
audiocontrol DXS is super easy to use and gives a digital visual layout of your crossover points. i highly suggest it for novices and audiophiles alike.

chubby
06-09-2005, 02:27 AM
oh, and you mean ampS (plural), right?

that setup should sound great. But the XXXs do awesome when coupled with a dedicated midrange if you have the space/funds.

sirloin
06-09-2005, 02:33 AM
as much as i would love a dedicated midrange. i DO NOT have the space. i drive a stick car. and can't put nothing in my kicks. i tried fiberglassing something together. but it took up my dead pedal. and i NEED that. and why would i need more than 1 amp to run my speakers? jw? is there something i am missing about that?

squeak9798
06-09-2005, 02:35 AM
1. how/what is bandpassing a mid

Bandpassing is when you both highpass and lowpass on a speaker. You will need to do this to your mid to limit both how high and how low it plays.

One thing I will warn you; When setting xover points, be very careful of your highpass crossover setting for the tweeter. It is possible to damage them by setting the xover point too low. It doesn't take much to bottom out a tweeter.

2. what other active crossovers do you recommend

You can pick up the Coustic XM6 on ebay for good prices (TheStereoDirect on ebay is an authorized Coustic outlet). Seems like Kicker and MTX both have reasonably priced units that include a bandpass filter.

3 other than the crossover what do you think of the drivers i chose?

Both of those are great drivers. Properly setup, it should sound awesome.

4. what amp would you recommend?

Depends on your budget. I'd go simple and just look for a 4-channel. Sounddomain has some killer deals on Kicker refurbs, however.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC04SX70042

Actually, check the manuals or with Polecat on here, but if the Kicker SX series allows you to use both the internal highpass and lowpass on one channel at the same time (bandpass each channel), you'd be able to use the built in DSP of those Kicker SX amps and totally eliminate your need for an external crossover. Bandpass on two channels for the mids, and highpass the other two channels for the tweets.

Also, someone over on ECA is selling some: http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=114467

I dunno...something to check into

Exaran
06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
...and why would i need more than 1 amp to run my speakers? jw? is there something i am missing about that?

When you use "active" crossovers, they split the signal before the amp. So then you need an amp channel for each speaker (so for 2 tweeters and 2 mids you would need 4 amp channels)

A passive crossover goes after the amp. then you only need 2 channels of amp (right and left) and the crossovers split the already amped signal between all the speakers.

Active is better quality, typically, is more consistant, and allows a LOT more flexibility in tuning

sirloin
06-10-2005, 01:23 AM
well say the tweets only need about 80 watts to them and the mids take about 130. how do i split up the power? i dont want to get 2 amps. i want just a 4 channel? so what do you guys recommend? will the cousic xm6 split up the amp power?

~Magick_Man~
06-10-2005, 03:36 AM
well say the tweets only need about 80 watts to them and the mids take about 130. how do i split up the power? i dont want to get 2 amps. i want just a 4 channel? so what do you guys recommend? will the cousic xm6 split up the amp power?

i dont think it does but with a good 4 channel amp that can put out 100-130 watts per channel you can turn the gain down on the channels that would run the tweeters to give them less power than will be going to the mids.

~Magick_Man~

squeak9798
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
well say the tweets only need about 80 watts to them and the mids take about 130.

Which is fine, since the XXX mids are 2ohm they'll receive ~2x the power that the tweeters will. So, if you get a, say, 75w x 4 @ 4ohm amp, the tweeters would get 75w (assuming they are 4ohm), and the mids would receive ~150w each.

how do i split up the power?

You don't. Each speaker will be on it's own independent channel. No "power splitting" needed since there will only be 1 speaker on each channel. But, you will need atleast 4 channels of amplification (one channel for each speaker)

i dont want to get 2 amps. i want just a 4 channel?

Yes...one like those I linked you to ;)

so what do you guys recommend? will the cousic xm6 split up the amp power?

No. Crossovers DO NOT "split" the power (neither active nor passive).

What the XM6 WILL do, however, is split the frequencies being input to each channel on the amplifier. It will only send the frequency in the passband of the bandpass filter to the mids, and it will only send the higher frequencies to the tweeter (based on the crossover points YOU select).

But, like I said.....I think those Kicker amp's internal crossovers allow for bandpass (double check with either Kicker or Polecat). And, if they do....then one of those Kicker amps may honestly be a cheaper (and better) option than going with an external active crossover and separate 4-channel amp ;)

sirloin
06-10-2005, 10:51 AM
****...squeak you really got this down man. i think im pretty much set then. now i just need to get in contact with RE. those guys are hard as F*ck to get a hold of. i mean seriosly. i emailed and called them still no return you know? anyone have any other ways of getting the XXX other than straight from RE

req
06-10-2005, 10:57 AM
When you use "active" crossovers, they split the signal before the amp. So then you need an amp channel for each speaker (so for 2 tweeters and 2 mids you would need 4 amp channels)

A passive crossover goes after the amp. then you only need 2 channels of amp (right and left) and the crossovers split the already amped signal between all the speakers.

Active is better quality, typically, is more consistant, and allows a LOT more flexibility in tuning

that is completly untrue. active crossovers cut off the frequency at a given point, and the 'level\volume' will drop by the rolloff (6db per octave, 12db per octave - ect). the EQ will in fact split it before the amp, but remember, 4 channel amps have different RCA inputs. so you can put your tweets on 1\2 and mids on 3\4 and use the first set of RCAs to lowpass, and the second set of RCAs to bandpass.

just because you wanna go active - does not mean you need a different amp for each set of speakers.

active is also not nessicarially better quality. if you DIY your own 4th order passive crossover correctly, it can most certainly be better than a newb with a $500 TRU Xover who has no idea what it does.