PDA

View Full Version : ribbon tweets

JAZN
06-08-2005, 06:01 PM
anyone here running ribbon tweets? opinions?

im not liking the dispersion of my regular tweets. still sounds like the stage is halfway up the dash rather than on top of it. ive tried pointing em in a ton of different directions and am not completely pleased. just wanna try something new.
thanks.

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Head on over to diymobileaudio.com I will be running them shortly. Mine are in the mail :yumyum: There is allot of good info over there in regards to ribbons and other diy audio, hence the name :laugh:

Kali

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Ribbons would be perfect for an emo kid like you :thumbupw:

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm too lazy to go and look it up.....but don't ribbons have worse dispersion that regular tweeters? IIRC, ribbons have good vertical dispersion, but poor off-axis dispersion and response.

But if I'm wrong, just call me a ******* and forget what you read.

cjjackson85
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Ribbons would be perfect for an emo kid like you :thumbupw:
Keep it in the lounge, n00b. :)

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm too lazy to go and look it up.....but don't ribbons have worse dispersion that regular tweeters? IIRC, ribbons have good vertical dispersion, but poor off-axis dispersion and response.

But if I'm wrong, just call me a ******* and forget what you read.

Depends on the ribbon. The LCY's are supposed to have wider vertical dispersion than say the Aurum Cantus. But yes you are correct Squeak ;) No ******* for you. LOL

Kali

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I am sorry, actually they have limited vertical dispersion but the LCY has a decent vertical dispersion compared to some other brands. They are known for there dynamics and high sensitivity.

Jazn, Read this if you are considering ribbons. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Kali

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
They're a P.I.T.A. though. All you have to do is read up on HT reviews of ribbons and listen to the trouble they have in thier listening rooms.

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 06:28 PM
I am sorry, actually they have limited vertical dispersion but the LCY has a decent vertical dispersion compared to some other brands. They are known for there dynamics and high sensitivity.

Jazn, Read this if you are considering ribbons. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Kali

Ah....I had it backwards. I think req's dyslexia is rubbing off on me...... :D I knew they were dispersion limited in some way :cool:

So if more dispersion is what you are looking for Jazn...I don't know if the ribbons would give it to ya.

Horns, on the other hand, have excellent vertical and horizontal dispersion *wink wink*

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:29 PM
They're a P.I.T.A. though. All you have to do is read up on HT reviews of ribbons and listen to the trouble they have in thier listening rooms.

I don't agree. Sure they cost a little more, but are well worth it. I went to my buddies shop the other day, where they have home and car audio and listened to some ribbons. Let me tell you I have yet to hear a pair of dome tweets that match them. All personal preference just like anything else in this hobby.

Kali

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 06:29 PM

But cheapboy (npdang) literally replaced his ribbon with Reynold's aluminum foil with amazingly good results (IIRC he liked it better than the original ribbon). Can't beat that as far as cheap replacements/upgrades go :p: :D

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I didn't say they sound bad... I just said getting the position right is a pain. Not to mention the sacrifices one has to make to mount them.

Note: this is from a stickler for "stock" looking installs.

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Ah....I had it backwards. I think req's dyslexia is rubbing off on me...... :D I knew they were dispersion limited in some way :cool:

So if more dispersion is what you are looking for Jazn...I don't know if the ribbons would give it to ya.

Horns, on the other hand, have excellent vertical and horizontal dispersion *wink wink*

I agree w/ Squeak. Jazn if it is more dispersion Ribbons are most likely not for you. Plus you have to think of everything else. They have to have a cap run inline with them. Some kicks will have to be made for them, etc.....

Kali

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
I didn't say they sound bad... I just said getting the position right is a pain. Not to mention the sacrifices one has to make to mount them.

Note: this is from a stickler for "stock" looking installs.

Agreed ;) They do take allot of work to get to look good and to have positioned properly. However if done right, you will be hard pressed to find a set of domes that can compete, especially with only needing 1-15wrms ;)

Kali

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Time to put full range electro-stats in my dash......

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Jazn,
Are you running an active setup? That is something else to think about. Because if not you may have trouble mating your midrange w/ your ribbons.

Kali

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Time to put full range electro-stats in my dash......

Nice :veryhapp: LOL. DO IT!!

Kali

JimJ
06-08-2005, 06:38 PM
especially with only needing 1-15wrms

Someone who speaks to my heart...

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Someone who speaks to my heart...

:slap: No!

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Just lay one of these on your dash.......
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-702&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/264-702m.jpg

Over 4 feet long :D :thumbupw:

Kali77
06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
:slap: No!

:eyebrow:

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Tube boy and his low power..... someone needs to pound some Taylor gene into him!

JimJ
06-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Tube boy and his low power.....

Not *everything* I have is low power or high efficiency...just the things that sound great :D

audiolife
06-08-2005, 06:57 PM
i wouldnt do ribbons in a car. way too much of a headache. i dont like headaches so thats why i always recomend the k.i.s.s. approach. sure it might not land you in any mags but it sure is fun beating up in comp the cars that do. lol. within the next couple weeks when my new carpet and stuff gets here ill post good pics of my ultra simple set up. and i will bet money it will exceed about everyones expectations. if sq is your goal too much is usually worse than not enough.

JAZN
06-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Head on over to diymobileaudio.com I will be running them shortly. Mine are in the mail :yumyum: There is allot of good info over there in regards to ribbons and other diy audio, hence the name :laugh:

Kali
are you getting the lcy 130s from npdang?
yea ive been reading up on the diymobileaudio forum lately, trying to learn more cuz my learning curve here has pretty much topped off here.

Kali77
06-08-2005, 07:01 PM
are you getting the lcy 130s from npdang?
yea ive been reading up on the diymobileaudio forum lately, trying to learn more cuz my learning curve here has pretty much topped off here.

Yep, they shipped out yesterday :naughty:

Kali

JAZN
06-08-2005, 07:01 PM
alrite thanx for all the help guys. looks like horns are more suited for what i need. it just seems my tweets are so inconsistent with my music. the central singer/voice wont be in the same place for like 2 different tracks, and this is using the iasca disc the whole time.

hey squeak, if you're selling your horns still, send me a PM on the price. thanx mang.

JAZN
06-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Just lay one of these on your dash.......
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-702&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/images/264-702m.jpg

Over 4 feet long :D :thumbupw:
lol 25lbs, thats as much as my sub weighs.

Beat_Dominator
06-08-2005, 07:05 PM
While there are some knowlegeable people in here...

My Carver amp can't take the 8v input that my Eclpise puts out, so it is recieving the -12dB signal from my D7 amp. I can turn the gain up on the AUX out on the D7......

But if I just do that and don't use the gains on the Carver, then the carver won't put out full power right?

audiolife
06-08-2005, 07:06 PM
horns are really forgiving in staging as are coinccidental drivers. planear and ribbons stink in cars (not saying it cant work but is way too much hit and miss) because the auto environment isnt kind with acoustics at all.

JAZN
06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
o gawd i just got a boner
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3292&item=5780339769&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
theyre gonna end up around 300+ though :(

audiolife
06-08-2005, 07:24 PM
lol you coulda bought mine a few months ago for 2 bens i had 2 sets req has a set cd-2 and the cd-3 ultra set already changed hands again.

JAZN
06-08-2005, 07:27 PM
awwwww :(
2 bills is ridiculously low. you must be nice, or req likes you in special ways :p:

audiolife
06-08-2005, 07:35 PM
nuh i had to make room and didnt want to go all out in my truck. simply not enough room for what i would want to do and use the horns. remodeling a house thats stuffed with everything since i graduated highschool in 89 made me sell alot of things.

AznRevlAzn
06-08-2005, 07:38 PM
times like this i wish i didn't buy those 3 sets of Auro Silk Domes... ...oh well :)

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 11:14 PM
YGPM Jazn

JAZN
06-08-2005, 11:50 PM
hey squeak, i'll see what that auction i listed above ends up as and if i can't win that, then we'll probably talk.

JAZN
06-08-2005, 11:52 PM
can someone explain to me how a horn at sub-knee level, pointing forward, can make a soundstage on top of the dash. i'm speaking in terms of physics and a scientific explanation. i'm guessing it has to do with dispersion but could one of yall experts go further in depth? TIA.

WheresTheButta
06-09-2005, 12:02 AM
not to break anyone's heart or anything
but I bid on those horns myself.....
max bid is a secret shhhhhh
just hopefully the first step in getting my SQ up to par =)

JAZN
06-09-2005, 12:40 AM
o no u didnt! :p:
i'm just gonna keep raising the bid to see what your max bid is.

squeak9798
06-09-2005, 01:24 AM
can someone explain to me how a horn at sub-knee level, pointing forward, can make a soundstage on top of the dash. i'm speaking in terms of physics and a scientific explanation. i'm guessing it has to do with dispersion but could one of yall experts go further in depth? TIA.

Horns dispersion isn't just straight forward.....they also have a lot of verticle dispersion. The horns are actually designed to be used very off-axis like that (for various other reasons, aswell). And, what ends up happening is that the sound from the horns follows up the dash, giving you that nice high soundstage. That's why it's always a good idea to have a "connecting bridge" between the top of the mouth of the horn, and the bottom of your dash.

Also, ever notice why car audio horns are flared, and most pro/home audio horns aren't?? It's to fascilitate the horizontal dispersion of the horns. Due to the close confines of the automotive enviornment, the horn needs to actually divert most of it's energy towards the center of the vehicle (and opposite listener) to give you that nice center imaging. That's why the straight pro-audio style horns (like are sold on partsexpress) won't work very well in a car without tons and tons of work. Tonality may sound good, but the imaging would be screwed up.

Don't think that was very "technical" or "scientific".....but that's basically, in a nut shell, what's happening.

JAZN
06-09-2005, 01:35 AM
ahh very insightful, thanks brad.

Beat_Dominator
06-09-2005, 01:50 AM
I guess I'll try this crap out :(

GSteg
06-12-2005, 03:53 AM
Vertical disperson on ribbon tweeters are alright. The LCYs are more forgiving since the actual ribbons are wider than say the Aurum Cantus G2si. Horizontal disperson? what's that? :D

Horns and ribbon tweeters are very different physically and sonically. Ribbons are easier to put in the kick area than mounting horns under the dash (especially if you have those big cd2s where you'll want strong braces to keep them hanging). But out of the box, the horns will eat crap on the ribbons as far as imaging and sound staging. You thought imaging and staging small format dome tweeters was hard? Try doing so with ribbons and see exactly how much longer it'll take. As least in dome tweeters, the dispersion is uniform. In ribbons, the dispersion is limited to vertically and right on on-axis otherwise you can lose a lot of volume.

Secondly, they both sound different. Some people find horns to be very lively and upfront. Some *may* consider horns kind of harsh, but thats probably due to the fact that the horns are playing a wide range of freq and that usually makes it sound a bit harsher. Ribbons sound more airy or transparent. They have the shimmery sparkly highs that you probably won't find much with horns. Set up right, they can be less fatiguing than horns.

Lastly, ribbons can be tougher to integrate into a system, especially a 2-way system. Smaller ribbons are not able to get down as low as horns. Most horns will have no trouble playing at 1000hz. Lots of ribbons, depending how big they are, are limited to around 1.5 or so. The Aurum Cantus G2si are limited to around 2.5khz. Finding a mid to get up there is going to be pretty tough, especially if you have to use it for midbass also.

horns and ribbons are for different folks. From what I have seen, many people prefer one or the other. Not many will like them both equally (different taste in sound).

JAZN
06-12-2005, 04:23 AM
ahh great info. seems like i went the right way for what i want.