PDA

View Full Version : Is fiberglass matting necessary?

fatryan
06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
im fabbing some enclosure for my comps right now. and i cannot, for the life of me, get the **** matting on. i tried tearing it as opposed to cutting it, but it just sticks to my gloves. i managed to get only a few small pieces on before the glass hardened and i couldnt go any further. do i even really need it? im only running 75wrms comps, so does it need to really be THAT strong. the first coat alone was pretty strong. it will take me like 10 years and $1,000 worth of wasted fiberglass before i'd even finish. TIA.

AzGrower
06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Are you using the correct resin? It should stick fairly easy. Try "dabbing" resin on matting to get it started. The matting will turn clear or see through when its soaked. It usually isnt hard at all. What weight matting are you using? like 3/4 oz, 1.5 oz chop matte?

BeanII
06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
sounds like you mixed your resin too hot sir. You should get at least 20 min of play out of it. Req's real good at glassing techniques........ (even though he didn't take any of my advice).haha. I've glassed quite a lot myself....

quick hints I'll give ya.

1-Your resin mixture should contain only 10-15 % catalyst. Obviously the more you use that faster it gets hard, and it may crack. But if you don't use enough it'll never dry.

2- Cut out all of your stuff ahead of time before you try and lay it down. One technique that I like is cut bigger pieces of teh matt in the shape of what ever it is you're glassing, soak em up and layer them together. Making sure the matt really soaks up the resin. Then putting on one big piece over the entire area. Using a roller (in needed) to form it.

Hope this helps a little.

P.S........ Try to cut and trim your sh1t while the resin is still wet. It makes life a lot easier.

fatryan
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Are you using the correct resin? It should stick fairly easy. Try "dabbing" resin on matting to get it started. The matting will turn clear or see through when its soaked. It usually isnt hard at all. What weight matting are you using? like 3/4 oz, 1.5 oz chop matte?
i believe its the right resin. I think its Bondo brand. But i must have the wrong matting. Mine looks like a bunch of white straw mashed together. And how the heck do i get an accurate measurement of the hardener. i just did 14drops per ounce like the can says. thanx

Thanx Bean, for the tips

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:00 PM
can i just use paper towel or something?

req
06-08-2005, 05:15 PM
i believe its the right resin. I think its Bondo brand. But i must have the wrong matting. Mine looks like a bunch of white straw mashed together. And how the heck do i get an accurate measurement of the hardener. i just did 14drops per ounce like the can says. thanx

whatever the can says is perfect.

bondo brand, however expensive, is fine.

your matting, is fine.

if you are trying to put the matting on and its sticking to your fingers, try not to get the resin on your gloves - :laugh:

one hand for the cup you hold, one hand for the brush. put a light coat over your area, and pick up a piece of matte (i like to rip pieces off, it conforms better to curves this way) and then put the glass down (without touching the resin with your gloves) and then use the brush to dab it into the resin and have it stick. then get some more resin on your brush, and paint the top. it should soak up (remembr the dabbing motion)

you can put down several pieces of matte down at once as you get better at this - but do your best to keep the resin off your gloves, or change them when they get soiled (lol) so it dosnt stick to you as badly.

ive gotten to a point, where i get literally NO resin on my hands while i work on a project, and i glassed my doors in about 15 minutes (2~3 layers)

keep practicing, and you will get it down too. and bean, i dont really have a need for those ideas yet. when i do my RL-S box, i may try it :)

i just dont see how it conforms to the kind of curves im playing with, and ATM - i dont need it that thick.

req
06-08-2005, 05:16 PM
can i just use paper towel or something?

not unless its made of woven fiberglass :naughty:

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:21 PM
ok thanx, but since im such a n00b at glassing, i know ill keep f*ckin it up. so do i REALLY need the matting? cause its like 1,000,000 times easier without it.

BeanII
06-08-2005, 05:37 PM
ok thanx, but since im such a n00b at glassing, i know ill keep f*ckin it up. so do i REALLY need the matting? cause its like 1,000,000 times easier without it.

yeah, that's where the strength comes from. :)

can you send any pics of what you're trying to do? That always helps to make recomendations.

AzGrower
06-08-2005, 05:39 PM
ok thanx, but since im such a n00b at glassing, i know ill keep f*ckin it up. so do i REALLY need the matting? cause its like 1,000,000 times easier without it.Yes thats what gives you the strength. You should only need a few layers for kick panel. Keep trying mane.

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:40 PM
pix are a REAL pain in the ***. so im gonna hafta wait till i have time, i cant do it now.

but as for the hardness, its pretty **** hard already with only 2 coats. so if the matting only serves for strength purposes, then i think ill be fine bypassing it. it doesnt prevent cracking or anything does it?

BeanII
06-08-2005, 05:40 PM
and bean, i dont really have a need for those ideas yet. when i do my RL-S box, i may try it :)
i just dont see how it conforms to the kind of curves im playing with, and ATM - i dont need it that thick.

phhhhh :rolleyes: whatever.

No, I think the problem is what's lost in the translation over the internet. You know what I mean? I can't describe well enough the technique. I wish I could show you in person, then it'd make perfect sense. Maybe when those dudes buy you a ticket to dallas! If they do, I'll at least buy you a beer.

I don't work for beer, I work with it! :)

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:43 PM
also, im going to be covering all the glass with my fatmat too. so that will add a bit of strength/protection.

AzGrower
06-08-2005, 05:45 PM
also, im going to be covering all the glass with my fatmat too. so that will add a bit of strength/protection.

Not a good idea at all.

jujumantb
pix are a REAL pain in the ***. so im gonna hafta wait till i have time, i cant do it now.

but as for the hardness, its pretty **** hard already with only 2 coats. so if the matting only serves for strength purposes, then i think ill be fine bypassing it. it doesnt prevent cracking or anything does it?
haha you NEED the matting if it will be enclosing a speaker. I dont even think you can cal lit fiberglassing if you dont use fiberglass, it would just be resining... or something. Although it seems hard, you will probably get flexing with just resin. Trust me, slow down, take you time, and USE THE MAT!!!

fatryan
y?

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:46 PM
haha you NEED the matting if it will be enclosing a speaker. I dont even think you can cal lit fiberglassing if you dont use fiberglass, it would just be resining... or something. Although it seems hard, you will probably get flexing with just resin. Trust me, slow down, take you time, and USE THE MAT!!!
****it, you gave me the wrong answer!! ha ha i guess ill try again with the mat.

why is fatmatting over the glass bad?

jujumantb
06-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I'll give you a "cheating" way to do it, may not be the best way, but I've done it in the past and it has not sacraficed any strength...

The technique:
Before each new layer of glass (after the one before is completely dry), spray down spray adhesive (3M brand works good) on the entire thing, wait for it to tack up, then cut pieces of mat and lay them on it, using more glue for overlaps. Get the entire area covered and stuck, then apply resin and saturate the mat. This technique will keep the mat in place as you apply the resin, it works well.

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:51 PM
I'll give you a "cheating" way to do it, may not be the best way, but I've done it in the past and it has not sacraficed any strength...

The technique:
Before each new layer of glass (after the one before is completely dry), spray down spray adhesive (3M brand works good) on the entire thing, wait for it to tack up, then cut pieces of mat and lay them on it, using more glue for overlaps. Get the entire area covered and stuck, then apply resin and saturate the mat. This technique will keep the mat in place as you apply the resin, it works well.
i hope i got some spray adhesive...

fatryan
06-08-2005, 05:53 PM
nope, dont have any. will spray paint or super glue work?

or hot glue gun?

jujumantb
06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
nope, dont have any. will spray paint or super glue work?

or hot glue gun?
Never tried those, but it seems to me they would be a pain to work with and not give as good of results. Personally I'd only use spray glue.

fatryan
06-08-2005, 06:00 PM
i found some spray glue, but my mom says it never fully dries (just stays tacky). is that a problem?

fatryan
06-08-2005, 06:06 PM
ok screw it, im gonna use it anyways. 1 last thing...

y is it bad to put fatmat over fiberglass?

AzGrower
06-08-2005, 06:20 PM
ok screw it, im gonna use it anyways. 1 last thing...

y is it bad to put fatmat over fiberglass?

You wont be able to cover them, maybe add a few layers INSIDE the kicks, not on the outside. It will look like ***. But it seems like you dont really care anyways since you seem to like to cut corners on projects.

jujumantb
06-08-2005, 06:24 PM
i found some spray glue, but my mom says it never fully dries (just stays tacky). is that a problem?
nope, all you need it for is to hold the mat in place while you resin, its not meant to ever provide strength in the final product

fatryan
06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
You wont be able to cover them, maybe add a few layers INSIDE the kicks, not on the outside. It will look like ***. But it seems like you dont really care anyways since you seem to like to cut corners on projects.
no need to be so mean. i dont cut corners, i just dont know what to do. i was just asking if the matting was necessary.

anyways, no, i dont care what it looks like cause its all gonna be covered by my midpanels anyways. so if looks is the only reason not to put fatmat over the glass, then ill do it.

i put another layer of glass on. the spray adhesive thing worked pretty well, thanx for the tip juju.

temposs
06-08-2005, 10:35 PM
I've been doing fiberglass work for about 7 months now, I just this week made a custom rollpan for my 97 Explorer using foam, followed by cloth for the flat areas and mat for the corners. Here are some tips in addition to what Req was saying:

- Paint a thin layer of resin across the surface you are about to glass. This will allow the mat/cloth to stick in place, so you aren't forced to hold it down with your hands.

- Purchase an extremely cheap angle grinder with 80 grit flap wheels. Makes leveling the final product, or cleaning up edges a breeze.

- If working with matting, lay as large a piece as possible, so long as it covers a flat surface. Bending mat around corners and curves should be done in smaller pieces. If you use too big of a piece, the mat will tend to pull itself up when you are jabbing the resin in. Req's advice on ripping the mat helps around corners a lot, too.

- If a particular area of matting won't stick right away, do a heavy load of resin on it and come back in a minute. The resin needs time to break down the stuff which holds the actually fibers togeter in the mat. Should stick then.

- Grind air bubbles out after each layer with the angle grinder.

- I hate putting tons of body filler on my projects. When I am done glassing and beginning finishing, I first use the angle grinder and knock down all the high obvious spots. After this, I take a sanding block with some 40 grit and sand evenly across the entire thing for about 30 minutes to an hour. You will now see all the low spots. Take resin and mix it up with the proper amount of hardener. Use a paint brush and paint a thick coat of resin all over the surface. Quickly, before it dries, take a putty knife and run it all the way across the surface and wipe the excess off the knife and repeat. This will get the resin in the low spots, saving you a lot of filling later.

- Demand perfection. If it doesn't look good, take the angle grinder, grind it back, and try again. It is worth the extra effort to make it look perfect.

AzGrower
06-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I wasnt being mean, just realistic. Every other reply states to take your time and use the matting, and every reply from you was looking for a way around it. You asked for advice, we gave it, and you dont seem to want to use it.

req
06-09-2005, 01:03 AM
do NOT skip using matting.

use it - or it will break. period.

if its a problem, rip tiny pieces off, and stick them in a layer of resin thats on the surface. then cover with a layer of resin, and repeat. if you have to do the whole thing with 3" ripped pieces - so beit.

practice makes perfect, and you wont get better\faster at it if you stop trying. it took me a while to get it down to a rythm, but once you do - it goes incredibly fast.

now does anyone wanna send me some flush baffles (router'd)? lol. i need a router :(

TPABlazer
06-09-2005, 01:10 AM
I'll throw in another reccomendation for "nut up and learn to use the matte"

fatryan
06-09-2005, 01:50 AM
I wasnt being mean, just realistic. Every other reply states to take your time and use the matting, and every reply from you was looking for a way around it. You asked for advice, we gave it, and you dont seem to want to use it.
go back and read the posts. the reason i asked so much is cause i wasnt getting the right or a full answer.

fatryan
06-09-2005, 01:52 AM
ive got the matting down now. im using the adhesive idea. its great.

for those who helped, thanx.

for those with dumba$$ posts, go f*ck yourself

req
06-09-2005, 01:52 AM
that was unnessicary dude.

you can count me out on helping you anymore.

fatryan
06-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Unneccessary? havent you read some of the posts? THEY are unecessary. and im not in the mood to be reading them right now. i get sick of the BS posts that provide no help. why waste the time? just dont post if you can help (not u req). im just pissed cause i get this alot at CA.com, nowhere else.

BeanII
06-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Unneccessary? havent you read some of the posts? THEY are unecessary. and im not in the mood to be reading them right now. i get sick of the BS posts that provide no help. why waste the time? just dont post if you can help (not u req). im just pissed cause i get this alot at CA.com, nowhere else.

well, maybe you shouldn't post here if you don't already know everything....... sheesh. :rolleyes:

fatryan
06-09-2005, 02:52 AM
well, maybe you shouldn't post here if you don't already know everything....... sheesh. :rolleyes:
what are you talking about?

BeanII
06-09-2005, 03:06 AM
i get sick of the BS posts that provide no help. why waste the time? just dont post if you can help (not u req). im just pissed cause i get this alot at CA.com, nowhere else.

I agree with you..... this board isn't as helpful to those that need it as it used to be (with some exceptions).

apperently it's against the rules to not first do a search for you question before you ask it.

fatryan
06-09-2005, 03:16 AM
I agree with you..... this board isn't as helpful to those that need it as it used to be (with some exceptions).

apperently it's against the rules to not first do a search for you question before you ask it.
oh ok, i follow now. well i havent been here too long so its always been this way for me. i mean, seriously, its not like...terrible or anything, but it gets old REALLY quick. and sometimes (like tonight) when im already pissed, readin some of the BS that gets posted really puts me over the top. And i often have a problem holding back. I dont know what Req's problem is, i wasnt even talking about him. Hes only ever been helpful to me...

BeanII
06-09-2005, 03:20 AM
No, req seems to be a pretty good dude. He's also one of the most help guys on here (he doesn't listen to me though)....... Anyway, this is what he was talking about.

He's right, it's unnecessary. There's no reason for you to post something like that.

next time try something a little less offensive like, "for those with dumba$$ posts, may your girlfriends come down with chlamydia."

You know, something not so harsh.

fatryan
06-09-2005, 03:30 AM
No, req seems to be a pretty good dude. He's also one of the most help guys on here (he doesn't listen to me though)....... Anyway, this is what he was talking about.

He's right, it's unnecessary. There's no reason for you to post something like that.

next time try something a little less offensive like, "for those with dumba$$ posts, may your girlfriends come down with chlamydia."

You know, something not so harsh.
like i said, i was pissed. and sick of the BS posts. Cursing isnt that big of a deal to me, so it must not have the same affect on me as it does on req and you. req is acting like i shot his dog or something. its just a **** curse...f*ck ****ity ********...its not hurting any1. its my self expression of anger. i think it was justified. if some1 attacks me, you **** well better believe that im coming back at them. i dont need ******** remarks thrown at me. people who do **** like that should be banned. and im not trying to be a ****, but im not at all sorry for that post. if everyone on CA.com were helpful like you and req, then there'd be no need for a post like that. but thats not the case.

AzGrower
06-09-2005, 10:20 AM
I imagine you are aiming your frustration at me, but if you take the time to read the 2nd post, which was the first reply, I gave you great advice, which is the correct advice...READ...

"Are you using the correct resin? It should stick fairly easy. Try "dabbing" resin on matting to get it started. The matting will turn clear or see through when its soaked. It usually isnt hard at all. What weight matting are you using? like 3/4 oz, 1.5 oz chop matte?"

That was my original post. I wasnt trying to be a smart *** or **** anyone off.

BeanII
06-09-2005, 10:47 AM
I imagine you are aiming your frustration at me, but if you take the time to read the 2nd post, which was the first reply, I gave you great advice, which is the correct advice...READ...

"Are you using the correct resin? It should stick fairly easy. Try "dabbing" resin on matting to get it started. The matting will turn clear or see through when its soaked. It usually isnt hard at all. What weight matting are you using? like 3/4 oz, 1.5 oz chop matte?"

Dude, you are a jerk!

may you girlfriend come down with a yeast infection.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

UndercoverPunk
06-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I like how he's getting mad when you guys are giving him a hard time....
He asked if you could fiberglass...without using the glass fibers ...:laugh:

TPABlazer
06-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Am I reading the same thread? The first page is people telling you to use the matte, and how to use it, then you ask if a paper towe will work.. or if you really need to use it, again. and then you get huffy and puffy when someone says you seem like you are cutting corners? and we are all in the wrong?

req
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
it was my understanding, that this is a public forum. if you dont like some of the replies, ignore them, and try to understand the people who are trying to help.

i do agree, there are some people on here who post in the threads just to post. thats what the lounge is for guys. keep it there where its wanted.

but as for telling people to 'eff off', its just not called for. i swear just as much as the next guy, but seriously, people who are telling you what to do, and you trying to cut corners, and them putting it to you straight was the topic of this thread.

ignore the other idiots who act like chillins in the wrong forums ( you know who you guys are... :o )

sorry to not be so inviting, but anger is never the best reaction to a mediocre problem. and if you are mad, take it out somewhere else, where somone wont take it offensivly. like your own cat. or maybe a bum on the street. or better yet, if you have a woman, get some action :p:

BeanII
06-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Yep, req's a jerk too.

Hope his g/f gets the flu.

fatryan
06-09-2005, 07:00 PM

ok thanx for the help, but the other posts of yours were unnecessary

fatryan
06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Am I reading the same thread? The first page is people telling you to use the matte, and how to use it, then you ask if a paper towe will work.. or if you really need to use it, again. and then you get huffy and puffy when someone says you seem like you are cutting corners? and we are all in the wrong?
dont open your mouth until you read ALL the posts. i said i wasnt gettin correct or full answers...

fatryan
06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
it was my understanding, that this is a public forum. if you dont like some of the replies, ignore them, and try to understand the people who are trying to help.

i do agree, there are some people on here who post in the threads just to post. thats what the lounge is for guys. keep it there where its wanted.

but as for telling people to 'eff off', its just not called for. i swear just as much as the next guy, but seriously, people who are telling you what to do, and you trying to cut corners, and them putting it to you straight was the topic of this thread.

ignore the other idiots who act like chillins in the wrong forums ( you know who you guys are... :o )

sorry to not be so inviting, but anger is never the best reaction to a mediocre problem. and if you are mad, take it out somewhere else, where somone wont take it offensivly. like your own cat. or maybe a bum on the street. or better yet, if you have a woman, get some action :p:read my post above.

and about getting pissed, **** happens. no1 died. i have a hard time ignoring ignorance.

AzGrower
06-10-2005, 01:14 AM
i have a hard time ignoring ignorance.

So do I, as apparent in my other replies on this post. :laugh:

TPABlazer
06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
dont open your mouth until you read ALL the posts. i said i wasnt gettin correct or full answers...

I DID real the whole thread. replies 9 and 10 (and 15) told you in plain english "YES" posts 2 and 3 said YES, but just told you HOW to get the matte to stay. your questions were answered on the first page. DIRECTLY after two people said YES, you questioned it AGAIN.

I cant figure out how someone would think you are trying to cut corners?

BeanII
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM

Wow. You're a jerk too!

Hope your g/f comes down with with the sniffles.

shame on you.

completely unnecessary

hahaha

TPABlazer
06-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Wow. You're a jerk too!

Hope your g/f comes down with with the sniffles.

shame on you.

completely unnecessary

hahaha

How can you be so mean :crying:

req
06-10-2005, 12:45 PM

actually, i missed that part.

because yes. the fiberglass strands interlocked with eachother are the only things holding the **** enclosure together. its pretty ignorant to say that there were alot of "bs posts" because you refused to listen, and kept trying to get out of using fiberglass, and you got replies telling you otherwise, after you woulnt listen - people called you an idiot.

go ahead. try it with a tissue or whatever. see if i care :p:

TPABlazer
06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
:veryhapp:

because yes. the fiberglass strands interlocked with eachother are the only things holding the **** enclosure together. its pretty ignorant to say that there were alot of "bs posts" because you refused to listen, and kept trying to get out of using fiberglass, and you got replies telling you otherwise, after you woulnt listen - people called you an idiot.

:veryhapp:

BeanII
06-10-2005, 01:38 PM
see, i told you req was a jerk.

I wish some strange itchy rash on his nuts.

req
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
:confused:

im not a jerk, im just stating what actually took place :p:

the truth can hurt

*the cat says: MUAHHAHHAHAHA*
http://mixtaper.com/blogs/images/mixtaper_com/sleepy/99/o_Gizmo%20-%20evil%20laugh.JPG

fatryan
06-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I DID real the whole thread. replies 9 and 10 (and 15) told you in plain english "YES" posts 2 and 3 said YES, but just told you HOW to get the matte to stay. your questions were answered on the first page. DIRECTLY after two people said YES, you questioned it AGAIN.

the answers i got didnt fully answer my question, LIKE I SAID 3,000,000 TIMES ALREADY!

fatryan
06-10-2005, 01:59 PM

yeah, apparently you cant read either

req
06-10-2005, 02:03 PM
the answers i got didnt fully answer my question, LIKE I SAID 3,000,000 TIMES ALREADY!

"no you cant" is a full awnser.

i just went thru the entire **** thread up to this quote;

ive got the matting down now. im using the adhesive idea. its great.

for those who helped, thanx.

and you know what? EVERYONE ****ING AWNSERED YOU, regarding to the posts that YOU made (not exactally your first post, but they replied to your other posts)

so stop being a little baby. we tried to help - you got pissed because we told you your little shortcut wouldnt work.

your comments about people not awnsering you are completly bogus - im seriously about to lock this thread.

fatryan
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
"no you cant" is a full awnser.

i just went thru the entire **** thread up to this quote;

and you know what? EVERYONE ****ING AWNSERED YOU, regarding to the posts that YOU made (not exactally your first post, but they replied to your other posts)

so stop being a little baby. we tried to help - you got pissed because we told you your little shortcut wouldnt work.

your comments about people not awnsering you are completly bogus - im seriously about to lock this thread.
GO F*CK YOURSELF, REQ! your not god's gift to the world. NO my godd*mn posts werent answered at first, they were later, but thats not what i said now is it? you dont need to be a f*cking ******* cause you think your right. you didnt ask the questions, i did. and i didnt get them answered. end of f*ckin story.

req
06-10-2005, 02:15 PM
GO F*CK YOURSELF, REQ! your not god's gift to the world. NO my godd*mn posts werent answered at first, they were later, but thats not what i said now is it? you dont need to be a f*cking ******* cause you think your right. you didnt ask the questions, i did. and i didnt get them answered. end of f*ckin story.

pfft. please.

origional post;

im fabbing some enclosure for my comps right now. and i cannot, for the life of me, get the **** matting on. i tried tearing it as opposed to cutting it, but it just sticks to my gloves. i managed to get only a few small pieces on before the glass hardened and i couldnt go any further. do i even really need it? im only running 75wrms comps, so does it need to really be THAT strong. the first coat alone was pretty strong. it will take me like 10 years and $1,000 worth of wasted fiberglass before i'd even finish. TIA.

i believe myself, azgrower, beanII, jujumantb, and temposs were quite civil and tried to help you come to the conclusion that fiberglass matte is a NECISSITY for your project. period.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953429&postcount=2
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953431&postcount=3
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953467&postcount=6
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953529&postcount=15
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953538&postcount=18
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=954239&postcount=27
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=954734&postcount=29

then you came out with this post;

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=954828&postcount=32

wich from then on became a spamfest. the ONLY post i can see you being offended by was this one;

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=954752&postcount=30

and he was just agreeing and further saying that you should use fiberglass.

some proof on your behaf would be nice. but from the evidence, you are being a huge prick for all the help we tried to give you. now go wash your mouth out with soap, and stop acting like a little baby.

fatryan
06-10-2005, 02:22 PM
i asked if i need it. i was told yes. i asked y? i was told for strength. i said it was pretty strong already, and so i asked if it served any other purpose. i was told again, for strength.

^^^by this time, my question was answered. but before that, i got some annoying BS posts. and i got f*cking pissed. i wasnt trying to cut corners, i just wanted an explaination. i dont think i was right, but i am the type of person that likes to understand something fully b4 i do it.

im gonna be the bigger man here and stop with any name calling and such. yes, im still pissed at the BS your saying, but its not worth the argument to me. The reason i posted this thread has already been resolved. so theres really no more need to post any further.

req
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
i posted clear cut facts. how is that BS sir? you did not post any links to anybodys replies that you are mad at.

if you are talking about this one by azgrower;
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953588&postcount=24

and your reply to him;
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=953608&postcount=26

and his reply;
http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=954392&postcount=28

here it is a little more simplified;

no need to be so mean. i dont cut corners, i just dont know what to do. i was just asking if the matting was necessary.

other than that, up to page 3 where you got all pissed off, everything was honest "do it the right way, or dont do it" posts. i still dont understand where all these 'bs posts' are. feel free to link us them.

because you are basing these comments on nothing right now.

fatryan
06-10-2005, 02:34 PM
you know what, req? im F*CKIN lazy! i dont feel like going through all that, cause my computer is slow as hell. so forget it all. im an a$$hole, i was wrong, you are right. i really dont care anymore. if you wanna keep up this fight, then by all means, go for it. but i dont want to, so ill take any blame.

req
06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
im not fighting. you just arent giving me any logical reason to why you got all pissed. you just keep saying you were getting BS posts - where there were virtually none, if any at all. and if you ever find the time to go thru that - its laid out plain and simple.

i just cant stand when people get mad at people giving them real world advice. espically when we all took our time to write up nice posts to help you out.

fatryan
06-10-2005, 02:43 PM
im not fighting. you just arent giving me any logical reason to why you got all pissed. you just keep saying you were getting BS posts - where there were virtually none, if any at all. and if you ever find the time to go thru that - its laid out plain and simple.

i just cant stand when people get mad at people giving them real world advice. espically when we all took our time to write up nice posts to help you out.
if you think i was refering to you, i wasnt. i even said this already. you werent 1 to **** me off, you only gave me advice, and i appreciate that. this was directed to other people.

maybe i just misread what was wrote. it seemed like attacks to me, but maybe i was wrong. sorry for getting all pissed of and ****. its over now. i dont care. i got the info i need to finish my glassing. and the advice i got is very much appreciated. go through any threads ive ever posted, i always thank those who help. i am thankful that i can come here to get help on my installs and stuff, i dont know where id be w/o CA.com.

i must have just misunderstood what was written and took it the wrong way. but its over now. i take back all the FU's and anything else that was mean. im done.

BeanII
06-10-2005, 02:44 PM
The cat thing was funny. I take back what I said about a rash infecting your nuts.

req
06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
LOL.

sokay man. i was under the impression that there werent any insulting comments, just honest trying to tell you what to do, and then you said that one post there on page3.

i just wanted you to understand where everyone else was commin from. and in the future, try not to get so upset about peoples posts. because in reality - its just some dude on the internet.

nothing to loose a breath over ok? :)

i liked the cat too :)

fatryan
06-10-2005, 02:57 PM
LOL.

sokay man. i was under the impression that there werent any insulting comments, just honest trying to tell you what to do, and then you said that one post there on page3.

i just wanted you to understand where everyone else was commin from. and in the future, try not to get so upset about peoples posts. because in reality - its just some dude on the internet.

nothing to loose a breath over ok? :)

i liked the cat too :)
me? or bean?

AzGrower
06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey fatryan, you should be banned.

req
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey fatryan, you should be banned.

thats enough man.

and ive been talking to you ryan.

TPABlazer
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Editing to avoid any more drama

fatryan
06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
thats enough man.

and ive been talking to you ryan.
ok, im gonna take some advice and just ignore azgrower. and yeah, i know i get pissed easily. im bipolar I and not correctly medicated. you should see the fights i have w/my GF. as long as its over now, im happy. so, may we continue in peace and harmony. he he

req
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
ok, im gonna take some advice and just ignore azgrower. and yeah, i know i get pissed easily. im bipolar I and not correctly medicated. you should see the fights i have w/my GF. as long as its over now, im happy. so, may we continue in peace and harmony. he he

yessir.

but just remember, i know you say you are bipolar or whatever, but just take life easy as it comes. take a deep breath before saying anything rash. talk slowly and think about what you are going to say. if you start to get mad, just take a breath, and relax for a second. youd be surprised at how well it works :)

also remember - your oppinion counts just as much as the next guy - but somone with proof\evidence has to be prooven wrong. :)

AzGrower
06-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Yes you need the fiberglass matting for it to work properly.

take a chill pill...dont you understand that I am the type of person who likes to "throw salt in the wound"? The more angry you get, the more I feed from that and the more I toss at you. Have a great day.

req
06-10-2005, 04:30 PM
lol @ that.

your such an *** :D

[he is a sarcastic *******, so dont take him seriously :p:]

BeanII
06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
So, did we decide then that the mat is necessary?

I'm still unclear.

AzGrower
06-10-2005, 06:01 PM
So, did we decide then that the mat is necessary?

I'm still unclear.

I dont like your attitude, I have 2 poles and havent been beer drinking yet today...so I am on the edge! You flopping &^%$))(*^%$%^$#$$ hole mother f(&^$@%&*(er b*tch *** chode smoker holy sh*t bastard! :crazy:

BeanII
06-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I dont like your attitude, I have 2 poles and havent been beer drinking yet today...so I am on the edge! You flopping &^%$))(*^%$%^$#$$ hole mother f(&^$@%&*(er b*tch *** chode smoker holy sh*t bastard! :crazy:

uh, you have two poles.

BeanII
06-10-2005, 06:09 PM
your g/f must be quite happy

req
06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
your g/f must be quite happy

she is quite happy under my desk licking my pole. :uhoh:

AzGrower
06-10-2005, 06:26 PM
You guys can direct any comments or sillyness to me, but please dont cross over the wife or mom areas...I really dont take that too lightly. Its unecessary and it opens a big can of worms with me personally. Thank you.

BeanII
06-10-2005, 06:27 PM
this has become CA.coms most rediculous thread.

wish I had two poles, then maybe I could finally please my wife.

fatryan
06-11-2005, 02:18 AM
yessir.

but just remember, i know you say you are bipolar or whatever, but just take life easy as it comes. take a deep breath before saying anything rash. talk slowly and think about what you are going to say. if you start to get mad, just take a breath, and relax for a second. youd be surprised at how well it works :)

also remember - your oppinion counts just as much as the next guy - but somone with proof\evidence has to be prooven wrong. :)
i wish it were that easy. i know alot...ALOT about Bipolar and other psychological disorders. And ive tried many many techniques for controlling anger and depression, and most i find work minimally at best. Bipolar disorder is very hard to understand if you do not have the disease. no offense, im just saying its basically like i have virtually no judgement at times.

and i had proof, i was just too lazy to get it. :) you really have to see me in person to know how lazy i can be at times. on the original note, i will hopefully be finishing my glassin tommorrow. i did 1 plate already, the last should go much quicker. i really hope i can get my truck all done tommorrow so i can drive her.

bcarpenterfhl
06-11-2005, 03:18 AM
1-Your resin mixture should contain only 10-15 % catalyst. Obviously the more you use that faster it gets hard, and it may crack. But if you don't use enough it'll never dry.

thats the most retarded advice ever, and no one should listen to it. 10-15% of MEKP could easily cause a combustion.

BeanII
06-11-2005, 11:07 AM
thats the most retarded advice ever, and no one should listen to it. 10-15% of MEKP could easily cause a combustion.

haha..... You're right. Sorry. 1-5% Don't know why I said 10-15% the first time.

whooops............ It doesn't matter though, maybe you've noticed after reading this thread that fatryan doesn't listen to any of us anyway.

BeanII
06-11-2005, 11:09 AM
I think I actually said something to you req about using 10-15%......... You must of thought I was crazy.

No wonder you won't take any of my advice.

AzGrower
06-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Perhaps 10-15 drops

MetalMaxima
06-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Jesus christ, that ish would harden near instantaneously.

MetalMaxima
06-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Thread Conclusion:

Matte Is Required For Fiberglassing. There Are Ways Around It But Will Result In Being A Tradeoff Between Working Time And Quality.

Fatryan Is Bi-polar And Lazy...probably Why He Is Fat. Fatryan Also Needs To Take Supplemental Courses In Reading Comprehension.

AzGrower
06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Fatryan Also Needs To Take Supplemental Courses In Reading Comprehension.

Whats the old addage..."you hit the nail on the head"

dbornotdb
06-11-2005, 02:29 PM
:eek:

I missed all this?

:crazy:

fatryan
06-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Thread Conclusion:

Matte Is Required For Fiberglassing. There Are Ways Around It But Will Result In Being A Tradeoff Between Working Time And Quality.

Fatryan Is Bi-polar And Lazy...probably Why He Is Fat. Fatryan Also Needs To Take Supplemental Courses In Reading Comprehension.
yes, we got the matting part covered. yes im lazy, but not too fat anymore. and no, i dont need help with reading comprehension.

MetalMaxima
06-11-2005, 02:34 PM
and no, i dont need help with reading comprehension.

Judging by your inability to grasp the responses given by senior members I am obliged to disagree.

fatryan
06-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Judging by your inability to grasp the responses given by senior members I am obliged to disagree.
im not going to get into another arguement about this again, just go read some of my posts on page 2 and 3.

CONSOLIDATED
06-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Are you trying to dip the matting in the resin and then put it on, or something? That works, but yeah, the matting sticks to your gloves a lot.

My method is to put resin on the whole area I'm fiberglassing before I start putting the matting on. I then lay down a little matting, then more resin untill the matting is clear and thoroughly soaked. That way, the matting sticks to the desired area long enough for me to get the rest of the resin on. I use a paint brush to put down the resin, it seems easier to me than doing it paper mache style.

BeanII
06-11-2005, 02:38 PM
most ridiculous thread ever....

Really, I meant 1%.

jacko
06-11-2005, 02:41 PM
:threadloc I think the question has been covered by now.

BeanII
06-11-2005, 02:43 PM
but the banter has been so much fun!

req for president.................. so long as his nuts don't itch

req
06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
but the banter has been so much fun!

req for president.................. so long as his nuts don't itch

*scratch scratch*

http://www.fotografx.biz/images/location/Roasting%20Shea%20Nuts.jpg

what did you think i was doing :laugh:

BASS OUTLAW
06-11-2005, 03:33 PM
*scratch scratch*

http://www.fotografx.biz/images/location/Roasting%20Shea%20Nuts.jpg

what did you think i was doing :laugh:

Hey thats my MOM!!:laugh:

Rawr-DQ
06-11-2005, 05:41 PM
...and i glassed my doors in about 15 minutes...

Fiberglass doors? The trim and what not, the door panel?

bcarpenterfhl
06-11-2005, 07:16 PM
i've actually just resined before, let it dry, and kitty hair it in to shape. that worked really well for me, so i wouldnt say matting is absolutely necessary.

AzGrower
06-12-2005, 02:53 PM
i've actually just resined before, let it dry, and kitty hair it in to shape. that worked really well for me, so i wouldnt say matting is absolutely necessary.

But then its not really considered fiberglassing right? Only gluing using an epoxy resin as your glue source. The kitty hair product does contain small fiberglass fibers though.

UndercoverPunk
06-12-2005, 03:04 PM

That's all well and good if you don't mind having a weak enclosure... while kitty hair does have glass fibers in it, I woundn't trust it to properly strengthen an enclosure...

But hey, if it worked for you and didn't crack or flex, then it must have been good enough for your application...

bcarpenterfhl
06-12-2005, 03:11 PM
That's all well and good if you don't mind having a weak enclosure... while kitty hair does have glass fibers in it, I woundn't trust it to properly strengthen an enclosure...

But hey, if it worked for you and didn't crack or flex, then it must have been good enough for your application...

it wasnt an enclosure. i did a piece for a 90' mustang and replaced the ash tray with a 7 inch monitor. if it were an enclosure, i agree, kitty-hair would not be sufficient by itself.