PDA

View Full Version : How will the sound quality be?

SirClay
06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I am trying to decide on what head unit to get right now. I had an alpine 9855, but after 2 crappy units, i gave up on the 9855. I am thinking about getting a DVD/cd player with a screen. I was looking at the jensen vm9410 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sLFzJp6xBxK/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?g=62700&I=110VM9410 and i was woundering how much sound quality difference will I get with this than a regular head unit.

Also, I know nothing about in dash dvd players, do I need to purchase like another amp or something for the screen? I'm sorry if that is a dumb question. You have to learn somehow...

tRiGgEr
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Jensen<Alpine

You will not "need" an external amp for that unit. But I always recomend running one regardless.

SirClay
06-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't want to buy another amp though.

tRiGgEr
06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
It's not like you have to. Run your speakers on the HU. Just don't expect great SQ. Your not running any comp sets are you? Because stock speakers are fine off of the HU.

SirClay
06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Stock speakers and jl w6 v2.

packerfan
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Jensen<Alpine

You will not "need" an external amp for that unit. But I always recomend running one regardless.

The screen quality on the jenson owns most of the newer alpines from my expierence.:rolleyes:

BeanII
06-09-2005, 04:28 PM
yeah, that Jensen piece is actually pretty cool. Being that it's a DVD player, it will probably sound better than the alpine too. I think that's a great choice.

tRiGgEr
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
The screen quality on the jenson owns most of the newer alpines from my expierence.:rolleyes:

SQ you gewber...

SirClay
06-09-2005, 10:36 PM
He said screen quality not sound quality.

tRiGgEr
06-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Why must I explain my simple posts? Is the world losing IQ? Are the screens giving you all tumors in the brain?

Jensen<Alpine on SQ. Your question was "Will you notice less Sound Quality?"

Now packer fan stating the jensen has better screens with the sarcastic roll eyes pic, while quoting my statment. Was just trying to say I was wrong.

When the illiterate idiot could not understand what the thread was about in the first place.

I'm sick of people trying to be the smart one. Don't quote one of my posts unless you know what you are taking about ok packerfan...

packerfan
06-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Why must I explain my simple posts? Is the world losing IQ? Are the screens giving you all tumors in the brain?

Jensen<Alpine on SQ. Your question was "Will you notice less Sound Quality?"

Now packer fan stating the jensen has better screens with the sarcastic roll eyes pic, while quoting my statment. Was just trying to say I was wrong.

When the illiterate idiot could not understand what the thread was about in the first place.

I'm sick of people trying to be the smart one. Don't quote one of my posts unless you know what you are talking about ok packerfan...

I ment to just quote this part...

Jensen<Alpine

Because thats just pure ignorance at its finest right there...

oh and ill make sure I NEVER quote you, ever...because your knowledge is top notch and you make the rules of this forum...right, right...keep thinkin that :rolleyes:

forbidden
06-11-2005, 02:43 PM
And unless you have hands on experience with both lines (not talking just owning one either or repeating what someone else has said), you are far from qualified to comment on it at all. Come back in 20 years of working in the industry and then you will be qualified to talk about what line is better than the other.

SirClay
06-11-2005, 03:00 PM
So have you worked for 20 years in the industry, forbidden? If so...what is your answer to my thread.

tRiGgEr
06-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Wow just wow. You still did not get that when I typed Jensen<Alpine I was only refering to Sound Quality on the unit...

Not that alpines screens were better. Just there SQ, in responce to the original question...

packerfan
06-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Wow just wow. You still did not get that when I typed Jensen<Alpine I was only refering to Sound Quality on the unit...

Not that alpines screens were better. Just there SQ, in responce to the original question...

Jensen<Alpine*

I dont see jack **** in there about sq, just an ignorant response*

If you would have typed Jenson<Alpine in sq i wouldnt have said anything but questioned weather or not you have expierence with both. Which i do, which i belive makes me qualified to give an answer based on expierence, not off bandwagons and just the name.:D

SirClay
06-13-2005, 03:08 AM
I was woundering how much sound quality difference will I get with this than a regular head unit.

...and the answer is?

tRiGgEr
06-13-2005, 11:15 AM
I dont see jack **** in there about sq, just an ignorant response*

Oh I'm sorry. I did not go off topic with some banter about screens. His only question was how will the sound quality be. And I answered it straight to the point. Sorry if you can not gather that simple point. Not my fault you = teh gayness :p:

If you would have typed Jenson<Alpine in sq i wouldnt have said anything but questioned weather or not you have expierence with both. Which i do, which i belive makes me qualified to give an answer based on expierence, not off bandwagons and just the name.:D

Oh and by you making an assumption that I have no experience with either brand is just an ignorant move on your part. Not my fault.

SirClay, as I stated but with a bit more detail for you, Most Alpine units will have better signal processing, EQ settings over Jensen units. There will be a couple of Jensen's higher end units that have some great SQ purposes. But overall Alpine will have the better Head Units.

Sorry about the random crap. Some people nit pick on posts to seem smart...

forbidden
06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes, I have darn near 20 years in this industry. Direct employment continous. I feel that I am more than capable of delivering a informed and educated opinion. You are comparing apples and oranges here. If you leave the part of a screen out of the system, you will have two cd players to compare. Alpine is good equipment as it Jensen, Jensen is actually older than Alpine by a longshot for that matter. Jensen is built to hit the pricepoints that Alpine is not. However in the last 5 years, just like Hyundai, they have built cd players that are starting to creep up the price range and deliver some great performance as well.

The comment above has not proven much as far as I am concerned. Just because a unit is more expensive does not mean that it will have better SQ. Most if not all companies use the same laser transport, tuner, amplifier and chassis in the bottom of the line to the top of the line. The things that make them different are the bells and whistles, IE 2 preouts to 3 preouts, MP3, Aux in, detach face, full motion graphics. All of which have nothing to do with tonal response but have everything to do with increasing the overall value of the unit. Marketing 101, make it look like this and it will sell for this price, next model you add this to it, next model up you add this to it and so on and so on.

Leaving the screen aside for the time being, I brought in a Jensen unit this year and I was stunned at the build quality and overall tonal response of the unit. It in my opinion was a better built piece of equipment than a lot of the other brand name equipment available in the same price range. Is it an Eclipse, no it is not, is it an Alpine, no it is not. It is however a robust little unit.

Now throw the dvd screen into the picture and you now have value that Alpine just cannot touch. Jensen and many other companies do not make their own lcd panels, they are basically all bought from the same couple of manufacturers in the far east. The Panasonic and Eclipse screens for example come from the same supplier, for that matter, any 7" screen probably does as well.

This is your decision to make, I have insight into the industry that the average person does not. Considering that most companies no longer build there own cd players (they are built for them by a build house), the who makes who in this industry is getting bigger all the time. It is not uncommon for a build house to have a production run of multiple brands at the same time, then on to separate boxing plants to send the products to the manufacturer who gave them the contract.

If you like the value that the Jensen shows you, then go for it. There is only one way for you to know for sure. Jensen has some dogs in the line, as it is with all companies that build some of the cheaper stuff, however, if you steer clear of the crap, you will always get a decent piece of gear at the same time.

i3abyjay25
06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
I have heard that Jenson uses the same screens as ALPINE.... who knows?

SirClay
06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Thank you tRiGgEr and forbidden

forbidden
06-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Your welcome dude!