PDA

View Full Version : Alpine CDA-9815 or Eclipse 8454? which to keep?

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I have a near new Alpine 9815 but I bought a new Eclipse 8454 because of the 8volts and famous SQ everyone talks about.

Not sure which one to keep. I like the Alpine but I havent really touched it since I installed it. I do not have any of my speakers installed that I am going to use.

I have a set of Diamond components and some Infinity speakers. I am eventually hook up one of my Opti 200.2 amps and run them.

right now my 300Zx has some junky 4inch speakers that sound like poop in it because I havent had time to do install of my speakers.

I am not sure which one to keep. I have heard good and bad about both but not as much bad about Eclipse. The Eclipse is supposed to be new though I got it off Ebay. I am waiting on it to arrive.

advice needed to help me decide. I prefer substance over style if that helps. If I needed cool stuff then I might have bought a Pioneer.

I bought the Eclipse based on history of SQ and quaility in general.

I cant even seem to find good pics of the 8454 deck

Help me decide.

Slaugh
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
if you have both, why dont you decide which one you want for yourself? i dont get it

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Just because I have them both doesnt mean I should know which to keep. If I use the Eclipse then it will no longer be new and it will loose the value of a new deck.

If you read my post- you would have seen that I do not yet have the Eclipse in my hand. I will at one point have 2 decks and only need one.

so I am asking for opinions on which one to keep based on other peoples experience.

If you dont have anything to add then dont waste the space. If you dont own either one of them then dont waste the space.

if you do then I want to hear your opinion

do people read anymore....

MetalMaxima
06-08-2005, 12:52 PM
The 9815 is revered as the last pure SQ Alpine deck and has a TON of eq features not found in other HUs. While I am not wholly familiar with the EQ capabilities of the 8454, the 9815 is one awesome deck...

Another thing is that the higher voltage preout = better SQ has often been debated, not certain if it's really going to make a difference in your average system.

MetalMaxima
06-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Oh, and btw - Eclipse STRICTLY fobids online sales of their equipment and will not, under ANY circumstances, honor their warranty unless purchased and installed from a dealer. Moreover, Eclipses' faceplates are not removeable...this means that if you are a victim of theft, you lose the whole thing. Eclipse offers to replace the hu if stolen...but again, since you will not be purchasing the hu through a dealer, you lose that safeguard as well.

Stick with the Alpine.

3.5Max6spd
06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
i say install them both and make an EDUCATED decision on your own- whichever you chose, this system if for you and your ears only

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
based on the security thing I think I will keep the Alpine.

Anyone want to buy a 8454 for $300 SHIPPED?

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh, and btw - Eclipse STRICTLY fobids online sales of their equipment and will not, under ANY circumstances, honor their warranty unless purchased and installed from a dealer.

1yr warranty if not installed by a dealer, 3yr warranty if installed by a dealer. It's not like they just leave you out in the cold if the dealer doesn't install it.

Moreover, Eclipses' faceplates are not removeable...this means that if you are a victim of theft, you lose the whole thing. Eclipse offers to replace the hu if stolen...but again, since you will not be purchasing the hu through a dealer, you lose that safeguard as well.

And, FYI, thousands of HU's across this country are stolen every year with their face plates detached. And even under warranty Alpine will not replace a stolen unit. So, I fail to see your point.

However, your car insurance WILL cover a stolen CD player. So it doesn't really matter either way. Call insurance company, get proceeds check for damages received (property stolen), go buy new deck. Problem solved

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 02:38 PM
The 9815 is revered as the last pure SQ Alpine deck and has a TON of eq features not found in other HUs. While I am not wholly familiar with the EQ capabilities of the 8454, the 9815 is one awesome deck...

It's EQ is every bit as good, if not better.

Another thing is that the higher voltage preout = better SQ has often been debated, not certain if it's really going to make a difference in your average system.

Not only high preout voltage, but low preout impedance aswell (which is more important than preout voltage).

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 03:28 PM
well , might point is that if they do not see a deck in the first place then that lessens my chance of them breaking my windows to get at a deck.

I dont know why anyone would want to steal a faceless deck if they dont know what it even is

Mike

3.5Max6spd
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM
well , might point is that if they do not see a deck in the first place then that lessens my chance of them breaking my windows to get at a deck.

I dont know why anyone would want to steal a faceless deck if they dont know what it even is

Mike

Because they figure the avg ******* leaves it under the seat or in the glovey....besides a faceless deck is more intriguing as to what else is in your car- bottom line is if they want it, they'll get it.... you should invest in an alarm if dumping into a stereo system if security is a concern in your whereabouts

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Not to mention you can pick up faceplates for anywhere from $10 - $150 on places like ebay or the local dealer, etc etc. Free deck + $25 faceplate = perfectly functioning CD player that they can turn around and resell for way more than they have into it.

Like 3.5Max said....if it is that much of a concern, you should be looking at alarms.

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 03:38 PM
you still didnt explain why a person would steal a FACELESS DECK!!

I never said they wouldnt still try to break in the car.

So they break in, then if by your theory , they look under seat and find no face.

are they still going to take it??

The real bottom line is that "IF THEY WANT IT THEN THEY WILL TAKE IT- CAR ALARM OR NO CAR ALRAM. HELL , IF THEY WANT THEY CAN JUST TAKE THE CAR"

i DONT SEE WHAT YOUR MAGICAL ALARM WILL DO ABOUT IT

squeak9798
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Not to mention you can pick up faceplates for anywhere from $10 - $150 on places like ebay or the local dealer, etc etc. Free deck + $25 faceplate = perfectly functioning CD player that they can turn around and resell for way more than they have into it.

:thumbupw: ;)

Trust me, my g/f's deck got stolen with the face plate detached. It happens.

3.5Max6spd
06-08-2005, 05:40 PM

:thumbupw: ;)

Trust me, my g/f's deck got stolen with the face plate detached. It happens.

buahaha....your girl friend too.... :laugh:

gentlejax....carrying a faceplate around like its you illegitimate child is sooooo 90's.... if thats what you chose, fine and dandy. I dont have too many friends with Eclipse decks either because their reasoning is similar to yours-meanwhile their faces have never left their heads.

So wHAT EXACTLY IS THE POINT OF YOUR THREAD? If I recall correctly you ACTUALLY have both units, and would be actually cheating yourself by getting rid of one over the other without taking the 10 minutes it takes to wire up each and make a concious decision. :uhoh:

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Say Max,
I never said I had both units ..never said that.

I dont understand why you make it such a point to care whether I keep one or the other or what my reason is for doing so.

get a life

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 08:48 PM
sale is on hold till I find out if a dealer will honor the theft thing if they install it.

thanks

JLCivic
06-08-2005, 09:47 PM

I have never seen anybody before you refer to a 9815 as a pure sq deck, nevermind the last of ALpine's pure sq decks. From my experience on the forums, it was hardly considered to be a legend(like the 7909/7949, etc).

Countless people complained about the pre outs on the 9815 (which seemed to be solved with the 9835 of the next year).

To the original poster: I would take the eclipse all day, every day. That said, go with what you like better. I cannot imagine what the 9815 could possibly have that would make it sound better than an 8454. They both have very extensive eq/time alignment/eq. The Eclipse has different dacs(24 bit vs dual 1 bit...not saying which one is necessarily better than the other) and easily better pre outs.

JLCivic
06-08-2005, 09:53 PM

Mike

but ya know you hardly EVER see a post from somebody who has had an eclipse stolen. I see posts all the time from people who have had detach face decks stolen(with or without faceplates attached). Detach faces also get lost/broken. Ofcourse, many don't even bother taking them off in the first place.

I have asked many times, if detach face is so great(and SO much better than Eclipse's ESN), then why don't detach face deck manufacturers offer any theft warranty? It seems like it would be very easy to do(buy from an authorized dealer and to make a claim, you would still need to have your faceplate). Keeping a low profile(no steal me stickers, not showing off the system to strangers or cranking it where you live) are MUCH more important to keeping your system intact than the theft deterrant feature of your head unit.

I ran Eclipse decks with ESN for a decade.........zero issues. The local shop has sold Eclipse for 12-13 years and have never made a theft claim for a customer.

gentlejax
06-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I just want the best sounding deck out of the box without having to be a audio wiz to get it set up.

at the moment I am not that amazed by the 9815 BUT I have not given it any time or have I installled my speakers that I will use in the end. right now I have pos speakers and the deck is not set at all.

I really only need a basic good deck with good SQ and not all the bells and whistles so that my speakers and amps will sound like they should when I put them in.

I have Diamond components & Opti amps but they are not in yet. right now there is junk in the car because thats how I bought it and i have barey had the car long enough to install anything.

I guess I will keep the Eclipse since I paid for a new deck and call my insurance agent to make sure I am covered if stolen.

I really wish sombody made a deck for regular people who only need BASS/TREBLE controls
and good SQ and not gimmicks

I should have kept my C90 , it was easy

JLCivic
06-08-2005, 10:11 PM

I never said they wouldnt still try to break in the car.

So they break in, then if by your theory , they look under seat and find no face.

are they still going to take it??

The real bottom line is that "IF THEY WANT IT THEN THEY WILL TAKE IT- CAR ALARM OR NO CAR ALRAM. HELL , IF THEY WANT THEY CAN JUST TAKE THE CAR"

i DONT SEE WHAT YOUR MAGICAL ALARM WILL DO ABOUT IT

Nobody has to explain it. People have done it(as posts on the forum confirm). Why do thieves break into a car, steal half the stereo stuff and leave the other half. You never know what is going through their heads.

Also, given your argument, if they break into your car, don't find the faceplate, do they still steal the deck....maybe, or maybe they just smash it(they have already broken your window to get in). IMO, once in, they are going to try to take something. I do agree that, imo, the vast majority of people put the faceplates in a glove box or under a seat.

JLCivic
06-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I just want the best sounding deck out of the box without having to be a audio wiz to get it set up.

at the moment I am not that amazed by the 9815 BUT I have not given it any time or have I installled my speakers that I will use in the end. right now I have pos speakers and the deck is not set at all.

I really only need a basic good deck with good SQ and not all the bells and whistles so that my speakers and amps will sound like they should when I put them in.

I have Diamond components & Opti amps but they are not in yet. right now there is junk in the car because thats how I bought it and i have barey had the car long enough to install anything.

I guess I will keep the Eclipse since I paid for a new deck and call my insurance agent to make sure I am covered if stolen.

I really wish sombody made a deck for regular people who only need BASS/TREBLE controls
and good SQ and not gimmicks

I should have kept my C90 , it was easy

Install the 8454 and see what you think. What you describe as your ideal deck sounds alot like what I am using. Eclipse makes great sounding decks, and I have owned 4 of them. I think they were easily the best sounding decks I had owned until I bought the 8250. It is simple and just a pure sq deck(THAT would be a widely held opinion). You might find one for sale on the forums or possibly ebay for not a ton of cash.

VoTran24
06-09-2005, 01:12 AM
just install the speakers and then see which deck sounds better from each deck...you probably wont be able to tell the difference at all....

I have the 9815, at first when i got it, using the settings and everything was kinda complicated but after a while I just got used to it...honestly I dont even mess with the eq or anything anymore because I am very staisfied with the way it sounds on default settings...if i want a little more bass then I just change it to to rock setting or turn on the MX....normally I just leave the MX off though...

but yea man....it really makes no sense to ask this question on here when you'll have both decks in your hand to compare them personally...most of these guys probably never heard both decks to compare how they sound before...they are just choosing one brand over the other because of what they read and not personally hear...nothing wrong with that...but yea...goodluck with your desision

gentlejax
06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Somebody close this thread PLEASE!

thanks!

3.5Max6spd
06-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Say Max,
I never said I had both units ..never said that.

I dont understand why you make it such a point to care whether I keep one or the other or what my reason is for doing so.

get a life

Get a life? lol....YOU POSTED THIS THEAD YOU TOOL!!!! asking for advice...

I bought the Eclipse based on history of SQ and quaility in general.
^^^^ so yeah, you are saying that you'll have both units- why not find out which is better.

gentlejax
06-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Yes I posted this thread and you didnt give much advice that was useful .

Do you even have either one of these? no? then drop it cause I didnt need your advice.

again, close this thread

3.5Max6spd
06-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Yes I posted this thread and you didnt give much advice that was useful .

Do you even have either one of these? no? then drop it cause I didnt need your advice.

again, close this thread

really??- i fell i gave you the most usefull advice......I've owned the 8443, sonically the same deck, and now have an Eclipse 8455- which replaced the 8454 and I'm not telling you to go with Eclipse(even though I personally feel there's nothing special about the 9815, while the the Eclipse has everything the Alpine wish it had and delivers)- rather try both, since you CAN- so many people wish they had the OPTION to try both and make an EDUCATED decision forthemselves than rather go from advice from total strangers that may not share the same tastes as you-

You are a helpless - wish you luck in life

PS- sell the Eclipse- someone out there will appreciate it for sure

Slaugh
06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
jesus christ

what a moron

:(

UndercoverPunk
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
God, I wish I could afford to buy that Eclipse off you, that unit deserves to be appreciated...

I'm with 3.5Max... you=teh dumb

squeak9798
06-09-2005, 01:00 PM
again, close this thread

You got it