PDA

View Full Version : equalizer questions

noob with an RS
06-08-2005, 01:05 AM
hey i just won an AUDIOCONTROL EQX on ebay!! woo-hoo! can someone answer a few questions i have about the EQ?

1) this EQ has only two channel inputs. so i guess i'm going to have to run the head unit's FRONT pre-amp output to this EQ.. and use the EQ's sub pre-out.. Is there any difference with using the sub pre-out on the HU itself?

2) what gauge power wire does it need? do i HAVE to run it off a distro blocc? fused?

3) can i use the EQ to "fix" the peak in certain frequencies of the subwoofer due to having a ported enclosure?

smgreen20
06-08-2005, 02:01 AM
1) I miss mine, but???? The only diff off the top of my head would be is if your HU has adjustable sub level control to where you can change the level through the HU.

2) 12-16 guage is good enough,you don't have to run it off of a distro block but you will want it fused.

3) Yes! That's what they're for.

noob with an RS
06-08-2005, 09:15 AM
should i use the crossovers on the EQ or the crossovers on the amps? can i run a power wire from another amp to the EQ or does it have to come from the battery or distro?

req
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
just bring it from the distro, not a big deal, it should draw like 1 amp of current.

DFW40
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
hey i just won an AUDIOCONTROL EQX on ebay!! woo-hoo! can someone answer a few questions i have about the EQ?

1) this EQ has only two channel inputs. so i guess i'm going to have to run the head unit's FRONT pre-amp output to this EQ.. and use the EQ's sub pre-out.. Is there any difference with using the sub pre-out on the HU itself?

2) what gauge power wire does it need? do i HAVE to run it off a distro blocc? fused?

3) can i use the EQ to "fix" the peak in certain frequencies of the subwoofer due to having a ported enclosure?

So your EQ has a two channel input L and R which is the same as one set of RCA jack inputs? Obviously you have to use the Eq's sub output to be able to "fix" the peaks in your sub's output. Unfortunately you will not be able to control the sub level from your headunit anymore.

req
06-08-2005, 09:43 AM
So your EQ has a two channel input L and R which is the same as one set of RCA jack inputs? Obviously you have to use the Eq's sub output to be able to "fix" the peaks in your sub's output. Unfortunately you will not be able to control the sub level from your headunit anymore.

wich kinda *****, because if you set the gain for max daily with your sub output up - you can turn it down lower, but now your kinda stuck. :crying:

noob with an RS
06-08-2005, 03:17 PM
so what should i do?! not even EQ the sub?? and i dont have a distro block and i really dont wanna run itall the way from the battery.. can i just tap the power wire from one of the amp's power terminals??

adam71
06-08-2005, 04:29 PM
so what should i do?! not even EQ the sub??

I would EQ the sub....no sense in buying an EQX if you're not going to use to its potiential. The best feature of the EQX is it's flexibility. You can use the "full range output" to bypass the crossover and use it as just an EQ or turn off the eq and use it as just a X-over. or do both and use it as just a line driver. I owned one of these about 5 years ago and made good use of it.

and i dont have a distro block and i really dont wanna run itall the way from the battery.. can i just tap the power wire from one of the amp's power terminals??

Well I would tap off the power wire of your head unit and run it all the way back to the trunk or where ever you're putting it. I would ground it in the same place you're grounding your amp(s). And you can tap right off the same remote wire that is turning your amp(s) on. Hope that helped.

By the way, how many amps are you running??

adam71
06-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh and one more thing. The other guys are right you're going to lose your control of your sub amp by using the EQX. But you're going to gain a better and more flexible crossover and a MUCH better EQ. You have to decide which is more important to you, control or sound quality. There is always a different option but its expensive. You can buy a new sub amp that has external level control, that would be the only way unfortunately.

noob with an RS
06-08-2005, 05:40 PM
ahhh ok thanks a LOT guys. answered all my questions in less than one page.. and i have two amps.. one is a hifonics nx600 powering a set of infinity perfect components and the other amp is a modded MTX 1501d and i think it has a plug to plug in an external level control.. EBC is what youre talking about right? one more question if i may: it wont hurt to tap into my head units power wire to power this EQ??

adam71
06-08-2005, 05:54 PM
ahhh ok thanks a LOT guys. answered all my questions in less than one page.. and i have two amps.. one is a hifonics nx600 powering a set of infinity perfect components and the other amp is a modded MTX 1501d and i think it has a plug to plug in an external level control.. EBC is what youre talking about right? one more question if i may: it wont hurt to tap into my head units power wire to power this EQ??

No sir it won't. Your head unit doesn't draw that much so you should be fine. Just remember to fuse that at about 2 feet before the eq just as a precaution. A 1501D huh? well thats cool man......just get your hands on an ebc and you have all the bass control you'll need. :D

noob with an RS
06-08-2005, 06:09 PM
ok ok.. this is the last question forreal this time: you mentioned tapping the remote wire from my other amps. the thing is i have two amps and the second amp is taping the first one's remote wire.. can i tap the second amp's remote wire to remote the EQ? just wondering if having three units on the same remote wire will do any harm?

adam71
06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
ok ok.. this is the last question forreal this time: you mentioned tapping the remote wire from my other amps. the thing is i have two amps and the second amp is taping the first one's remote wire.. can i tap the second amp's remote wire to remote the EQ? just wondering if having three units on the same remote wire will do any harm?

I'm running one remote back to my trunk to a barrier strip where I use it for 5 amps, 1 proecessor, 1 cd changer and an XM tuner. So to answer your question, YES that would be fine.

ballstothewall
06-08-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm running one remote back to my trunk to a barrier strip where I use it for 5 amps, 1 proecessor, 1 cd changer and an XM tuner. So to answer your question, YES that would be fine.

Ok, quick question here. I thought you were supposed to use a relay for items like this so you didn't put to much of a current draw on the head unit?

Just wondering

-Ryan

adam71
06-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Ok, quick question here. I thought you were supposed to use a relay for items like this so you didn't put to much of a current draw on the head unit?

Just wondering

-Ryan

Now, I'm not a tech geek but I don't believe the head unit is being drawn off of in this case. The amps don't draw a "remote signal" from the deck, the deck sends one regardless of the # of sources attached to it.

If that is wrong someone let me know.