View Full Version : What do I need?

06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
What do I need to hook my computer up to my home theater? I want to be able to play my Mp3s and WAV files through my home theater speakers and to the outside speakers... Is that possible and if so how?

Thanks in Advance,

SSS 18734
06-07-2005, 08:05 PM
FM modulator is the easiest way

Your computer might have stereo outputs, too. If it does, just hook it directly to the system.

06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Go get a stereo miniplug to RCA phono jack converter ~ something like this (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-2473) (I'm sure you can find one cheaper than the example I've linked to) and go from the output on your PC's soundcard into an available auxiliary input on your receiver

06-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Radioshack sells a generic version of the above adapter for seven bucks. That's what I use if I hook my laptop up to my HT system.

06-07-2005, 10:16 PM
FM modulator is the easiest way

Eek...avoid those like the plague.

And if you have an integrated amp with no onboard tuner, those wouldn't work anyway...

06-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Ha Jack Frost had a whole thread explaining this to me

Let me dig it up

Here it is

06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks all of you... I have the generic version already, I was just trying to make sure thats all I needed. I've had it hooked up before but I've lost the cable so I need to get pick up another one... Is it possible to make it? We're kind of looking for a pretty long set, if possible, so could I make one to the length I needed it?

PV Audio
06-08-2005, 02:20 AM
phono to headphone mini...nothing complicated. 4.99, on the wall with all the other adaptors.

06-08-2005, 02:50 AM
just get a headphone male-female extension. I've got one that is about 20 feet long.. runs from my room to my HT.. I also have a 20' svideo cable so I can watch "movies stored on my pc" on my tv instead of my pc.. and have nice sterio sound.. :) just makes for alot of cable mess..

06-16-2005, 04:26 PM
creative has some that use a usb connector to hook up to your computer and and then the little box sends out the signal threw rca's which is what i use. its called a sound blaster http://tmcomputer.pl:85/shop/images/mp3.JPG


06-16-2005, 06:57 PM
If you want the best signal, get an external sound card with a digital out (optical or coaxial) and you will have yourself a digital connection. But this is probably the priciest option.

06-17-2005, 10:37 PM
some motherboards (a lot of the new ones) have digital audio outputs, but if you dont, you can get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103
only $25 and it has optical toslink output (cable included).

i recently bought one of these and its pretty cool : http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/m500large.php
its more expensive ($200 with a $50 MIR), but the cool part about it is that it can go through your songs on your computer and display them on the screen, and you can use the supplied remote to pick the song/album/playlist, so you dont have to sit in front of the computer and select songs, you can do it from the comfort of your couch!