PDA

View Full Version : Need Comp. Solution

AndonD454
06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
hey guys. ive been looking to improve my SQ up front lately and decided that i need components to really get what i want. mostly im so sick of not having any midbass.. so i want really good midbass in this next setup.

i have 6x8s all around right now.. so pretty much ill have to make some kind of MDF cutout to mount them in the doors. problem is ford is retarded and put some kind of frame member liek 2 inches behind the speaker cutout. so i have like 2 1/4 inches maybe.. definately not any more than 2 1/2". second problem is whatever i do ill have to cut holes for my tweets. this is gonna be a pain in the arse but whatever. so hopefully the tweets are easily mountable in non-stock locations.

power isnt an issue i dotn have the amp yet and can afford to give them up to 150 rms each i suppose.

i want it loud and i want mega midbass.. actually i might get an RL-i 8 for midbass help.. so if you find somethin that would work but might lack midbass then it might still be ok. also, id liek silk tweets cause i cant stand too much harshness.

thanks for any help guys

PS: i was lookign at these.. not stuck on mainstream but hey no MDF needed and easy mount silk tweets.. + good cone area.. worth it?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-51VXgemJrIs/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=76200&I=1086810CS

EDIT: budget is 200 or less for the set. but i wont be buying them til summers over anyways so this is almost destined to changed for better or worse.. just keep prices reasonable.

Mackenzie
06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
I used to own infinity speakers in my car, and my factory speakers had more midbass then they did. They sounded clear, but no midbass, and the tweeter was harsh. Take a look at the pg xenon 5.25 convertables. They come with adapter kits for 5*7s/6*8s, and 6*9s, and also 6's. Some of the strongest midbass ive heard for the price, and the tweeter is smooth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32818&item=5779670148&rd=1

fossil99ca
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I know I will get flammed here but everyone bad mouths the infinity refs. Harsh tweeter etc. I have the 6.5CS from three years ago with the silk tweeter. They are ok for the money. Just run the tweeter at the -3db setting and it helps. They are clear and have good SQ/Output above the 100 Hz or so.

If you are in a jam for space/money and not looking for a custom install, it can get you started. You can put the money you save into a good 12" sub to cover the lower ranges (no replacement for displacement). I'm sure you could find them cheaper too. I got mine for less than that in Canadian dollars new. Look used too.

Go listen to them if you can.

You can build Kicks to solve your space issue or cut the door (non-structual)

fossil99ca
06-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Oh yea, tweets are really easy to mount too, flush or surface. But them close to the woofer by your feet, pointing towards the driver. That should also help with the harshness. Experiment with locations before cutting.