PDA

View Full Version : Building Sub Box *design pics included*

1990RANGER
06-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone! I'm in the process of desing a sub box for the (2) 15" Kicker L7s subs and (1) Kicker kx2500.1 amp I will be purchasing this weekend. My entire goal out of this system is to get MAX bass (because I listen to rap SQ is not an issue).

I've done some searching on the net (especially on this site) trying to find size and type of box to build for them. For now I've decide to build a sealed box, since everyone seems to say that a ported box is difficult to build and if built wrong it will sound real bad and/or damage the sub.

Here's the design of the box I'm planning on building.......
http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/2/0/7/0/4/box.bmp

It has a total external volume of 4.5 ft^3 PER chamber. It will most likely be built out of 1" thick MDF wood. And I plan on mounting the amp in the extended lower portion of the box. Oh, and the bottom back of the box sits a notched portion of the cab.

Any comments or advice?

Thanks

Beat_Dominator
06-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Looks ok to me!

jujumantb
06-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Well since your entire goal is bass, I say try ported. They are much more efficient than sealed and will get MUCH louder. My first 4 boxes I build were ported, not too difficult.

bonesninja
06-03-2005, 09:53 PM
welcome to the forum and i agree with ^^^ i would just pay someone to properly design that ported box and let out the sweet rumblins of bass.

saywhat?
06-03-2005, 10:00 PM
there are qutie a few people here that are more than able to design a SWEET ported enclosure for u. no reason to go sealed with those babies, specially with that much money thrown down.

1990RANGER
06-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Ya, I'd love to go ported. And its not that I cant build a ported box (well I think i can), its just that I'm not too sure about how to really design a ported box (although I'm looking into it) and I was told that having a ported box professionally built is fairly expensive.

How many cubic feet do you think I should go with if I did go ported? Kicker recommends 3.00 - 6.00 cu.ft. per chamber but thats kind of a broad estimation.

NegativeEffect1
06-03-2005, 10:40 PM
my next door nehbor runs his 2 15L7s at 5cubes with 1500 total watts ported and it SLAMS but sounds nasty

saywhat?
06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
if u were gunna build ur sealed.....build ur ported. honestly....its NOT that hard. its sealed....with some boards inside and an extra hole lol. buy some plans off someone. then name squeak comes to mind.

1990RANGER
06-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Hows something similar to this.....
http://gallery.caraudio.com/vg/2/0/7/0/4/portedbox.bmp

NegativeEffect1, your nieghbors subs are underpowered so that may also be why they sound so bad. I'll be running 1250watts rms to each sub. But 5 ft^3 per chamber seems like a good size to go with.

*sorry about the pic, its kinda crap