PDA

View Full Version : Tools, quality or cheap?

Buckshot
06-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Do you have the 'cheaper' tools, the 'more-exspensive' tools, or a combination of both, and do you feel that the quality of the tool's determines the quality of the work.

Personally, I have some good tools, some cheap. I also feel that good tools lead to better outcomes, however they are not required for an awesome outcome. :)

BeanII
06-02-2005, 11:24 PM
good tools just typically last longer, stay sharper, and are stronger.... they do lead to better work. Also, having the right tool is important...

speaking of, I've got two extra DMM's if any one is interested PM me

saywhat?
06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
good tools just typically last longer, stay sharper, and are stronger.... they do lead to better work. Also, having the right tool is important...

speaking of, I've got two extra DMM's if any one is interested PM me

if by extra u mean.....free...ill pay shipping

Moe Lester
06-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Ive got a mix of both, and IMO just go for some nice tools right from the start. Good tools make a hell of a difference when you build a bunch of whatever it is you build

davidfre21
06-03-2005, 02:16 AM
i have what works

Beat_Dominator
06-03-2005, 02:18 AM
I have cheap *** stuff, would get Really good stuff from the start. It will pay for itself over the years.

Prowler573
06-03-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm pretty **** hard on tools doing various things so I tend to just buy Craftsman. I have a Sears that's less than 5 minutes' drive from my house so as long as I don't somehow need something replaced in the middle of the night when they're closed I'm golden. I reckon I'd rather pony up a few more bux upon initial acquisition and then never have to buy it again.

cjjackson85
06-03-2005, 02:19 AM
I also buy anything Craftsmen that has a lifetime warranty everything else I get at a decent quality/price at the Home Depot I work at...

THUNDERBIRD
06-03-2005, 08:42 AM
i have both but and starting to replace everything with craftsman when i have the extra money to spend. all of my power tools are skil tho and i am happy with them

req
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
IMO - the best thing you can invest in, is a quality (and i dont mean those cheap $6 sets) set of ALL the bits and ratches you could ever need.

im talking, solid, hard, quality bits. like a $50~70 set. drillbits, screwbits, ratchet bits, attachments, and all that stuff.

having a cheap drill\holesaw\phillipshead\rachet is like using your fingers to do the job. just make sure *MAKE SURE* you put the **** things back when you are done. i HATE loosing mine :mad:

i have 19v cordless crafstsman toolset (got for chirstmas) so those are my only powertools, sides a mad old craftsman jigsaw (needs replacement too. cuts on a effin slant that i cant seem to fix :p: )

TPABlazer
06-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Stuff like screwdrivers or allen keys I'll buy 30 at harbor freight for 2 dollars or something rediculous. I figure I would have to snap most of them to cover the cost of a craftsman, and besides when I'm in the garage, my tools move around my workspace..so having 3 phillips head in 3 different spots is a plus.

req
06-03-2005, 10:10 AM
but stripping the heads of all the screws AND the bits that i have is not worth the frustration.

buy one set, dont loose them, and you wont need another set for the rest of your life :p:

Buckshot
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
but stripping the heads of all the screws AND the bits that i have is not worth the frustration.

buy one set, dont loose them, and you wont need another set for the rest of your life :p:

I agree, but what about your power tools? Me and Bigwheel were talking about some routers last night, they make from somthing like 3/4 hp, all the way up too about 3hp. :naughty:

ngsm13
06-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Eh, routers are overrated. Only thing I'd use it for is like a HUGE one to round off the edges on MDF. For cutting circles, and **** like that...JIG SAW!!!

NG

djman37
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Eh, routers are overrated. Only thing I'd use it for is like a HUGE one to round off the edges on MDF. For cutting circles, and **** like that...JIG SAW!!!

NG

no circle jig w/router?

req
06-03-2005, 11:20 AM
hmm. $150 router, versus $20 jigsaw - $20 per bit, versus $10 for a multi-pack

i wonder who wins ;)

djman37
06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
i've got both already. A guy gave me the palm router. I've only used the router like you, with a 1/4 rounding bit for MDF, but was gonna ATTEMPT cutting my own 1 piece front baffle this weekend. The shop I've previously used that has a laser router, accurate to .001" 'no longer has anyone QUALIFED to run it.' Rockler has the infamous Jasper jig $$$$ and they have this other thing that does circle jig, but it also comes with a fence attachment to use a router like a saw. You got any thoughts? 'cause if I REALLY don't want a ghetto faced box.

THUNDERBIRD
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
by far the 2 best investments i have made in my tools are my craftsman tool chest (not the nice one with ball bearing slide), and my 30 gallon craftsman compressor. these 2 items are a must for every garage

joeldirt
06-03-2005, 06:12 PM
the tools that give you the precision cuts, grooves, notches, holes.... what ever. you need to have quality to last. Cheap will work to a certain extent, but it pays off in the long run to get the better routers, router bits/ drill bits, saws, paint guns and drills. But for clamps, screw drivers, and crap like that, they are cheap and replaceable.

joeldirt
06-03-2005, 06:19 PM

NG

a router is one of the most coolest tools EVER! a nice router table set up, good quality and variety of bits and different base plates.... for custom work a minimum of 2 routers (one in a table and one seperate) is essential to make a quality custom job with professional results. there are sooooooo many tricks you can do with a router. Awsome tool, and couldnt live with out one.

BeanII
06-03-2005, 06:23 PM
a router is one of the most coolest tools EVER! a nice router table set up, good quality and variety of bits and different base plates.... for custom work a minimum of 2 routers (one in a table and one seperate) is essential to make a quality custom job with professional results. there are sooooooo many tricks you can do with a router. Awsome tool, and couldnt live with out one.

100% agree.

bonesninja
06-03-2005, 06:33 PM
gotta go with craftsman handtools.

AznRevlAzn
06-03-2005, 06:39 PM
go Ryobi if you are looking into drillers and saws.

ballstothewall
06-03-2005, 09:17 PM
aww hell, go snap-on...hehe (talk about expensive)

It isn't the quality of tools, or the number of them. It is what you can accomplish with them.

Later

-Ryan

(oh and our full service machine shop is full of snap-on and craftsman)

1zenlunatic
06-04-2005, 02:59 AM
The Ryobi 18v Cordless drill is a great buy and a good performer (less than $100, comes with 2 batteries, drill bits, variable spd, built in bubble lvl., plenty of power..

I have one and it gets the job done with ease.

One of the best cordless drills on the market would be the Dewalt 18V cordless. However, not cheap and really not needed if you are just doing weekend hobby projects ($200+ new ouch!) but a sweet tool nonetheless.

Jigsaw- Go with a Bosch. They make the sturdiest jigsaws in my humble opinion.

Routers- Bosch, Dewalt or Porter-Cable. I agree with some of the earlier comments-- routers can do some really trick stuff. I'm contemplating forking over $120+ for a decent Porter-Cable. The Dewalts are my favorite. Nice design:: easy to see what you are cutting, strong motor, easy to handle. Only con is the bottom plate. It isnt too strong. I dropped one of these about 2 ft off the ground and broke the plate(don't be a clutz with power tools, esp. expensive ones :-( .

Thats my 2 cents.

amedeuce
06-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Milwuakee for cordless drills
porter cable routers
Craftsman, Jet, Dewault, powermatic For table saws
Jet band Saws
Jet jointers
Jet, delta, Dewalt Planers
Should I go on?

bri487
06-04-2005, 05:05 AM
aww hell, go snap-on...hehe (talk about expensive)

It isn't the quality of tools, or the number of them. It is what you can accomplish with them.

Later

-Ryan

(oh and our full service machine shop is full of snap-on and craftsman)

i have all snap on. they make a lot of our specialty tools for racing. most of the time we are using our snap on box end wrenches, i like the feel of them versus mac. they feel really close to the craftsman line. the reason i have all snap on is because my grandfather has had his for his whole career and i started out in his garage with his tools. i think the most underrated tool for installs is the dremel. i use it for so many little things. great tool if you use it.