PDA

View Full Version : Got A New HU, but having second thoughts

Justintoxicated
06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
I picked up an Eclipse CD5444 MP3 HU for $244 and I addeda 5 year warranty for $60.

Someone told me there is no pause button are they right? Is this HU junk? Should I have gotten something else like the clarion DXZ955MC?

Non of the shops I have been to had a clarion of that quality I could play with, and I didn't really like the way the new eclipse decks looked, they are ok i guess..

I'm having secone thoughts now though since I hear there is no pause button and I don't see on one the hU, it also lacks an AUX input, and SIRIUS Radio.

Did I get ripped or what?

Also it seems like you have to turn the volume knob around like 5 times to go from max volume to low volume.

I can still return it I think,

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Johnny Drama
06-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Play the CD player and hit the number 3 see what that does.

Justintoxicated
06-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't have it installed yet, thats why I m asking I can't return it after I intall it.

Waiting on a new bezel for my truck, dash install kit, and wiring harness.

WOuld I have been much better off with a different deck? I'm disapointed there is no satelite radio support, but I dunno if I would even use it if it did lol.

zachzchw
06-02-2005, 05:04 PM
You should research the deck on the internet, and read the owners manual. I cant figure out why you would buy a deck without knowing if it had the features you want/need??
If you research it, and find it doesnt line up with your wants, then return it......and choose your next deck after reading about it.
But no, its definitely not junk.....

jsloan10
06-02-2005, 05:16 PM
If it doesn't do what you need it to do take it back immediatly, you will be constantly biching about for as long as you own it otherwise.

A Kenwood KDC-MP7028 will give you all the features you could ever want and would be more affordable
Front/rear/sub output 4v 80ohms
Sirius radio ready
Aux input with dual zone capability (the front speakers can play one source while the rear plays another)
G-motion anylizer display and other animated graphic displays with the ability to shut off the display.
Ability to shut off the internal amplifier if external amps are being used.
Built in front/rear/sub cross overs with selectable frequencys.
Motorized slide down panel with the ability change color of button illumination.
Real full function remote (unlike a thin one with 2buttons)
Mute, attenuate function.
Links-
http://www.salectronics.com/detail.asp?product_id=KDCMP7028
http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=7771
http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/productdetails.aspx?Product=7751
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=list&category=Kenwood%3BMP3%20Players

Beat_Dominator
06-02-2005, 05:17 PM
It should have a pause, like stated the number 3 was the one on the older eclipses.

Bavarian3
06-02-2005, 05:22 PM
1. read the manual.
2. see what features you want and need, if it doesnt have what you need dont buy it, in your case return it.

Eclipses are receivers geared more towards performance, if you want something with more "neat" features (ipod, color changes, mp3 etc.) go alpine.

zachzchw
06-02-2005, 05:42 PM
1. read the manual.
2. see what features you want and need, if it doesnt have what you need dont buy it, in your case return it.

Eclipses are receivers geared more towards performance, if you want something with more "neat" features (ipod, color changes, mp3 etc.) go alpine.

Pioneer or Alpine would both work.....the eclipse is a nice deck, and you might not get your money back on the extended warranty.......you might see if its transferable and try to sell it on the forum.........

Justintoxicated
06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
they told me I can take it back within 14 days, I'm not a big kenwood fan, and there are too many problems with the new alpines.

My next choice would be clarion or a newer eclipse model, but i was informed froma dealer they were having problems with the 5455's also. They told me to wait and see if hte issues were corrected. I likethe look of hte older unit better.

Clarion offers a nice 45 seconds of anti skip as well as records your CD's into the HU which is pretty neat, and it also supports sirius or XM I believe or at least one or the other. It was a bit more money though, and im not sure of the over all quality of the clarion i mentioned above.

BTW I got it in kind of a hurry, I went to the store to check out the new models but I liekd the old better, he had the display marked down to 275. The sales guy said they had 1 new 5444 left and would sell it to me $15 less than the display model. So I grabbed it because I was heading back to Long Beach from San Diego.

Looking on the net is one thing but seeing the units in person and pushing the buttons is another. The new eclipses look real nice on the net but not as cool in person IMO, although they have all the features I want and 8V pre-outs, where as mine only has 5V, but a much more solid feel to it.

zachzchw
06-02-2005, 09:22 PM

they have all the features I want .

So go with that. Performance is more important than looks, IMO.

jsloan10
06-02-2005, 09:37 PM
I just don't understand this dislike for Kenwood.
If you have two products that do the same thing except one costs less you wopuld think the choice would be easy but if you throw the name Kenwood in there people suddenly get all weird about it.

Kenwood subs are way behind the times but their head units and amps are state of the art and are priced to compete, the failure rate for Kenwood products is .5 percent, that means that 99.5 percent of all sales never come back for service, Alpines products have a 10 percent failure rate and Pioneer have around a 25 percent failure rate for comparison.

Is this because the rich kid at school said they wern't cool enough??

zachzchw
06-02-2005, 09:43 PM
the failure rate for Kenwood products is .5 percent, that means that 99.5 percent of all sales never come back for service, Alpines products have a 10 percent failure rate and Pioneer have around a 25 percent failure rate for comparison.

Where do these numbers come from? Is there like a list with major companies on it or something? Id like to see it, if so..... :up2somet:

audiolife
06-02-2005, 09:54 PM
I just don't understand this dislike for Kenwood.
If you have two products that do the same thing except one costs less you wopuld think the choice would be easy but if you throw the name Kenwood in there people suddenly get all weird about it.

Kenwood subs are way behind the times but their head units and amps are state of the art and are priced to compete, the failure rate for Kenwood products is .5 percent, that means that 99.5 percent of all sales never come back for service, Alpines products have a 10 percent failure rate and Pioneer have around a 25 percent failure rate for comparison.

Is this because the rich kid at school said they wern't cool enough??
kenwood decks are higher than .5% lol at least they were. when i was at lehman's and bby id say at least 5% made it back for service within a year

jsloan10
06-02-2005, 10:21 PM
The numbers were listed at a recent seminar I attended for Kenwood dealerships and it was for gross company sales overall, not just head units.

forbidden
06-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Ah yes, the old Jedi Mind Trick at work...... if the company says it is and shows us a slide to back it up, it must be so. Consider this fact, out of the box, the Eclipse sounds better. So specs and capabilites aside, why is the Kenwood cheaper then......because it is built for a price point and not for performance. For the dude with the 5444, take it back and buy one of the new ones, you will not be dissappointed. Buy a cd player for how it sounds first and foremost.

Justintoxicated
06-03-2005, 07:10 PM
I dunno how much better this years eclipse is, one dealer told me he had had problems with several of the new units and never had problems with last years. The new ones have more features and feel cheaper, but the top of the line ones do have 8V instead of 5V pre-outs and some other good stuff...I owned clarion before and it was ok, but since I am not able to find anyplace around here that has that high end of a HU I don't really feel comfortable ordering one without being able to test it out first.

I'm thinking about keeping the one I have for now because I have not sceen a real review of last years vs this years. Anyone have both?

I'm not getting kenwood as I have solidly disapointed in their crap. My friend went through several excelon amps before getting somethng different. I have had a couple set of their components blow before I got a set that worked right. (i have the excelon dual mags and im not proud of it). The SQ of their HU's is not as good and they are made to look impressive not necessarily to function well. I called Kenwood to get the the little rings that go around the tweeters for my new install and they were not able to get me any parts, they sent me some mounts that I told them I did not need. They basicaly said to get them I have to buy a whole new set of speakers whe the set I have works perfect just missing the ring mounts. Kenwood does not repair products they throw them out and replace them... Thats what they told me. I won't be buying kenwood anytime soon.

jsloan10
06-04-2005, 02:24 AM
"The SQ of their HU's is not as good and they are made to look impressive not necessarily to function well." - You have no idea what your talking about.

"I have had a couple set of their components blow before I got a set that worked right." - Install and setup.

"Kenwood does not repair products they throw them out and replace them" - This is common practice among manufacturers.

"I called Kenwood to get the the little rings that go around the tweeters for my new install and they were not able to get me any parts, they sent me some mounts that I told them I did not need."- Most companys dont sell the small plastic accessorys that come with products because they assume that your smart enough not to lose them and them sending the wrong mounts is an obvious miscommunication rather than something done to you out of spite.

Ya know what forget it, Just go out and buy whatever your friends at school say is the coolest regardless of cost, that way you will be the coolest guy in the world.

Hoot
06-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Of course the 5444 has a pause button. Hardly a fancy feature. Keep it...