PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad start... basic diagram

hawk45
05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
This will be 3 separate enclosures all screwed together to make one big enclosure. There will be 2 6"x9" enclosures, one on either side of the sealed sub enclosure. Amps will be mounted on top for good ventilation.

Question:
Should I leave the 2 6"x9" enclosures open back/bottom or should I seal them all up? The box will be resting against the back of my tailgate on my Chev Blazer (speakers facing toward front of car of course).

Feel free to critique or give any other ideas...

BTW... I don't have actual measurements yet.

http://img270.echo.cx/img270/3272/speakerenclosure10gw.png

Thanks,
Hawk

90accordman
05-29-2005, 09:01 PM
personally i dont like it, just to much in one spot for me. As for the functionality i dont know but looks blah

bhsswrstlr
05-29-2005, 09:06 PM
you will barely be able to hear the 6x9's, just put the sub in the back facing the back....make a floor amp rack, and put your mids and highs in stock locations for a semi clean look.

Deamonicus
05-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Nope don't like it. Just use the sub in the rear facing forward and upgrade the stock speakers.

hawk45
05-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I have had the 6x9's in the back in a homemade box for the past 5 years and sounds good to me... I hated the sounds in the stock locations... no bass response whatsoever. Sure all the sound comes from the back ... but that is the way I like it... guess just personal preference.

One other reason for this design is functionallity... I need to be able to pull it out if I need the back of my truck to haul anything.... I is just easier to have in one big chunk... even if it is heavy.

bhsswrstlr
05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
I have had the 6x9's in the back in a homemade box for the past 5 years and sounds good to me... I hated the sounds in the stock locations... no bass response whatsoever. Sure all the sound comes from the back ... but that is the way I like it... guess just personal preference.

One other reason for this design is functionallity... I need to be able to pull it out if I need the back of my truck to haul anything.... I is just easier to have in one big chunk... even if it is heavy.

terrible idea...you want the sound coming from the front. bass is non-directional so have the sub in the back facing back. put the speakers in stock location. if you have sub you wont need great bass response from the mids and highs.

lostsoul
05-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey man if you like it go for it!

hawk45
05-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Here is another reason I have against that... then I would have RCA's going from HU to the back of the truck to tje AMP.. then wire going back to the dash where factory wire is for speakers.. and I don't have a place to put the amp up front... and re-running wire from amp in back to side panals may not be hard .. but to the stock door speakers would be a biotch... :crying:

again.. just my observation... and I'm not showing this off... it is purely for my own listening... something to get me through the drive to work and back... maybe the bar for some beers... :)

saywhat?
05-30-2005, 11:10 AM
if ur gunna do it anyways..........why ask?

DOHCrazy
05-30-2005, 11:11 AM
if ur gunna do it anyways..........why ask?

x2

hawk45
05-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Scrapping design due to my lack of knowledge of what I needed... thanks for all the ideas...comments... Now I need to figure dimensions for a box for a 12" Alpine R series in a 2.5-3 cbft enclosure.

JimJ
05-30-2005, 12:36 PM
The12volt.com has a handy calculator for rectangular sealed boxes.

hawk45
05-30-2005, 12:56 PM
JF,

Great link....thanks man...that will help lots.

Hawk

BeanII
05-30-2005, 01:00 PM
why does anyone need 4 6x9's? Especially in the rear? Don't you sit up front when you drive back and forth to work? The most important speakers in your blazer are the front ones.......... Don't do this, it's a bad idea.

hawk45
05-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I have never liked the sound of speakers in front of cars.... If I am driving anyone elses car (wife, friend, parents) I always turn the fader on the stereo almost all the way down in the front and most of the power to the back... Every car I have ever owned I never had front speakers because they sounded soooo bad and thin... so now my ears have just learned to enjoy music that way in my car.... don't know... that is just what I like I guess..

BeanII
05-30-2005, 03:22 PM
I have never liked the sound of speakers in front of cars.... If I am driving anyone elses car (wife, friend, parents) I always turn the fader on the stereo almost all the way down in the front and most of the power to the back... Every car I have ever owned I never had front speakers because they sounded soooo bad and thin... so now my ears have just learned to enjoy music that way in my car.... don't know... that is just what I like I guess..

no offense....... That just means you've never heard an audio system done right in a car....... sorry bout yer' bad luck

hawk45
05-30-2005, 03:37 PM
None taken.... I have thick skin :) . I have just always had used cars with crap in them when purchased... Next car I will just add the sub to complete the package though..