PDA

View Full Version : Check Dimensions For W3's Ported

BOOKER
05-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi everybody, the time has come and I'm about to build a ported box for my pair of 12W3v2-D4 :naughty:
Each sub is supposed to be in a 1.75 cu.ft box, I will put them in a single chamber 3.5 cu.ft. box. Can someone check my box dimensions please, the box is wedge shaped for space reasons and sub and port displacement have been subtracted.
The dimensions are as follow:
TOP-depth = 12 -15/16IN
BOTTOM-depth = 17-1/2IN
HEIGHT= 15 IN
WIDTH = 35 IN
PORTS = Two (2) 3" x 9.9" (25cm) tuned to 30 Hz

:up2somet:

bcarpenterfhl
05-27-2005, 11:31 PM
30.12 Hz, good job man. that gives your box a total volume of 3.373 ft. ^3.

BOOKER
05-28-2005, 01:44 AM
30.12 Hz, good job man. that gives your box a total volume of 3.373 ft. ^3.

Thanks bro, but how did you came up with 3.373 ft. ^3 :uhoh:

Those dimensions give me a volume of 3.78 cu ft before displacement and 3.5 after displacement.

Not to argue or anything but just curious.

Thanks 4 ur input.

:2thumbs:

Moe Lester
05-28-2005, 02:29 AM
i get 3.59 cu ft before displacements are subtracted assuming you are using 3/4" MDF.

after the ports displacements i get 3.5 cubic feet internally but thats still not including subs.

you are probably going to be getting some port noise with only 2 3" ports.

BOOKER
05-28-2005, 11:59 AM
you are probably going to be getting some port noise with only 2 3" ports.

So u think I'll b getting some port noise, what do you recommend, I know 4" would be a lot better, but they come toooooo long for my application.

And YES I've done a big search on this forum, that's why I'am asking for checking the box dimensions and port tunning which I don't think are that bad.

Anyone else, will two 3" ports be that bad? :(

bcarpenterfhl
05-28-2005, 01:57 PM
i guessed on the sub displacement (i put in 0.12 for the subs combined), but i think thats right.

bcarpenterfhl
05-28-2005, 01:59 PM
you probably need more than twice that port area for the two subs. just use a slot port and not risk anything.

BOOKER
05-28-2005, 03:59 PM
you probably need more than twice that port area for the two subs. just use a slot port and not risk anything.

The reason why I choose the round ports is because I have no idea on how to get the dimensions of a slot port into a wedge shaped box. :confused:

I've done a search on that topic but I can't find any help, everybody seems to use rectangular boxes which I do understand the slot port design (I think).

If you can give me any hint on how to do that I'll appreciate it.
How much area are we talking about can I compensate it with adding one or two more ports? :uhoh:

bcarpenterfhl
05-28-2005, 05:40 PM
the link in my signature provides an expample of a wedged box with a slot port. also, why the need for the wedge?

BOOKER
05-28-2005, 07:18 PM
the link in my signature provides an expample of a wedged box with a slot port. also, why the need for the wedge?

I want the wedge box for the space issue, I have the W3's in a sealed wedge box right now, the angle goes far into the back of the seats. I use my trunk a lot, not fully but I'm always carrying things around (skates, tools, rifles, racquets, cooler, etc.)

Will I be doing that bad with the 3" ports :crap:

You did a great job on that box on your link, but I don't know how to do the wedge on that.

BTW what program you use, it looks like some sort of CAD, CATIA, PROe, INVENTOR or something like that.

Thanks 4 ur help bro

:2thumbs:

BOOKER
05-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Can somebody help me please.

Will I be doing that bad with 3" ports :crap:

bcarpenterfhl
05-30-2005, 09:36 PM
i dont know how effective aeroports are, but regardless, i think that is way too small of a port area. i have considered ideas to allow a larger tube port to be able to bend in the box. they include, using one of those PVC pipe elbows, and using flexible acrylic tubing to bend around as you please, then wrapping it in fiberglass to make it stiff and stay in place.