PDA

View Full Version : This is strange (sat radio antenna ?)

2wheeler
05-27-2005, 04:18 PM
OK, I moved my sat radio ant to a new hidden spot under the cowl vent. It works good, plenty of signal everywhere I've traveled. Then this morning I was sitting in my truck cooling off in the AC with the sounds on and when I turned up the AC fan to high, I lost Sirius reception. I turned the fan down one click and the siginal came back!! So with the AC on high-no signal, 3/4 up-full signal. WTF could be going on? Bad ground on the blower motor?

Jayhawkk
05-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Ac interferes with radar too. Maybe the same principle?

2wheeler
05-27-2005, 09:05 PM
No kidding? I've never heard that. The wierdest part to me is that my problem only happens on the highest fan setting. I guess I'll check the grounds, connections, etc...

JimJ
05-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Radiated noise into the Sirius unit. It's not RF-proof, so in the presence of a noise source it picks up and sends the noise back to the receiver. Ferrite cores around the AC blower leads might keep them from radiating...so could a common-mode choke on the coaxial feedline.

Insomniac119
05-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Radiated noise into the Sirius unit. It's not RF-proof, so in the presence of a noise source it picks up and sends the noise back to the receiver. Ferrite cores around the AC blower leads might keep them from radiating...so could a common-mode choke on the coaxial feedline.
awsome.

2wheeler
05-31-2005, 03:00 AM

Do you mean the antenna, or the tuner unit?

JimJ
05-31-2005, 03:18 AM
Wouldn't hurt to shield both.

2wheeler
05-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Any ideas for shielding materials?

JimJ
05-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Like I said...Type 43 (or similar) ferrite split beads on the power/ground of the AC blower would be a good way to stop them radiating. Fair Radio Surplus Sales (http://fairradio.com/) usually has good prices on ferrite RF chokes.

2wheeler
05-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the link.