PDA

View Full Version : Cutting The Wood For a Box

Harrison486
05-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey guys! What's going on? Well, I just got my 12" Kicker CVR installed. Right now it is sitting in a prefab Q-Logic 1.25 cf sealed box. Surprisingly, after reading a lot of the feelings on this site about prefab boxes, the thing just sounds amazing (at least to me). However, it seems like if I were to build a better box myself, it would sound better. Am I correct in my thinking? Would a ported box be good? Anyway, I was wondering if I could get a place like Home Depot or Lowes to cut the wood for me? Also, even if they do cut the wood, can they cut out the mounting circle for the sub or no? Thanks.

TrlcKed_OuT
05-27-2005, 08:35 AM
they can cut wood but let me tell ya if you can do it yourself do it cus theyve ****ed some of my **** up.....and i dont think they can /will do the circles....

req
05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
your best bet, is to have somone design the box, and draw it in AUTOCAD (or somthing similar) and then have them make a cutsheet on a 4x8 (scale) mockup (including a 1\16" gap for the sawblade in between each board)

then bring this to home depot\lowes (wichever looks to have the better ripper) and have them cut it.. slip the guy a $5 to make sure he does a good job ;)

IMO - $5 is worth 3 hours of cutting yourself and not getting perfect cuts.

otherwise, get the cutsheet and see if any of your family\friends have any intereste or expierence in carpentry, and ask them for help :)

ruckus
05-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Make sure you cut the guy some cash before hand though cause they "dont provide precision cuts" as it says on the sign in my homedepot cutting section. they also charge a store fee of like $.25 per cut after 2 cuts.

Ignatowski
05-27-2005, 09:01 AM
having your box cut at home depot is a garentee it wont fit correct
BUY A SAW ......
ya cheap bastid :D

Harrison486
05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
So if I do get a box cut by home depot and geet them to use a cut sheet and all....

if they won't cut the circle out, how do i go about doing it?

Moe Lester
05-27-2005, 01:00 PM
So if I do get a box cut by home depot and geet them to use a cut sheet and all....

if they won't cut the circle out, how do i go about doing it?

drill + jigsaw or a router + circle jig or a rotozip + circle jig, or a dremel + circle jig or if you are crazy, maybe a scroll saw.

a jigsaw is probably the cheapest way to go

90accordman
05-27-2005, 01:47 PM
i'll be getting my box cut at home depot just for the time saved from be doing it myself, i have the extra money to kick down 5-10 bucks for someone else to do it. I trust someone else to cut straight more then i trust myself as all i have are a circular saw and jigsaw (no tablesaw).

ruckus
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I actually did all my cuts with a jigsaw LOL I really need a table saw. sanding was a btch afterwards.

FOSGATE JOE
05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
just did my NEW sealed box cuts at homedePOT just watch them when thay do the cuts and look for a new casher thay don't all was make you pay for the cuts at less i didn't

Harrison486
05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
drill + jigsaw or a router + circle jig or a rotozip + circle jig, or a dremel + circle jig or if you are crazy, maybe a scroll saw.

a jigsaw is probably the cheapest way to go

Lol... I dont think I have any of those tools.... :crap:

SliderX
05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
You think I could get some good cuts using a circular saw?

TrlcKed_OuT
05-27-2005, 04:51 PM
You think I could get some good cuts using a circular saw?
its hard as **** for me....**** thing moves to much but if u got something to keep it in a straight line then give it a try.....

Harrison486
05-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Honestly, I think the closest tool I have is a hacksaw :crying:

Any hope for me?

Deamonicus
05-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Ok check it out. Home Depot will cut the wood for you but I would just let them do the basic straight cuts. If it's a little off so what that is what carpet is for. As for the hole for the sub, go buy a jig saw. They cost about $30. Or look for a garage sale. I've only made two boxes but I get better each time. Try it, you'll like it and then when your friends ask where you got the killer box, just tell them you made it. :D

Harrison486
05-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Well I just got a jigsaw...

But as for my friends commenting on my box...

Last night, when I showed them my system which right now includes a prefab q-logic box, one said "Dude, this box is amazing. You know its good when its one of those home-made felt ones..." I just looked at him..

My other friend started talking about how he wanted an audiobahn amp, and this other kid goes "They are awesome. Really powerful which will make your sound so much clearer and they look **** good!"

So yeah... forget my friends :eek:

Bigrick31
05-28-2005, 02:45 AM
get a firned with a water jet cutting device (tool used for cutting granit) those are awesome and i just built a box that was cut by one. mmmmmmm very smooth cuts. otherwise sometimes homedepot or other lumber yards will cut for you for about $.10 a cut but ive had the manager get pissed because i was tying up the table saw for a while with all the cust for my box

traksta15
05-28-2005, 02:49 AM
i have a jigsaw and a skill saw, and a table saw, and i've never used the table saw b4, but i plan on it, so far all my boxes have been built with a jig/skill saws, drill, and sealants....

geowick07
11-23-2006, 07:38 AM
The Home Depot by me has a sign above the saw that says, "No Project or Precision Cuts". So, i usually just have the guy cut the board in half to make it easier to maneuver. If i don't have a circular saw or table saw available (which i usually don't because i don't own one yet!), I just use a jigsaw and a straight-edge. Seems to work fine for me. Takes a bit longer, but in the end, works out just fine. Just my $0.02