PDA

View Full Version : mid bass imaging question

suparunna2000
05-26-2005, 08:44 AM
so, i am going with 5 1/4 components in custom kick panels and 10" subs directlty behind the drivers seats ('02 nissan altima). basically im aiming for the best quality audio right at the drivers seat head rest. i think that makes sense. i want to put some 6.5 or 6.75 mid bass drivers somewhere in the car. i was thinking of the side of the sub box or in the front or rear doors where the original speakers were.

is it as important to throw the mid bass equidistant from the head rest similiar to the component speakers, or is it more of a subwoofer situation where it doesnt really matter where they are located?

HAVINGFUN
05-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Get a good set of 6.5's and put them in the stock location. If you do this yourself take a look at one of the stickies that is on this site I think there is one that shows how to really deaden your doors for great midbass. You will need things like dynamat and foam etc. If you do this correctly and have good speakers with plenty of power going to them you will have great sound. Adding midbass to other locations in the car can be very tricky and is directional so you do not want it anywhere but in front of you.

tRiGgEr
05-26-2005, 10:37 AM
If you are doing kicks. The original factory door location is a good place for the midbass. If you are able to angle them up towards the drivers seat this would be even better. I have my XXX6.5's in the factory location angled up. Midbass responce is great.

squeak9798
05-26-2005, 10:39 AM
so, i am going with 5 1/4 components in custom kick panels and 10" subs directlty behind the drivers seats ('02 nissan altima). basically im aiming for the best quality audio right at the drivers seat head rest. i think that makes sense. i want to put some 6.5 or 6.75 mid bass drivers somewhere in the car. i was thinking of the side of the sub box or in the front or rear doors where the original speakers were.

is it as important to throw the mid bass equidistant from the head rest similiar to the component speakers, or is it more of a subwoofer situation where it doesnt really matter where they are located?

Yes, it is still very important where the midbass is located. You will want the pathlength differences as minimal as possible. And, for proper imaging and such, you want them out infront of you, at the outer edges of the car (i.e. you can't throw them in the center console, for example).

The differences between midrange and midbass is that the aiming of the midbass isn't as important as it is for the midrange. You can have the midbass off-axis in your front doors and still have good tonality and good imaging, whereas the aiming of the midrange is going to be very important to the tonality and imaging. But, path length differences and positioning in the car are still very important for both of them.

suparunna2000
05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
fantastic ... i can angle and cut and prod all i want. went up to the local pick a part junk yard and peeled two door panels off of old wrecked altima for 5 bux a pop!

suparunna2000
05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
actually ... what can be used to shape and make beautiful anything done in the plastic of the doors?

tRiGgEr
05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
actually ... what can be used to shape and make beautiful anything done in the plastic of the doors?

Really fiberglass would be your best bet. Remember you don't want it fully angled at your head. This would look, well retarded. Imagine a midbass driver all croked in your doors lol. A 25/30 degree angle would be nice.

You might want to give glassing a couple test runs before you actually do it. To gain a bit of experience.

suparunna2000
05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
got ya ... but how do u mimick the doors material, color, texture, etc ... if im going in the doors i want it near perfect! i have to fabricate my own kick panels for the mids as well as the sub box, so i will get practice there with the glass.

TPABlazer
05-26-2005, 01:17 PM
got ya ... but how do u mimick the doors material, color, texture, etc ... if im going in the doors i want it near perfect! i have to fabricate my own kick panels for the mids as well as the sub box, so i will get practice there with the glass.

Depends on the door and the fabric/texture

they have texture paints, and you can always vynl etc