PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass over a ported enclosure

AznRevlAzn
05-25-2005, 12:44 AM
before i get to finally fiberglassing my interior, I would like to know if this works, I make the Ported enclosure (MDF of course) but then i want it covered with fiberglass so it fits snug replacing my rear seats (rear eats and etc have been removed) This is a horrid paint representation of what i want done:

http://l2concept.nrgservers.net/fiberglass.JPG

as you can see, yellow represent the area that the cloth is stretched over, the gray lines represent my bad idea of a 3d version model of it using paint. The orange area of course is the enclosure enclosure not being housed in the fiberglassed enclosure

Will it work correctly?

DOHCrazy
05-25-2005, 12:46 AM
So, your just making a flush mount cover to make your box blend in?

AznRevlAzn
05-25-2005, 12:47 AM
yup ;P

edit// sleepy time for me, i'll check up tomorrow morning

DOHCrazy
05-25-2005, 12:48 AM
If its not changing the actuall box any, and only there for looks, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

JAZN
05-25-2005, 01:29 AM
should work just fine but looks like itd take forever and if u plan to paint...wow thats gonna ****.

Acidburn
05-25-2005, 02:21 AM
it'll work fine but since that piece is just cosmetic, just stetch some fleece and add resin, no reason to waste FG on it

ruckus
05-25-2005, 08:00 AM
hope it works good, Im doing something similar to my box ;)

AznRevlAzn
05-25-2005, 11:33 AM
alright cool, yeah i am not gonna waste my money on fiberglass though i already have loads of it from the past project i did with my friends door panel repairs. I see noe need to waste it >:D

I knew this was gonna work cause there no reason for the performance of the enclosure to lower when theres just fiberglass not covering the port and woofer placement. It was just buggin me "IF" it didn't.

req
05-25-2005, 11:49 AM
do yourself a favor tho - cover your box with tape and **** first... like you would on your carpet in your trunk.

bolt the box in its final spot, then make sure its 100% covered, and then stretch and paint.

this way the 'beauty glass' will be removeable. also - a cool tip is to glass OVER the top of the mounting holes for the sub... so only the cone\surround is sticking out (like a W7) - this will also prevent theft!!

just make a baffle ring, cut it out with a router so its like a flushmount (but put it on backwards) and temporarially secure it in place (after you cover the rest of the box) and make sure the resin sticks to it.

then you got a nice 'flushmounted' sub with no screwholes - and they have to figure out how to remove the huge beauty panel to get at the sub. id sugges the same kind of treatment for the amp.

ruckus
05-25-2005, 11:54 AM
do yourself a favor tho - cover your box with tape and **** first... like you would on your carpet in your trunk.

good idea make it like a shroud for the box. Im gonna do that.

req
05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
yea. basically a hood for the box\amp\wires\****.

helps make it look clean, and it will help prevent theft, specially if you rivet the feckin thing in place under the carpet or somthin :)

use some big-*** rivets.

AznRevlAzn
05-25-2005, 12:03 PM
yup, exactly what i was thinking lol. But then again, it is gonna be a HUGE fiberglass cover to begin with. I don't think anyone in ther right mind is going to lift something that is literally 3x there size, though the extra precautionary steps are a must :D

ruckus
05-25-2005, 12:05 PM
well im using t-nuts and security head screws on my sub, amp and bar grill. Since im not planning on removing it once its in. So if someone does jack it it will be a bit of a pain getting the stuff out. ;)

req
05-25-2005, 12:15 PM
thats what i plan on doing as well :)