PDA

View Full Version : I can't get my mdf rings to stay in place on my kickpanel project???

loudfivepoint0
05-25-2005, 12:08 AM
When I try to hot glue the mdf rings to my kick panel (plastic material) the supports won't stick to the plastic material. I have thought of just making myself a fiberglass mold but there is part of the kickpanel I couldn't recreate from fiberglass because it is very thin and extends up to the window. At least I don't want to recreate it.....Could i glass the lower part of the kickpanel, and then hot glue the stuff on? Would the glass stick to the plastic? I'm getting very aggrivated at this stuff. BTW I'll be using cdt ef-61 comps and they are supposed to have really good off axis sound. So is it THAT important that I angle them directly at my ears? Or should I maybe try to keep them from being pointed directly at my ears......and for all you imaging freaks out there, there is only a 6" difference between my kick's distances from ear to speaker. Sounds pretty good. Any tips for me.....I've only done one fiberglass install. And I trashed it too.

DSMRevolution
05-25-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't know if this will work for what you are trying to do, but how about using rivits? You could countersink the rivits into the MDF also so they would not interfere with the speakers. Just a thought!

dbornotdb
05-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Right where the glue will be on the panel, drill a small hole for the glue to run into. It willl hold good enough then.

req
05-25-2005, 09:14 AM
dont forget, epoxy resin is NOT MEANT to bond well to ABS plastics.

youd be better off trying to fabricate the entire piece :(

Decipha
05-25-2005, 09:46 AM
did some one say duck tape?

j/j

Insomniac119
05-25-2005, 11:58 PM
sand/scratch the **** out of it, use some adhesion premoter primer or adhesion spray, etc etc