PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 8445 or Alpine 9855??

travis1243
05-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey, I"m going to be buying one of these 2 units in the next couple days, I was wondering which you guys would recommend and why?

I have one place telling me the Alpine sounds better and the other telling me the Eclipse sounds better. I just need another opinion.

Definatly the Alpine wins for looks, but what about features/sound quality, etc??

Also do you guys know the difference between the Eclipse 8445 and the 8455?

Thanks

travis1243
05-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Oh btw, I can get the Alpine for $400cdn and the Eclipse for $600cdn..

So $316USD for the Alpine and $474USD for the Eclipse..

That sound like a good deal?

Beat_Dominator
05-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Deal sounds decent. I love my Eclipse but if you like the looks and features of the Alpine I'd get that and save the $. There will be little difference in quality.

netherland24
05-23-2005, 12:21 AM
the 55 is a ***** to use glidetouch is gay. and eclipse is the **** i love it

Echo42987
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Well actually if you want strictly SQ I would go with the Eclipse because If I'm not mistaken those have a 8v pre-out for your amps, which would be amazing.

On the other hand the Alpine only has a 5v. But I have the older model, 9835, and it has amazing sound quality and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

But I don't have any experiance with the newer models the Eclipse has made.

Me personally, would go with the Alpine. Amazing features, the ooohhh ah when someone new gets in your car, etc.

Beat_Dominator
05-23-2005, 12:24 AM
the 55 is a ***** to use glidetouch is gay. and eclipse is the **** i love it

The glide touch is crazy easy to use, it's just weird and some of us (me included) are resistant to change and prefer buttons.

travis1243
05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
so you guys think that SQ wise they are about the same? slight edge to the eclipse??

Echo42987
05-23-2005, 12:34 AM
so you guys think that SQ wise they are about the same? slight edge to the eclipse??

Yep

nauc
05-23-2005, 01:18 AM

def... not, at least using the 9833 and the 8454 (i think)

i demoed the 2 side by side, adjusted each to sound its best and the alpine won hands down

the highs on the eclipse didnt sound as life like as the alpine EXCEPT when i turned the dsp feature on

felt the alpine was more flexable as far as xover, time correction and eq and easier to use

try and demo them side by side, and figure out how to use everything

i also like the fact that you can take the face off

i bought the 9833 and love it

3.5Max6spd
05-23-2005, 09:29 AM
I 'd visit some shops and play with both before making your decision...... I install on the weekends PT for a local shop, IMO Alpines decks have been mediocre for years

was more flexable as far as xover, time correction and eq and easier to use The crossover may have lower points, but all you speak of is different on the menu on the 9855's- its is HARDER to use. Glad you like your 9833, but we are not talking about your deck.

i demoed the 2 side by side, adjusted each to sound its best and the alpine won hands down
your opinion- but where's the proof?

BTW if you want to know how good a deck sounds you play it set on flat- bells and whistles are to customize the sound how YOU want, not representative of the decks capability to best deliver the recording. A good set of ears can hear the difference between a 24bit deck and a 1 bit deck- the 24bit deck just processes more information efficiently, deliver a more warm uniform sound as you pile on volume- Same
as you sit down watching a movie on a RCA home theater system as opposed to one with a Pioneer ELITE or DENON receiver- its just better.

3.5Max6spd
05-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Here's the opinion of someone that has used both units being discussed (and actually HAS PROOF! w/ pics)

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96643

travis1243
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Do you guys know what the 8455 has that the 8445 doesn't?

3.5Max6spd
05-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Do you guys know what the 8455 has that the 8445 doesn't?

The 8455 has front, rear, sub independent crossovers and 10 bands of peq on pro mode while from what has been told the 8445 has a F&R/ sub combined crossover point and 7 bands of peq. I do not know if the 8445 has different xover settings while on Advanced mode, from this eiserv diagram it doesnt appear so...
http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/images/audio_customize.jpg

Basically if you'd like to go full active with an Eclipse deck the 8455 is the way to go.

nauc
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Here's the opinion of someone that has used both units being discussed (and actually HAS PROOF! w/ pics)

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96643

proof... :uhoh:

prove he can hear

3.5Max6spd
05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
proof... :uhoh:

prove he can hear

hehe

forbidden
05-23-2005, 04:56 PM
He has been dealing with someone here on this forum....wonder who that might be..... I will keep my opinions out of this thread.

BodegaBay
05-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Not so much proof as one man's opinion in that post. Mind you that I actually had both units A/B'ed in my car -not some showroom- and tweaked for SQ. Take my opinion's for what's it worth but I have owned the following units in the last 15 years:

Alpine 7802
Two other 1990's Alpine models (forgot their #'s)
Sony CDX-C90
Alpine 9815
Eclipse 8443
Clarion DRZ9255
Eclipse 8455

Given that I A/B compared the two units and owned some pretty high end units, I think my opinion should count for something. That said, I still stand by my conclusion that the new Eclipse 8455 is still the superior unit for SQ. A plus to the new Eclipse models is that their crossover points and other electronic adjustments is MUCH more flexible vs. previous models -- very much catching up the Alpine! And of course, the 8455 has GPS and auto EQ via microphone is cherry on top.

Certainly the Alpine 9855 has the gorgeous display and variable LED color match is a plus. Also notable is the dead silent sound (or lack there of) when one powers up or down the amps - no pops whatsoever. The GlideTouch, IMO, is a novelty at best, sh*t at wost. Memo to Alpine's marketing team: It's a head unit, not a laptop; stop driving your engineers to design such nonsense. Alpine's SQ, while very much improved vs. their two year old 9815 model, is still not a contender to Eclipse's top deck. Mated to JL Audio 300/2 and 300/4 amps, the Alpine still exhibited harshness and graininess in the upper end; it got worst as the volume was cranked up. The Eclipse on the other hand just handled it beautifully and effortlessly as volume increased. Really top notch.

I really wanted Alpine to win based on the gorgeous display. That and because I have been an Alpine fan since they were the boutique brand of the early 90's. They certainly have not been that in a while nor will they ever return. Eclipse became the boutique brand just a little time after Alpine and have taken it's place since Alpine went way mainstream. However, the sound from the Eclipse just just so effortless and detailed. My vote is of course, spend the extra $100+ for the 8455.

Good luck. Let us know your personal findings?

Harrison
05-25-2005, 07:29 AM
I will say as a user of the 9853, the glide touch is not that big of a deal at all. It takes no time to get used to, and there are notches where buttons should be that make it easy to know what preset you are going to switch to. It is faster for me to get through menus also. Basicly it is a thing that seems hard at first and then becomes easier as your brain begins to make it a natural motion.

Ignatowski
05-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Eclipse,nice HU's. over priced IMO - if money os not an objetc go Eclipse
Alpine,great SQ,loosing quality control on some new models
glide touch is totally wack imo

travis1243
05-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Just getting some opinions Forbidden... I made my choice tho, the Eclipse 8445... I went down to Future Shop and played around with it... Not as ugly of a deck in person as in the pictures. Actually was a nice looking HU in the store... I'm sure I"ll be happy with it.

Thanks for the replies..

JLCivic
05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Eclipse,nice HU's. over priced IMO - if money os not an objetc go Eclipse
Alpine,great SQ,loosing quality control on some new models
glide touch is totally wack imo

Eclipse has 5V/55 ohm pre out decks starting at $179. It all depends on what you prioritize in a deck, I suppose. I don't see eclipse decks as being overpriced.