PDA

View Full Version : horns

saywhat?
05-22-2005, 04:46 PM
alright, how much do these things run and im guessin i would need some kind of mid bass driver to acompany them. what is a price range to get a horn setup running like it should be running with midbass included. or would i be better off running just some 6.5's and tweets? 2005 Mustang V6

JAZN
05-22-2005, 05:16 PM
u have to buy a midrange/midbass along with the horn. they do vary in price a lot but i would say minimum of $200 and thats usually for a used set. horns are really efficient and can run off a low amount of wattage to get loud. heres a set i was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5775189045&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
check out ID too. an external processor would really help to tune them.

squeak9798
05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
alright, how much do these things run

$200-$1000+ depending on which horns you buy. That's like asking how much an amp costs. Well, it completely depends on what amp you are talking about.

and im guessin i would need some kind of mid bass driver to acompany them.

Yes. Usually, the bigger the better due to the horns high efficiency and ability to get extremely loud.

what is a price range to get a horn setup running like it should be running with midbass included.

Well, xover + mids + horns will probably cost anywhere from $350 - $1000+, again, depending on what you get

or would i be better off running just some 6.5's and tweets? 2005 Mustang V6

That's up to you. First thing to decide is if horns would even fit.......

Exaran
05-22-2005, 10:42 PM
What about something like this?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-097
and
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-096

or this
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=280-065

squeak9798
05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Those types of horns will typically not work well in a car audio enviornment, because of the close confines.

Ever noticed the way car audio horn bodies are flared on the backside, and you mount them with this flare facing towards the middle of the car?? Well, they are like that for a reason :D You need this so that the sound is directed towards the center of the vehicle and towards the opposite seating position. Without it, your center imaging and soundstaging would be very messed up.

adam71
05-23-2005, 12:35 PM
In my opinion, I doubt they would be worth the trouble of the complicated installation. I have heard horns before and they did sound nice but not that much nicer than a dome tweeter to garner the higher price and "pain in the ***" install.

psycho72
05-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Don't forget the eq's your pobably gonna need. I would say base your decision on how much effort (work, time & money actually) your willing to put into it. If not much then just get a pair or components and call it a day.

audiolife
05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
In my opinion, I doubt they would be worth the trouble of the complicated installation. I have heard horns before and they did sound nice but not that much nicer than a dome tweeter to garner the higher price and "pain in the ***" install.
not that hard to install (car dependant of course)and its ALOT different than any normal tweeter. they will out image even very good normal installs pretty easily and be alot more muscular in doing so.

squeak9798
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM

It's actually easier and quicker to throw some horns under the dash and mids in the stock locations and end up with pretty impressive imaging, staging and tonality than it is to build kicks with "regular" speakers and acheive the same level if imaging, etc.

In 4hrs you can install horns and mids and, like I said, have almost competition quality staging and imaging. It takes how many days to build a proper kickpanel setup??

saywhat?
05-23-2005, 07:58 PM
well im not sure on what to do quite yet, im gunna get my sub/amp combo bumpin first and then see what my budget is

JAZN
05-23-2005, 08:03 PM
In 4hrs you can install horns and mids and, like I said, have almost competition quality staging and imaging. It takes how many days to build a proper kickpanel setup??
dont remind me. i hate my life. damm people outbidding me for horns. ARG!

the_noob
05-23-2005, 08:23 PM
dont remind me. i hate my life. damm people outbidding me for horns. ARG!

Cheer up emo kid :veryhapp: .

Edit: Just to stay on topic, I had kinda been wondering about horns myself. Are they really the only way to get proper imaging for metal? I mean, do they really justify a $500+ price tag, because I honestly could not imagine spending that much...

audiolife
05-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Cheer up emo kid :veryhapp: .

Edit: Just to stay on topic, I had kinda been wondering about horns myself. Are they really the only way to get proper imaging for metal? I mean, do they really justify a $500+ price tag, because I honestly could not imagine spending that much...
if you never heard them in a good set up. just imagine a speaker louder than your subs that places everything for you

noob with an RS
05-24-2005, 12:51 AM
do horns need tobe angled a certain angle and from a certain spot?

audiolife
05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
you want them straight.

req
05-24-2005, 08:00 AM
by straight, he means parallel to the floor :p:

squeak9798
05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
:word:

You actually want to be off-axis from the horn (hence why they are aimed at your knees). Being straight on with the horn would result in harshness and, frankly, the output would rip your head off.

Are they worth it? I can honestly say that I don't ever plan on taking my horns out of my car (except, maybe to try out a different pair of horns :D ), and all I listen to is rock. Their impact and dynamics are amazing, the imaging is just a bonus :p: And I must say, it's pretty crazy to listen to a stereo and actually feel almost every frequency through your body.

adam71
05-24-2005, 10:31 AM
not that hard to install (car dependant of course)and its ALOT different than any normal tweeter. they will out image even very good normal installs pretty easily and be alot more muscular in doing so.

I guess now that you've made comments about being straight and positioned right I don't think the install I've heard had that kind of detail in mind. I mean it was a nice looking install but it was with straight firing horns mounted (you guessed it) straight. So maybe thats why I wasn't real impressed. But what do you mean by MUSCULAR?? I mean most of us on these forums want a tweeter to be smooth and unobtrusive, rather than Muscular. Am I to associate muscular with HARSH?? Or do you mean loud?? I know they're efficient speakers but what do they sound like at higher levels.??

It's actually easier and quicker to throw some horns under the dash and mids in the stock locations and end up with pretty impressive imaging, staging and tonality than it is to build kicks with "regular" speakers and acheive the same level if imaging, etc.

Yes, it took me a couple days to build my kicks since I didn't use fiber glass. Where would these "horns" be installed at?? In the dash or what? If that is the case I think I'm screwed in my current vehicle. I remember seeing some installs in a couple 90 something issues of car audio magazine and they were in the dash but those cars were older cars that had huge dashboards. Maybe thats why horns are a "niche" market now a days.

Seeing how I'm an SQ first person and have a MORE than adequate EQ (DEQ-P9) I'm going to have to do some research on this subject. Sounds quite interesting. :nerd:

squeak9798
05-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I know they're efficient speakers but what do they sound like at higher levels.??

I honestly feel that my horns sound more "alive" at higher volumes than the do when turned down.

Where would these "horns" be installed at?? In the dash or what?

Just up and under the dash: http://usdaudio.com/tutorials/wg-tut1.php

audiolife
05-24-2005, 12:17 PM
horns dont distort and they get alot louder +15db at least than regular speakers. energy is enormous....you would go back and look at a cdt set or like there of (focal rainbow)and think it was an ethiopian. they can be harsh but so can any speaker. trust me if you can tune, horns have better than average sq vs high end regular speakers