PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Caulking do you use?

SirClay
05-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I am just about done with my box, besides making it air tight. What type of caulking should I use? It is a ported box made out of MDF wood.

I know this has probably been answer before a hundred times, but I can't find the answer....

SirClay
05-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Just plain silicone caulk?

Shyne151
05-22-2005, 01:20 PM

Yup.

jellyfish420
05-22-2005, 01:29 PM
NO!!!

silicone bubble gum :laugh:

chinny
05-22-2005, 03:31 PM
lol

SirClay
05-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Funny?

anyway...Do I need to let the caulk dry before I put the sub into the box? For instance, will the fumes from the caulk have any affect on the sub?

amedeuce
05-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Funny?

anyway...Do I need to let the caulk dry before I put the sub into the box? For instance, will the fumes from the caulk have any affect on the sub?
Yes let it dry, It could have an adverse affect on the sub, the fumes anyway.
I like to use clear latex caulking, less smell, a lot less smell, quicker drying as well..

SirClay
05-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Well I just used the white caulking. How long should I wait to put the sub in?

Decipha
05-22-2005, 05:29 PM
until it dries

SirClay
05-22-2005, 05:42 PM
until it dries

Thanks. You are of great help.

To other people who might not get the question....How long does silicon caulking usually take to dry?

chinny
05-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Yes let it dry, It could have an adverse affect on the sub, the fumes anyway.
I like to use clear latex caulking, less smell, a lot less smell, quicker drying as well..

Latex is only good for condoms! :naughty:

Buckshot
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks. You are of great help.

To other people who might not get the question....How long does silicon caulking usually take to dry?

Hey bro if its 100% Silicone she'll be dry enough to continue working in ~30 minutes at ~65F. Thats my guess.

ruckus
05-22-2005, 06:52 PM
GE Silicone I
100% Silicone Rubber Sealant Clear ;)
$2 in homedepot next to the paint department. says for windows and doors on it best stuff you can get. besides the Silicone II which is more expensive.

amedeuce
05-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I really dont have to use any sealant at all (but I still do), I have all the tools to make straight cuts and I use dado and rabbit joints that over lap, And they turn out air tight...
I put the latex on just for the hell of it. I have used silicone in the past, It does work better, I just had the latex laying around. And I like it better. IMO it works very well never a problem

SirClay
05-23-2005, 11:32 AM
GE Silicone I
100% Silicone Rubber Sealant Clear ;)
$2 in homedepot next to the paint department. says for windows and doors on it best stuff you can get. besides the Silicone II which is more expensive.

Yeah, thats what I used (I couldn't find clear so I bought white). But mine was $4. I got ripped off! I want my $2 back.

ruckus
05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
clear and white look exactly the same on the tube they were mixed together at my homedepot. hopefully i can finish my cuts today to start sanding, glueing, and nailing my box. ;)

SirClay
05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
I finished my box last night except for carpeting it and putting in my sub. Its to **** hot outside to work right now. And I just releazed that I forgot to buy a ground wire for my amp, so I can't get my system running tonight :( .

Emerald_Dragon
05-24-2005, 12:38 PM
ok you people might look at me like im crazy but when i build a box i dont use any caulking. the stuff i use is an expanding foam and it works great, they sell it at the depot under the name great stuff. it's nice because it expands to fill in the crack and makes on heclk of a great seal imo. well there you go thats my two cents

ruckus
05-24-2005, 12:46 PM
ok you people might look at me like im crazy but when i build a box i dont use any caulking. the stuff i use is an expanding foam and it works great, they sell it at the depot under the name great stuff. it's nice because it expands to fill in the crack and makes on heclk of a great seal imo. well there you go thats my two cents I hope you dont have the foam expanded in the box like bubbled out. That not only takes away from volume but it creates more jagged areas for the sound to bouce off of. You want it as smooth as possible in the box.

HAVINGFUN
05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
I hope you dont have the foam expanded in the box like bubbled out. That not only takes away from volume but it creates more jagged areas for the sound to bouce off of. You want it as smooth as possible in the box.

You do not really have to worry about edges if the box is sealed but if is ported then yes those edges can disrupt the rear wave.
I use a specialty caulk that works wonders, it is called

"Caulk n' Balls"

ruckus
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
LMFAO nice name

Emerald_Dragon
05-24-2005, 04:59 PM
well i put corner peices in there about 1.5 to 2 inches in length and after i put the foam in i screw the corner peices in and it fills the airspace in that area plus the corner peice doubles as a bracket. i dont know if this make since to you but basicly it turns every corner into a triangle. thay allways sound great ported or sealed.