PDA

View Full Version : Probably a dumb question...

coolman91985
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
i am looking into getting an all in one home theatre system for my bedroom. it doesnt have to blow me away or anything. i have pretty much decided on what i want. i am looking at the samsung HT-P38 dvd system. i was told that it would be a good idea to have a receiver to handle everything incase the samsung unit stopped working... is this true? i was also wondering if i got a sony receiver and had this samsung system, would i be able to connect them together?

Prowler573
05-21-2005, 10:39 PM
i am looking into getting an all in one home theatre system for my bedroom. it doesnt have to blow me away or anything. i have pretty much decided on what i want. i am looking at the samsung HT-P38 dvd system. i was told that it would be a good idea to have a receiver to handle everything incase the samsung unit stopped working... is this true? i was also wondering if i got a sony receiver and had this samsung system, would i be able to connect them together?
The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

I do not know what real advantage a secondary receiver would be to you with that Samsung setup. The HT-P38 is an all-in-one home theater setup.....it's your receiver (the amplifier and tonal adjustments, the pre-amp or source switching, and the radio tuner) and the DVD player/changer all in one chassis plus the speakers that it comes with. The only thing it does that a receiver won't is play DVDs. Of course, it comes with all those speakers which may or may not sound worth a poo....I dunno.....but I can't see personally that a secondary receiver would really do you any good.

If the suggestion about buying one in case the Samsung took a dive came from wherever you were thinking about buying it I'd wager a guess that the suggestion of a backup inandofitself speaks volumes for the expected reliability of said unit.

coolman91985
05-21-2005, 11:04 PM
i understand what u are saying about there not being any real reason for having a seperate receiver, but would i be able to connect those samsung speakers to a sony receiver (or any seperate receiver) if the main unit stopped working for some reason?

coolman91985
05-21-2005, 11:05 PM
or would it just be better for me to get a seperate receiver, speakers and dvd player?

PV Audio
05-21-2005, 11:06 PM
i have a btter idea, make ur own satts, and then get a receiver

Prowler573
05-21-2005, 11:14 PM
i understand what u are saying about there not being any real reason for having a seperate receiver, but would i be able to connect those samsung speakers to a sony receiver (or any separate receiver) if the main unit stopped working for some reason?

or would it just be better for me to get a separate receiver, speakers and dvd player?

Unless there is some kind of proprietary connection on the speakers where they will only attach to a Samsung receiver I wouldn't imagine that they'd be incompatible with any other brands of gear. Just be certain that the output of the receiver is suitable for the capabilities of the Samsung speakers.

I like the second option better, however....seems like for longevity purposes it would make more sense to just buy a receiver, some speakers, and a DVD player (the latter of which have gotten insanely cheap nowadays)

coolman91985
05-22-2005, 04:51 AM
well for a receiver i was thinking about the STR-DE698, the SA-VE367T for speakers and the DVP-NC875 for a dvd player (all sony). would this be a good set up for a beginner and have good sound quality?

Decipha
05-22-2005, 05:02 AM
IMO altecs sound pretty good for HT but they maybe a little more expensive

remember... you get what you pay for

coolman91985
05-22-2005, 06:50 PM
what/who is altec? where can i get it?

PV Audio
05-22-2005, 11:28 PM
If you have a good set of towers, the subwoofer may be be unnecessary.
:confused: :confused:

no tower speakers can produce the low bass of a subwoofer.....unless ur saying for just regular bass. for home theater (like he is wanting) a subwoofer is a must.

coolman91985
05-22-2005, 11:29 PM
can i hook up any subwoofer to that samsung ht-p38 system???