Closed Thread

Reload Thread: XXX-6500D REVIEW Performance Car Audio Magazine Sept2005

tristan20 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

XXX-6500D REVIEW Performance Car Audio Magazine Sept2005

The following is a review done on the XXX-6500D by Performance Car Audio Magazine and it will be published in an upcoming Sept 2005 Issue.

Soundstream XXX-6500D
    Text and Photos by Dave MacKinnon

Let’s cut to the chase: guys who compete in SPL contests are a rare breed. Very few things matter to them more than power. Power from alternators, power loss in cables, power from batteries, power going into woofers and most importantly, power from their amplifiers. There are a small handful of amplifiers out there that call themselves purpose built, but there are even fewer made especially for the SPL game. The Soundstream XXX-6500D is indeed one of those monsters, and from the moment I heard it was coming, I knew it was going to be an exciting experience.

Design

The XXX-6500D is a Class D amplifier rated to produce a maximum output of 7,000W. More specifically, it’s 3,400W into 4Ω, 4,800W into 2Ω and a monstrous 6,500W into 1Ω. If this is like most other big amps, I am going to need to come up with more than 600A of current to produce full power!

The XXX-6500D features a low-pass crossover, adjustable from 50Hz to 150Hz with a slope of 24dB per octave. Further filtering comes from an 18dB-per-Octave subsonic filter that is adjustable from 15- to 40Hz. A phase control will allow you to adjust output phase between 0 and 180 degrees and a bass boost circuit (if you are brave enough to use it) will let you dial in up to 16dB of boost at 42Hz. Soundstream notes in the owner’s manual and with a sticker on the amp that this amp will accept supply voltages between 11V and 16V. Input sensitivity is adjustable between 500mV and 10V.

There is a phone-style jack from a provided remote level control. On the same end is a switch and secondary jack to allow you to strap two amps together to run a single 2Ω voice coil load. One amp is set as the master and the other as the slave. Two pairs of solid end panel-mounted RCA connections provide a place to feed in the audio signal as well as an output to go onto another amp.

You know that you are dealing with a potent amp when the maker provides 0awg power and ground connections and 4awg speaker wire connections. Removing the back panel of the amp shows that these connections are further distributed through the amp using 8awg jumper cables. The power supply uses a pair of enormous torroidal transformers, each supplied by its own jumpers. Filtering the input to the amp is handled by fifteen 3,300μF, 35V caps. The output rails from the power supply have ten 1,200μF, 150V caps, which are some of the highest voltage caps I have seen on the rails in a long time. There is a large relay on each speaker output terminal to ensure a quiet turn-on and -off. There is also a pair of small fans mounted deep inside the chassis to help circulate air through the amp. They aren’t mounted in a fashion that promotes a direct flow through the amp, but should help nonetheless.

The heat sink – a very important part of an amplifier this big – is a massive industrial-looking chuck of extruded aluminum, that’s correspondingly quite heavy. The top of the amp has big and thick fins the tops of which are diamond-cut. The amp is finished in gunmetal gray paint.

Testing

I got in touch with Peter Pabrucki of Maximum Threshold Custom Car Audio & Security in Kitchener, ON for some help testing this monster. I made a trip up to the shop a week later, where we connected the amp to a 1982 Buick Regal owned by Chris Sames. The Regal had six Delco Voyageur batteries in the trunk, all strapped together with bus bars. This made for a very easy install with a few pieces of 1/0 awg cable.

With my scope, load resistors, current clamp and voltmeter set up, we set forth with the testing. Just one second into the first burp of the amp had the battery voltage drop to 11.6V. With 450A of current flowing into the amp, it belted out 3,364W of power. Fun, but not what I expected. I let the monster Motomaster battery charger reload the amps as much as possible and burped the beast once more. This time, we saw 11.9V and 471A going in, and 3,721W coming out. Better, but I wanted more. I asked Chris (the vehicle owner) to start the car, as maybe the alternator would add some extra juice. With two-year-old gas being burned and the shop filling with raunchy fumes, the batteries quickly filled up to just over 14.9V. We revved the Regal up a bit, and went for the last run. Now, with 517A of current flowing, the input voltage dropped to 12.1V and the amp cranked out an impressive 3,844W. Knowing I wasn’t going to get any more supply voltage, this was recorded as the biggest number of the day.

How does that compare to spec? Soundstream rates the amp at 4,082W RMS with a 13.5V supply voltage. Considering we made almost this much with only 12.1V, this amp is well capable of exceeding its published ratings, if you can feed it the current it wants.

To complete the testing, I disconnected one bank of load resistors to take the load up to 2Ω. With much less current being drawn (259A), the amp made 2,478W with 12.65V on the battery connections. Finally, up at a 4Ω load, the amp cranked out 1,608W while drawing 150A of current at 12.95V, again, just below spec, but at a lot less voltage.

If someone had a big truck with a couple alternators and a dozen batteries, getting WAY more power than this amp is rated for would be an easy feat.

Conclusion

Massive power is a fun and dangerous thing. You could theoretically electrocute yourself with the voltages produced on the speaker wires (80V+), so caution is required when in use. The XXX-6500D is an application-specific monster that knows its job and does it well. It could easily make roughly 5,000W if you could feed it 15V and will definitely rip even some of the toughest woofers to shreds – that’s freakin’ cool. This is the most powerful amp I’ve ever tested!

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: XXX-6500D REVIEW Performance Car Audio Magazine Sept2005

wew.

pretty cool i suppose

how much does it cost tho, and wherea re the pictures?

Closed Thread