Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Amp mounting & bunch of other questions, pics too

kramonut is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amp mounting & bunch of other questions, pics too

Hi there,

I'm working on getting an amp hooked up in my Jeep Wrangler. Since it's a Jeep (& I do go offroad often) I need things hidden & safe from water. I'm also new to the car audio so I have a ton of questions if ya don't mind helping a noob.

First, mounting my amp. I want to put it in my center console & from the pic you can see that it will fit, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't mount it to plastic.

Does this look like it could be a dangerous (as in melt the console) situation? The amp is brand new, Clarion APA450. I will drill a hole & insert a bolt/nut from the outside to hold it to the inside of the console. As you can see there is an opening from the old stock subwoofer set-up that the Jeep came with. Should I put a thin rubber mat type of thing between the amp & the console?

Also, in the pic below you see that the RCA's can't go in straight, where can I find right angle RCA's?

This being a 4 channel amp there is RCA inputs for the front & rear. My headunit (Pioneer P4600MP) only has 2 RCA outs. I plan to add a sub later, so if I just plug into the Front on the amp, is that ok? (sorry such a dumb question, but I don't want to be in the middle of installing all of it & realize I screwed up big time). It's only a Wrangler so there's really no rear speakers.

This amp will power front 5.25's (still looking for a set) & 6.5 Infinity Reference coaxials in the soundbar. What test tone would be good for setting the gain on these speakers? They'll obviously be handling the mids/highs.

FINALLY! One last ridicious question! The amp has (2) 25 amp fuses, when figuring out what size wire to take to it, do I just take one of the fuses? or consider it 50 amps?

Thanks for any help you can give!

SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amp mounting & bunch of other questions, pics too

1. You will probobally be ok mounting it inside of the center console. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but it should work allright, since it looks like you do have some air space for it to cool. I doubt it would come close to melting the plastic.

2. I have no idea where you can find right angle RCA's... ask radioshack.

3. Yes it will be just fine to only have the front channels plugged in.

4. 8 guage wire would be more than enough for that amp.

Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks hot in there

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SSS 18734
    1. You will probobally be ok mounting it inside of the center console. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but it should work allright, since it looks like you do have some air space for it to cool. I doubt it would come close to melting the plastic.

2. I have no idea where you can find right angle RCA's... ask radioshack.

3. Yes it will be just fine to only have the front channels plugged in.

4. 8 guage wire would be more than enough for that amp.
    Thx!! Yeah it's not the most desireable place, but my (secure) options are few in the Jeep.

Thx again.

Mark

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if i were you, i would try and get a piece of metal and some angle brackets, and attach that to the amp, and then the metal to the floor of the jeep and use the console to cover up the amp, not directly mounting the amp to the console. if thats possible that is.

as for the RCA issue. i think you might want to use a Line Output Converter on the rear STOCK speaker wires (make sure you have the HU wired so the stock speakers are still able to produce sound when hooked up to a speaker) and splice the LOC onto that for your third set of RCA's. ultimatly it would be controlled by the fader and you would NOT have an independant bass controll for the subwoofer. but you would run into that problem anyway.

i suggest using an amp with a remote gain knob (even though these are TERRIBLE, your situation warrants this because you would not be able to 'gain down' or lower the bass strictly at the amplifier without it.

please ask any more questions that you have

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

req, thx a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by req
    if i were you, i would try and get a piece of metal and some angle brackets, and attach that to the amp, and then the metal to the floor of the jeep and use the console to cover up the amp, not directly mounting the amp to the console. if thats possible that is.
    That is exactly what I had planned on doing, but I didn't measure correctly & actually had less room than I thought. My own darn fault there I may see if I can get some flat aluminum stock from Lowes & maybe bend it into an "L" shape, screw the amp to it & mount it to the floor. It would still lean right in that groove of the console, but it'll atleast be the thickness of the 'AL' away from it & probably easier to wire it up & get the console back in.

as for the RCA issue. i think you might want to use a Line Output Converter on the rear STOCK speaker wires (make sure you have the HU wired so the stock speakers are still able to produce sound when hooked up to a speaker) and splice the LOC onto that for your third set of RCA's. ultimatly it would be controlled by the fader and you would NOT have an independant bass controll for the subwoofer. but you would run into that problem anyway.
    Now this took me a couple read before it sunk in...lol. I'm not familiar w/ LOC's, so I did a quick search. I think I follow you, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I would need a 2 channel LOC. The LOC would wire on the rear speaker wires on the headunit harness. The RCA's from the LOC go to the rear channel of the amp. The rear speakers, or in my case the soundbar go to the approriate channel on the amp. Am I on track there?

BTW - Is this a good LOC?
    http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm
    Specifically: http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=NE-8V

i suggest using an amp with a remote gain knob (even though these are TERRIBLE, your situation warrants this because you would not be able to 'gain down' or lower the bass strictly at the amplifier without it.
    Can I ask why these are terrible? I was anticipating getting one, although I haven't picked out a sub or amp, I was under the impression that it would be a good way to adjust the bass on the sub amp.

Thx again for your help!

Closed Thread