Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Modded Mtx thunder 1501 D please help

nikosbuddy is offline I pooped a hammer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Modded Mtx thunder 1501 D please help

well heres whats up ladies and gents...
    My amp is a beaut....i love the thing but i dont have a clue how to set one of these bad boys....i have it hooked up to my sonic Fx and it wangs...but i dont think tuned properly like it should be....
    there is :
    1.Phase = 0-180, you can set it that way..dont have a clue what that means...
    2.Eq = i can move this and it will be kinda quiet to messy....
    3.Frequency = the more i turn it the louder and messier....but it doesnt really have any numbers...so i dont have a clue
    4.Gain = i know this one, i can set it, but i want it all to be good....
    Heres were im at honestly, my head unit is alright, when i turn it up the sub gets messy is that because of the signal from the headunit or the power or the messieness coming from the amp....this was good until i decided to touch it...
    But with the Eq and Frequency i can use the help and what the hell is phase...i am also kinda hoping to upgrade my system for more power i cant wait....

!!!Please help!!!

Mike

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Modded Mtx thunder 1501 D please help

bump

SixthFloorFreak is offline Capattery™ Inventor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hopefully Scottie can come in here, but since i have one of these, maybe i can offer a little help.

The EQ setting is like a bass boost, i would turn it all the way down if at all possible. Its centered at like 45hz or something, and will just color your bass. But, your personal tastes may dictate using it.

The frequency setting is the low pass crossover. Not sure if the amp has markings, but after some searching, i found that the range is 40hz to 200hz. This means that with the dial straight up, the x-over point is approximately120hz which is too high IMO. You'll want the x-over point somewhere around 60-80hz, depending on how your mids are x-ed. You may have to experiment with this setting to get it to your tastes, but start somewhere around a quarter turn up from the lowest setting and work from there.

don't worry about the phase until everything else is set. at that point, you can try switching it to see if there is an audible difference. really not that important on a daily set up, the phase is mostly for use when strapping

first off, what kind of deck do you have? i run an Alpine, so i'm not sure how others behave, but i always adjust the gains with the subwoofer level at its highest, so i get the highest signal i can to the amp, and also so there is no chance for someone to mess with the settings on my deck and overdrive the subs. this method works well IMO, because you have a line you can't cross, and you have the maximum amount of adjustability downward should you want the bass level lower at certain times. as far as the gain goes, there are all sorts of fancy methods for setting it. since you have a sub that will take the power, i'd go the generic route. MAKE SURE THE 1501 IS OFF!!! Unplug the RCA's from it, and find at what volume you highs start to cut out. Now, turn the deck off, plug RCA's back into the 1501, turn the deck back on and adjust the volume to the level you just found for the highs, and adjust the gain til the sub blends well with your highs. It will let you know if its struggling at any point.

note: if you adjust the gains to rock or some other material that doesn't have subsonics in it, you will need to be careful when playing unknown songs that may send the woofer below tuning. a certain gain setting that is fine for rock may overdrive your woofer when presented with material below the tuning frequency of your box.
    Last edited by SixthFloorFreak; 03-24-2005 at 10:22 AM.

1998 Camaro Z28 - M6, !CAGS, H/C, headers, Pro 5.0, LCA's
    1995 Accord Wagon - 9835, iPod, Pioneer Premier PRS-X720, 2 Incriminator Audio 187's

scottiej is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

X2 on everything Brad said... I usually use heavy bass content music to set my levels... like Brad said, get a reference level with the subs off, then start with the amp gain low and slowly turn up the gain until they're maxed out at the same time the highs are. As far as the freq setting, it depends on what size subs you have, but I usually start with it at about a quarter (3 or 4 posistion) which should be around 50-80hz range, honestly I usually set the bass eq on about 2 to start... and change it up or down depending on the tuning of the box. Honestly a lot of people hate the way the amps dont have alot of markings on the adjustments, but the engineers at Mitek claim that this forces the end user to actually listen to the way the amp changes by adjusting them and not paying so much attention to what the knob says. (good idea imo)

Scottie Johnson
    Sound Pressure Technologies

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you guys are beautiful....thanks guys, i cant wait im going to go out there and work on it on my lunch...im running 14. volts continuously....13.9 when the bass hits....but yeah im surprised..im very surprised....i love the amp i do...just need to learn to set it...im goiing to print out all the information and go from there working on getting more serious into car audio so im trying to learn stuff...look at my post in the subwoofer section on sound i would really appreciate it!
    thanks
    Mike

Closed Thread