Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Newbie needs advice about JL Audio Amp

Hello. It's probably been 10 years since I've had a really nice car stereo set-up, and I'm ready to take the plunge again. I can't seem to get good advice at local audio shops I've been too, so I thought I'd post a few questions here. I just bought a new clarion head unit (DXZ845MC) with 2 sets of pre-outs and I'd like to purchase the following:

1 JL Audio 300/4 to run 2 pairs of JL Audio XR650-CXI6.5's
    1 JL Audio 500/1 to run a single JL Audio 10W6 in a .88 cf sealed enclosure

I'm putting the system in a 2004 Dodge Ram Quad cab pickup - the sub box is a custom box that replaces the middle seat up front (40/20/40) seats up front)

The 6.5's would go in each of the 4 doors. I might also ad a pair of JL Audio TR 350-CX3.5's in the dash and run them off of the head unit.

Does it look like I have enough power for all of the speakers and sub? Are my ohms going to be an issue? Any recommendations to make this system sound better? I'm on a budget of about $1500 and can get all of the JL stuff for about that much from an online vendor. Are the coaxials going to sound o.k. or should I consider components up front? I primarily listen to Country and newer rock music. Thank you in advance for your help.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Newbie needs advice about JL Audio Amp

Quote Originally Posted by killertraylor
    Hello. It's probably been 10 years since I've had a really nice car stereo set-up, and I'm ready to take the plunge again. I can't seem to get good advice at local audio shops I've been too, so I thought I'd post a few questions here. I just bought a new clarion head unit (DXZ845MC) with 2 sets of pre-outs and I'd like to purchase the following:

1 JL Audio 300/4 to run 2 pairs of JL Audio XR650-CXI6.5's
    1 JL Audio 500/1 to run a single JL Audio 10W6 in a .88 cf sealed enclosure

I'm putting the system in a 2004 Dodge Ram Quad cab pickup - the sub box is a custom box that replaces the middle seat up front (40/20/40) seats up front)

The 6.5's would go in each of the 4 doors. I might also ad a pair of JL Audio TR 350-CX3.5's in the dash and run them off of the head unit.

Does it look like I have enough power for all of the speakers and sub? Are my ohms going to be an issue? Any recommendations to make this system sound better? I'm on a budget of about $1500 and can get all of the JL stuff for about that much from an online vendor. Are the coaxials going to sound o.k. or should I consider components up front? I primarily listen to Country and newer rock music. Thank you in advance for your help.

Power seems fine. Impedences shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend you get some sound deadening for the doors, and seriously consider a component set for upfront.

Honestly, I would probably drop down to a 300/2 for the front, run the rear co-axials off the headunit's internal amp and get a comp set for the front to run off the 300/2. And don't get 3.5's for the dash.

killertraylor is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks - that's some great advice. I'm going to go with MB Quart PCE 216's 6.5 comps in the front doors and power them with a 300/2 and run the rear coaxials off the deck. Should I mount the tweeters in the dash where the 3.5" dash speakers are located, or should I put them on the doors relatively close to the 6.5's?

Thanks again!

Joe

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by killertraylor
    Should I mount the tweeters in the dash where the 3.5" dash speakers are located, or should I put them on the doors relatively close to the 6.5's?
    Buy some velcro and play around with the tweeter mounting (dash, door, a-pillar, etc) till you find the spot that you think sounds best. Though typically it is better to mount the tweeter near the mid.

Closed Thread