Closed Thread

Reload Thread: kenwood kac729s vs. jl 250/1 for 10w3

thinkbrianthink is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

kenwood kac729s vs. jl 250/1 for 10w3

i work at best buy so i can get the kenwood amp for next to nothing. just didnt know if there would THAT much of a quality hit compared to the jl amp. i know its not as good but im not putting a system together for show. i will just have a kenwood amp with speakers replacing the four factory speakers and then another amp and sub. just dont know which amp im going to buy for the sub. any comments?

indosia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The 250/1 would sound way better for bass.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    define 'way' better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The JL 250/1 is a mono amp designed to push subs, especially w3s. It has a greater damping factor (500) and much less distortion than the kenwood(bridged). I
    used to have a kac-728s powering my front speakers. When i tried to bridge it to power two JL 12W6s it shut down. It cannot handle loads below 4ohms bridged. If you can get it for cheap, use it for your front speakers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    >The JL 250/1 is a mono amp designed to push subs, especially w3s. It has a greater >damping factor (500)

what is damping factor?

>and much less distortion than the kenwood(bridged)

.05 THD (jl) is THAT much of an improvement over .08 (kenwood)?

>I used to have a kac-728s powering my front speakers. When i tried to bridge it to >power two JL 12W6s it shut down. It cannot handle loads below 4ohms bridged.

correct me if im wrong but this amp bridged pushing the 10w3 would be a 4 ohm load...

>If you can get it for cheap, use it for your front speakers.

Im getting a four channel for the surround speakers. i thought i had already explained that in the first post.

---what im looking for here is an un-biased opinion as to whether the jl amp would be favored over the kenwood in a BIG way. i understand that its a better amp all around but you must understand that im not into big super-precise car stereos. i just want to know if there will be a COMPLETELY audible difference in the two amps on a 10w3. if its going to be a completely ****** sound from the kenwood amp then i would splurge and get the jl. if its just a slight difference where only a person with a trained ear could tell the difference then im not too worried about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you bridge the kenwood the distortion is .8%, combined with a weak damping factor(100) will result in sloppy sounding bass that you will have to listen to every time you turn on your system. Good advice would be to get the 500/1 incase you want to add another w3 later on, but the 250/1 will sound tight without any audible distorion. and your w3 will be happy

Closed Thread