Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Senior VIP to a Senior VIP, need some input

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Senior VIP to a Senior VIP, need some input

My brother let me borrow the truck for a little while today, and as I was riding down a dirt road, the subs made a weird noise (kinda like the subs went in and out several times to fast) then they cut off. The volume was up less than half way, and I set the gains at less than a half. He's running the Kenwood 729, it's 300 wrms @ 2 ohms (I think). So I stopped looked at the amp and noticed he has very thin speaker wires (less than 16 gauge), I jiggled the amp, made sure the wires were intact, and turned the cd player on and it worked fine until I got home (20 minutes), I turned it up louder to make sure it was fine and it never cut off. So I got home and asked my brother if it ever cuts off on him, and he said yes, quite a bit. So my question is, do you think it has anything to do with the speaker wires, this is the only thing I can think of. Anyone with an explanation as to what is happening?

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, my friend had a similar problem with his subs, but it turned out his terminals (edit - the box terminals) were faulty. If the wires were too thin, would they not just get hot, or the subs merely not be loud enough due to a smaller amount of current to them?
    Last edited by Mark_ab; 05-30-2002 at 11:34 PM.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

jlman is offline Review Committee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coule be but not likley. I have had experience with that amp and tends to get very hot at 2ohms for long periods of time and will do that cutting out probalem you described I am thinking this is your problem either that or there's some wires inside the box loose I would try running it at 4ohms see if that helps could also be ground and so many more things but sound like that amp did the same thing to me a few years back.

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, first thing I would do is make sure all the wires on every input are connected and not touching( insulation right to amp terminals, etc.) I would also try running the amp at 4 ohm's. The wires in the box attatched to the terminals or even the sub may have come loose...but if that happened its not to likley that they grew wings and re-connected themselves again. It shouldnt have anything to do with the small speaker wires...just make sure they are what the amp recommends.

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

bootleg is offline Got Adire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I'm not a senior member yet but I have experienced that before. First of all, what kind of power wire are you running and where have you grounded it? In mine the entire problem was that the connection had become corroded and wasn't getting much flow. I sudgest you go look at your power connections (also check for corrosion on the positive side of his battery) before you rip it all apart.

'94 Dodge Ram Std. Cab Sport Red

100' Sound Deading
    1/0 Power & Ground

Adire Audio 12" Shiva
    Custom Sealed Fiber-glass Box

'03 Spring Install:
    Clarion DXZ635MP
    US Acoustics USX2100
    US Acoustics USX2080
    ID & Adire Front Stage
    Adire Audio 12" Shiva Mk. III

Phatillusion is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bootleg, you named it, he had the amp grounded to the seat, I re-routed the ground so it would be grounded to the chassis and it works fine now. My brother hasn't had any problems with his Kenwood running hot at 2-ohms. I have the gain set at less than half. After I had made this post I asked my brother about the ground, and as soon as he told me, I knew it was the problem. He has also run into another problem, he has one of the bazookas blew. I think this will be his 5th blown bazooka, 2 were his fault, the other 3 were of natural defects or installation. One of the bazookas, the whole magnet structure fell off, pretty crazy, I mean the dang magnet just totally dropped off of the center pole piece. The guy at circuit city said he had never seen anything like that and couldn't figure out what happened. I'm assuming it had something to do with overpowering or a simple defect.

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    actuall,y it may ahve had something to do with the bazzooka, lol just buggin ya...

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am pretty sure I said it "could be the ground" LOL.

bootleg is offline Got Adire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heh, I have some friends that had Bazooka tubes that like to go around the parking lot at school and try to hang with us that have mounted subs. I tell you they have more return trips for their Bazooka tubes to be fixed/replaced than I do to the bathroom.

'94 Dodge Ram Std. Cab Sport Red

100' Sound Deading
    1/0 Power & Ground

Adire Audio 12" Shiva
    Custom Sealed Fiber-glass Box

'03 Spring Install:
    Clarion DXZ635MP
    US Acoustics USX2100
    US Acoustics USX2080
    ID & Adire Front Stage
    Adire Audio 12" Shiva Mk. III

Phatillusion is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry JLMan, I forgot I made this thread and I was in a hurry to update and let you all know what had happened. I thought someone else had said something about it, and I couldn't remember who, bootleg was the last one who had the post when I read it, so I just skimmed through the others and missed your post. Good Job

beastyle is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There should be a small light on the bottomleft side of that amp, its signed with the text "Protected or protection"

Check if its flashing, I saw a kenwood amp have the similar problem as you described and I dont know how (or if) he solved it but I do know he could tell by the protect light when it was going to happen, it blinked.. it kept blinking.. it flickered and the amp stopped

He had it with an interval of 1.5 hours...

peace & gl

Humanity my mirror,
    Madness what I see

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea well I will let it slid this time but next time its your a$$. LOL jk does'nt matter to me just messing around.

Closed Thread