Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Mono amplifier selection- Need some good advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mono amplifier selection- Need some good advice

Alright Ill keep it simple

I have a 1977 vw bus I have been tuning and modifying for 3 years. Its finally painted and system is going in. Need help selecting an amp(s)

55 amp alternator, may be a 70 amp, (encased in cooling housing, very tricky to get to, exactly like a 70's porsche 911 or 914 engine)

I have a decent blaupunkt austin reciever 50wx4 (i dont want an expensive one to get jacked* remember its a old vw, easy to break into)

running head unit to a set of audiobahn 5.25 component (the best ones they make 1 piece spun aluminum mini woofers and tweeters.)

now in the rear, I have a extremely rigid sealed fiberglass enclosure that comes molding out of the rear seat (sub is inverted outwards towards the rear at 45 degrees

sub is an audiobahn 1200q* once again decent 700 rms and 1400 max 2ohm stable

The box is spec to cubic in and ready to rock

I should be getting the stinger sp1000 battery in a few days
    will i need an aux battery too, or will this beast work fine as a primary batt

Do i need a cap, ive heard not, I dont want to fry my alternator yet, i need to drop the engne to get to it *sigh* but when that time comes itll be rewound

Ive researched alot, Id prefer not to draw 40 amps, more around 30amps max. I want to run as loud as i can safetly. Budget under 240$ Ill spend more for a Good amp, but need to get my porsche rotors next so my pockets are jingling
    the amp will be on a shelf under the rear seat behind thick plexi with cooling fans, no access to it, so a good amp aint a problem
    PPI? JL?Alpine?Kicker, Im looking for model specific not just the brands thanks
    Iheard JLaudio or JBL was best buck for a sealed box

look on ebay? heh
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    hope one of you guys can help
    Last edited by Germanlookt2; 08-03-2004 at 04:26 PM.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Mono amplifier selection- Need some good advice

hey, a fellow van driver...welcome

anyway, it's going to be tough to find an amp that does 700 watts RMS at 40 amps. Very tough. Most amps in that wattage range are going to be pulling 60-80 amps of current, easy.

Germanlookt2 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cool someone who can relate. Well audiobahn offers a a1502dp that puts out 600x1 rms at 2ohms and has a fuse rating at 30 amps, Its a class D and puts out a maximum 1800 watts, After hearing so much trash on audiobahn I am not sure if this is the best way to go. Seems odd that I cant find any good amps that can even be at 40 amps and put out comperable wattage. Any thoughts?

EFFENDI is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah you definely want something in a class D due to amperage concerns. nothing wrong with audiobahn if it is the only amp that fits your needs. let people hate on you for it. as long as you are happy who cares? and seriosly you drive a VW van? youre gonna get clowned no matter what..j/k ive owned abahn and have never had a bad experience.

References: rattlebrain, dabossofbosses, sampson, Netherland24, cjjackson85,cheeseburger85 abcheng, bumpin_beamer, BigRick31, AudioPLaya368

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

first of all, the maximum rating is mostly BS...so go by the RMS rating of 600x1 @ 2 ohms.

and seriosly you drive a VW van? youre gonna get clowned no matter what..j/k
    yeah, the VW's are where it all began...guys like me are just new school, hehe

EFFENDI is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ha ha, got pics?? i love seeing systems that are worth more than the cars they are installed in...its ghetto fab.

References: rattlebrain, dabossofbosses, sampson, Netherland24, cjjackson85,cheeseburger85 abcheng, bumpin_beamer, BigRick31, AudioPLaya368

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jokers, while your tryin to scrump some chick in your small cab or ricer, I have a whole van with a moonroof mind you

I got it back painted from the shop last week, I just threw the windows in.

here are some pics
    http://community.webshots.com/user/volkaholic

I have a site but its down for updates

bri487 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Germanlookt2
    Jokers, while your tryin to scrump some chick in your small cab or ricer, I have a whole van with a moonroof mind you

I got it back painted from the shop last week, I just threw the windows in.

here are some pics
    http://community.webshots.com/user/volkaholic

I have a site but its down for updates
    i hear ya there, small cars ****. i got a mustang, too small for late night lovin in the backseat. too small for riding in the back seat period.

ighettoboyi is offline Shot Caller

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i like your van's paintjob

it's easier to bone in the back of a civic than a mustang

that's why i have a maxima

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks.

Since most people on this site know their shiat, minus noobs, Id like to ask for opinions on power consumption, I realize that around 40% of the alternator is used usually for the charging system headlights etc. In the case that I have a 70 amp alternator that leaves me with 42 amps. My head unit probably wont be drawing too much over 10 amps. That should leave me with 30? Right. I have my eye on the ALPINE MRD-M301 mono class d amp. I figure that audiobahn will blow in a year or so i dont need to kill it fast even though it would be fun. This amp has a 40 amp fuse rating. This is where im starting to scratch my head. I want to drive around playing my system, not sitting in a parking lot, so i dont think that a good battery like an optima yellow top will solve the problem. Or am i wrong. My alternator cannot come out without dropping the engine. I may be repeating myself but somewhere this post got and stayed off track. Anyways. Since the fiberglass enclosure is made and I have a sub id like to have an amp. Should I get the cap, As a little support for the alternator. I dont want to fry my alternator, or ill have a nightmare on my hands. What should i do. is an amp that has a 40 amp fuse rating safe, 30? 20!?? Any one reccomend a particualar amp? Will 350x2ohms sound loud enough, Pretty much it comes down to this Sound quailty with most bass per amp. I heard the Jl audio would also sound real good, any opinions on either?

Oh I was planning on spending around 250 for an amp
    Last edited by Germanlookt2; 08-06-2004 at 01:18 PM.

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon7 Re: Mono amplifier selection- Need some good advice

if you get a cap, from what i heard, you WILL fry your alt. imagine trying to re-charge the battery every time your sub hits. thats not good for the alt to be constantly at full power. period. if you just use the battery - its more of a constant lower current, instead of a full 70 amps it can run.

i would strongly recommend dropping the engine and eaither get your alt re-wired or get a new alt and dont waste $240 on a crappy low wattage amp.

spend the time to upgrade the alt (its inevitable right?) and use that $240 for a hifonix 1500bx, directed 1100d, or that jbl 1200.1 even. ive heard good things about them! then and bump that audiobahn into the floor instead of having your car not turn on in some parking lot in 2 months because your alt died... thats no fun. trust me, i know from expierence. my cavaliers alt died when i got it. that ****** bigtime cuz i was 1 hour away from home.

its your call man. just dont want ya to waste money if you are gonna have to do it in the future right?

think long and hard weather spending the extra money is worth it to you. myself, i would upgrade the alt. but its your pimped ride, and you should have done this before your ride went to the paint so you could have it ready when it came back in my oppinion =P

good luck with your choice.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

www.trax.to/addict

deres the site

There are links to the fiberglass enclosure, kinda working pics, i have yet to upload the new box

GermanLook 1977 VW bus...saving for the engine thatll do that 3k
    Head unit: Blaupunkt CD41
    Front Components: Audiobahn One piece spun aluminum mini woofers with silk dome tweeters and custom kickpanel mounted crossovers.
    Sub: Audiobahn a1200q
    Amp: 350watt toshiba BAH! TRASH!
    Custom Sealed Fiberglass shell enclosure 1.25cu Ft
    Stinger 4gauge wiring throughout w/ dual alternator cooling upgraded 70amp w/optima yellowtop
    4th Gen 20 G IPOD dash molded glass dock in the works
    upcoming >> alpine mrd-m501, Bquiet/peel n seal, 8.5in. drop
    Addicted.
    Germanlook.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

rockford punch p6001.

jonathan

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks req, Im lookin into getting it rewound at a local alternator shop, I Can get it out its just a ****** to get to, Any thoughts on how much I should have it put out? Im assuming its a 55 amp, Is there usually a maximum amp output that a smaller amp can be rewound? Or will 100amps be good enough to run a jl audio 500/1 and maybe a 4 channel later for the components.
    Last edited by Germanlookt2; 08-07-2004 at 12:16 AM.

GermanLook 1977 VW bus...saving for the engine thatll do that 3k
    Head unit: Blaupunkt CD41
    Front Components: Audiobahn One piece spun aluminum mini woofers with silk dome tweeters and custom kickpanel mounted crossovers.
    Sub: Audiobahn a1200q
    Amp: 350watt toshiba BAH! TRASH!
    Custom Sealed Fiberglass shell enclosure 1.25cu Ft
    Stinger 4gauge wiring throughout w/ dual alternator cooling upgraded 70amp w/optima yellowtop
    4th Gen 20 G IPOD dash molded glass dock in the works
    upcoming >> alpine mrd-m501, Bquiet/peel n seal, 8.5in. drop
    Addicted.
    Germanlook.com

sumone is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the hifonics nx750d I just bought does 750rms x 1 @ 1ohm with a 60amp fuse

best sig of all time

Closed Thread