Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Under-rated WRMS is it just bull

really****loud is offline Death by Cyclone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under-rated WRMS is it just bull

The reason I ask is if you do RMS output rating, its useless unless you know the amps buffer output voltage to its amplifing stage. Then you can do the calulation. Also Manifacturer A may use a sine wave to calulate WRMS output, which is at 75% of its peak to peak value. Manifacturer B may use a complex wave to calulate WRMS output, which is at 50% of its peak to peak. The thing is neither is wrong in its calulations, but Manifacturer B (complex wave to calulate WRMS output, which is at 50% of its peak to peak) may then say its underated, misleading the public by showing a birth cert with a WRMS done with a sine wave which will show anything from a 15-25% increase in power, but in actual fact is the same? I may be wrong but I don't think so! Anyone with any knowledge on this matter please set me straight or confirm what I have written.CHEERS

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Under-rated WRMS is it just bull

I think some manufacturers underate their amps to perhaps offer the consumer at least rated wattage at lower voltage (12.5v)street apllication since most are rated to do so at 14.4v

regardless of company though, YOU WILL NEVER ACTUALLY SEE that wattage in your car on a stock alternator- Its a numbers game.....

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    regardless of company though, YOU WILL NEVER ACTUALLY SEE that wattage in your car on a stock alternator- Its a numbers game.....
    You will never see that wattage during actual music either.

But I think some companies intentionally set out to "deceive" the consumer. For instance, intentionally and consciously building a 100w RMS amp, but then "labeling" it a 50w RMS amp just so people will look at it and go "wow, look at how underrated this amp is." And ofcourse the birthsheet shows some number that is WAY higher than the "rated" wattage. Those Pioneer Premier amps come to mind.....I'm sorry, but nobody (especially Pioneer) overbuilds an amp THAT much to cause it's true output to be 200% higher than rated. They started off by building a higher powered amp, then released it as a lower "rated" wattage and sent a birthsheet with it so ppl would go

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^^Another thing squeek , amps dont necessarily double they're output @ 2ohms,
    more like 60/40......so your average amp rated @ 100rms X2 @4ohms/200x 2 @2ohms is actually underated @ 4ohms putting well over 100rms- this is due to the difference in efficiency between the two loads- alot of people dont know that- ratings can be deceiving

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

`pr0digy is offline - turbobricks.com -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    You will never see that wattage during actual music either.

But I think some companies intentionally set out to "deceive" the consumer. For instance, intentionally and consciously building a 100w RMS amp, but then "labeling" it a 50w RMS amp just so people will look at it and go "wow, look at how underrated this amp is." And ofcourse the birthsheet shows some number that is WAY higher than the "rated" wattage. Those Pioneer Premier amps come to mind.....I'm sorry, but nobody (especially Pioneer) overbuilds an amp THAT much to cause it's true output to be 200% higher than rated. They started off by building a higher powered amp, then released it as a lower "rated" wattage and sent a birthsheet with it so ppl would go
    Sounds like processors and overclocking... Both AMD and Intel built lots of the higher speed chips, and if they needed some lower speed chips, they'd just take the high speed ones and "neuter" them. So instead of being an amp they purposely underrate for acclaim, it could just be that they had extra higher powered amps.
    Hopefully what I wrote makes sense :p

HU: Apline 9815
    Sub: Image Dynamics 12 v3 @ ~ 28 hz
    Sub Amp: eD NiNe.1
    Comps: Looking towards ID CTX65cs
    Comp Amp: Needed! Got 150w x2 @ 4 ohms to sell ?

drkodin is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by `pr0digy
    Sounds like processors and overclocking... Both AMD and Intel built lots of the higher speed chips, and if they needed some lower speed chips, they'd just take the high speed ones and "neuter" them. So instead of being an amp they purposely underrate for acclaim, it could just be that they had extra higher powered amps.
    Hopefully what I wrote makes sense :p
    actually intel and amd do a bit worse than that lol. intel's P4 3GHz chip is actually the only one they try and produce, but it is hard to get the processor prefect so all the rejects that don't make rated power are sold as lower models . a good idea actually, but if you own a 2.3GHz chip it is actually a reject 3GHz, but it still works well so i guess it is ok.

basicly intel just recycles, not handicapping the higher model.

Closed Thread