Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Directed 1100D Amp is over heating?

Tupac2413 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Directed 1100D Amp is over heating?

I have two 12 inch rockford hx2 subs and a directed 1100d amp i have them bridged into 1 ohm and the amp is supposed to handle 1 ohm easily its a good amp but when i turned my car on today after going into the store real quick my amp went into protection mode and i went back there and it was hotter than hell from when i was playing my system before i went into the store. My amp is mounted on the back of my seat and its never done this before ive always had my gain all the way up because the amp had no problem but i did change the frequency on the amp all the way down a couple days ago im wondering if it could be speaker wiring problems like if the wires are touching or could it have anything to do with my deck its an after market deck its one of the new sony ones i got it about 3 months ago but it never over heatied til today so i dont know i checked all the amp wiring and its perfect so could it be loose speaker wiring or my deck or the low frequency?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Directed 1100D Amp is over heating?

I would turn the gain down to half or 3/4 just better for the amp. And get some small DC fans for that amps they help out big time. Frequency shouldnt make that big of a difference. It may be wire in contact with frame or on the power side going to the amp or even remote wire grounding somewhere.

drkodin is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tupac2413
    I have two 12 inch rockford hx2 subs and a directed 1100d amp i have them bridged into 1 ohm and the amp is supposed to handle 1 ohm easily its a good amp but when i turned my car on today after going into the store real quick my amp went into protection mode and i went back there and it was hotter than hell from when i was playing my system before i went into the store. My amp is mounted on the back of my seat and its never done this before ive always had my gain all the way up because the amp had no problem but i did change the frequency on the amp all the way down a couple days ago im wondering if it could be speaker wiring problems like if the wires are touching or could it have anything to do with my deck its an after market deck its one of the new sony ones i got it about 3 months ago but it never over heatied til today so i dont know i checked all the amp wiring and its perfect so could it be loose speaker wiring or my deck or the low frequency?
    the gain is NOT A VOLUME KNOB!!! for most after market head units it should be no higher than 3/4, usually only at 1/2 with all bass boosts turned down. By having the gain so high you are actually producing a distorted signal more than likely in the range of 1500W or so which is much more than the amp can handle and is why it is shutting off.

you may not have noticed it before because dei amps are built like tanks and can take a lot of abuse, but it is summer and a LOT hotter outside than it has been in the past. turn down the gain just to protect your amp, you will loose output but you will just have to deal with it.

you also mentioned that you turned down the freq. this is a setting that should be somewhere in the range of 70-90Hz depending on the rest of the car's setup, make sure it is in this range for the best sound quality.

Tupac2413 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i bought some fans and im wondering do i just hook up the red wire to the remote wire on the amp and the black wire to the ground? Also i have had this amp for a year so i had it last summer and it didnt do this ...

Closed Thread