Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reload Thread: tube amp question

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: tube amp question

They call it a damper and the only mftr I could find was Ensemble, and they call theirs tubesox. Apparently stereophile rated it top notch.

*shrugs*

I'd translate what it's SUPPOSED to do, but it seems way out there.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Put on Ensemble TUBESOX-TI and hear the promise of your vacuum tube equipment fulfilled at last.

Experience a more open, deeper soundstage that is more tightly focused. Enjoy your music with greatly enhanced transparency, integration and palpability, with overtones and timbres all coming to shine in
    a new way. With the TUBESOX-TI in place, microphony in audio preamplification tubes is a thing of the past. For the first time you can hear the full, unrestricted quality performed by such audio tubes as the ECC81 (12AT7), ECC83 (12AX7), 6DJ8 and the like.

Made of heat-resistant Kevlar and copper thread the TUBESOX-TI dampers efficiently suppress resonant energy and act as a uniform heat-dissipating jacket. Fitted with a thermo-indicator, red stripes appear above ~45C (~115F) operating temperature. Ensemble TUBESOX-TI are not only easy to slide on but they adapt themselves to diameters varying between 17.5 and 22.5 mm (11/16" and 7/8"). A slight pull at both ends will make them fit tight.

IMPORTANT: Remember to unplug your equipment from the mains before putting the TUBESOX on.
    To give the sonic improvements the TUBESOX can have their full impact, Ensemble CABLES, known for their natural, ie neutral sound quality, are an obvious choice.
    Kevlar and copper threads woven into sock-like sheaths, thermal indicator.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So, apparently it's a device to suppress microphonics from tubes. OK, I can see the argument for it (whether or not it actually works is another) - but if you bought good quality tubes in the first place, the microphonics wouldn't be there

Cheap tubes like Chinese 12AX7's are notorious for going microphonic really quickly; better to spend a little extra on JAN-Philips or Sylvania tubes and not have to worry about that.

desertheat is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

exactly, I have seen another version of those that are like rings with 3 dampers that touch the tube... My bud tried them on his preamp and told me it sounded like crap afterwords. I did not get to hear them but they went in the trash. Also x2, spend the cash and get a good set of tubes.

www.garage1217.com is a good place to get raw leds & parts for custom vehicle lighting!

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    Cheap tubes like Chinese 12AX7's are notorious for going microphonic really quickly; better to spend a little extra on JAN-Philips or Sylvania tubes and not have to worry about that.
    What about Telefunken, Tungsram, and Amperex? I'm sure you wouldn't have to worry about Mullard?

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

speaking of tubes, i was searching the net for some info about replacement KT88's.. and saw most of it was in the $100~200 range...

then I see this so called super tube or something, and cost $1G.
    Question is, is it worth the upgrade? I dunno which tubes my jadis uses, but I would like to try experimenting with different tubes to see what audible results can be had from it.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

then I see this so called super tube or something, and cost $1G.
    Genelex KT88's? Those British-made tubes are pretty much the best you can get for that type. The Decware forums at: http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi have some really knowledge people that could be a big help when you want to swap tubes.

What about Telefunken, Tungsram, and Amperex? I'm sure you wouldn't have to worry about Mullard?
    Well, those are better I was just mentioning some better lower-priced options.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6