Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: tube amp question

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: tube amp question

Any changes that a tube amp (or any piece of equipment) makes to the original signal is distortion.....be it warmth, "buttery rolloff", etc etc. If it wasn't part of the original signal, then it's distortion. Now, whether or not someone interprets this distortion as pleasant and/or something they enjoy, so be it
    I wasn't debating that I know full well that a SET or even ultra-linear P-P's operate somewhere near 5% THD...although even/lower order harmonic distortion is more pleasant to the ear than higher order odd harmonics.

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Somehow I feel that there is and probably will never be an amp that can reproduce exactly. Surely, within all those parts I'm sure SOMETHING'S gotta give somewhere.

Oh, and I've not had much comparison, but I'm sure as most say, speakers themselves have more distortion and whatnot than amps.

It's just so hard to really make an EXACT comparison, watt for watt. At least at home I feel it's hard.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

speakers themselves have more distortion and whatnot than amps.
    Yeah, no matter how good the amplification gets, the transducer is always going to be the weakest link...

I listen to a lot of classic rock (ok, maybe a lot is an understatement, i mean, look at my avatar) and those guys weren't always concerned about THD when pushing their (tube, might I add ) Fenders, Gibsons and Marshalls into harmonic neverland...

Both SS and tubes have their benefits; which is why I own both, heh.

desertheat is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I might want to add that the nice "what you call distortion" from a tube amp helps recreate what allot of people eq in or try to build speakers to mimic because there solid state amps are to harsh sounding and flat, I myself am a tube guy, will never go back If you had everything set to flat, speakers that played 20-20K flat and an amp that also played 20-20K flat, it would sound like @ss. Changes from digital to what comes out the drivers are key to pleasing the ears...

www.garage1217.com is a good place to get raw leds & parts for custom vehicle lighting!

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    pushing their (tube, might I add ) Fenders, Gibsons and Marshalls

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

let's stop calling it distortion or coloration and go back to "warmth". hehe

Jack, what's your opinion about tube "jackets"? Think they do anything to help?

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not exactly sure what you mean by "jackets"...do you mean those little adapters to convert larger pentodes (6L6's, EL34's, 6V6's) to smaller pentodes like EL84's or 6BQ5's?

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paikiah
    let's stop calling it distortion or coloration and go back to "warmth". hehe
    Why? If it adds something that wasn't part of the original signal, it's still distortion You may like it, that I won't debate......

and those guys weren't always concerned about THD when pushing their (tube, might I add ) Fenders, Gibsons and Marshalls into harmonic neverland...
    As audiolife was saying.....that's the difference between production of music and reproduction of music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why? If it adds something that wasn't part of the original signal, it's still distortion
    and a lot of people, I bet, wouldn't like to listen to a system that measures perfectly flat on an RTA

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and a lot of people, I bet, wouldn't like to listen to a system that measures perfectly flat on an RTA

Show me a song that was recorded perfectly flat.........I never said anything about it having to be a "flat" response......simply that if something wasn't part of the original signal, it's still distortion

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

show me a system and a recording that is perfectly flat on anything or everything. its not the amps job to make it flat to begin with. if you want flat you eq it to that not "amp it" besides that by saying this you are totally neglecting the speakers and the environment in which they work in and play........ and on the recording side you are saying all recordings are flat?

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So ... you guys prefer the sound of Yugoslavian, Russian, Slovakian, or Chinese tubes?

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Depends on the tube.

Old-stock Yugoslavian pentodes probably sound the best out of the ones you listed...but some of the newer Russian EL34's coming out of Svetlana's St. Petersburg plant sound pretty good as well. New production from JJ/Tesla (Yugoslavian) are nice.

My personal favorite? British (Mullard) or American (RCA) for rectifiers, Philips for signal/preamp tubes. One of these days I'll get a Mullard 6DJ8 to try out...

Chinese tubes are generally junk...with very few exceptions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jackets..like insulators, they sell them here, but I dunno the function or benefit(s) of the insulating jacket.

I dunno what difference the tubesthemselves will have, but I do prefer the sounds of my DA50 (with the KT88 tubes) than the older simply four (with the EL34, i THINK that's the tube). Then again, their power output is different, so that might be a larger conribution.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I dunno what difference the tubesthemselves will have, but I do prefer the sounds of my DA50 (with the KT88 tubes) than the older simply four (with the EL34, i THINK that's the tube).
    The tubes themselves play a pretty big role...cheaper tubes will go "microphonic" (pick up noise and vibration from outside sources) quicker or simply just not sound as good or be as reliable.

Preamp/signal tubes will make a bigger difference in the sound than power tubes.

I've never seen the insulating jackets you mentioned, so maybe they're not as common here in the States as they are over there.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast