+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need suggestions for a good, cheap amp for two Rockford Fosgate r2d4-10's.

gnomie45 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need suggestions for a good, cheap amp for two Rockford Fosgate r2d4-10's.

My issue is in the title. I need a recommendation for an amp for those subs. I have 200 dollars to work with because my dad is paying for it. I have a decent head unit lying around to use temporarily at least. I plan on upgrading my rear 6x9s and head unit later. Just want something cheap to get me by with the sub's along with the wiring kit. I found the sub's for 50 bucks each, along with around 35 bucks for the wiring. I plan on building a box myself (sealed in one separated enclosure measured at 32*14*14). Doesn't have to max them out, because I want sound quality, not mind numbing bass. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gnomie45; 05-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Spl4200 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need suggestions for a good, cheap amp for two Rockford Fosgate r2d4-10's.

New or used?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New on amazon.com. yeah like 60- 70 bucks is all I am able to spend for now.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say amazon.com because i want to order everything at once, and Amazon's customer support has always been amazing for me. Also, I read some where that anything from about 400 to 750 watts should be able to work with those sub's. Is that correct?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now before I get flamed for saying this, I wanna say, people have written quite a few reviews of this specific amp saying that it worked well for them. I found an 800 watt lanzar amp that is fairly cheap, and it has some pretty good reviews on amazon. I know its not the best out there, but I do need it to be cheap. Should I take a chance on it? My only other option I have seen is a boss amp so...

jeffdachef is online now I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gnomie45 View Post
    Now before I get flamed for saying this, I wanna say, people have written quite a few reviews of this specific amp saying that it worked well for them. I found an 800 watt lanzar amp that is fairly cheap, and it has some pretty good reviews on amazon. I know its not the best out there, but I do need it to be cheap. Should I take a chance on it? My only other option I have seen is a boss amp so...
    lanzar, boss, pyle, pyramid, power accoustik etc are junk brands, may work for a bit, but will pretty much end up as a door step ranging from immediate failure to 2 months after your purchase. their so called 800 watts is only around 100-150 actual watts. Might want to show your dad this post and convince him that with car audio and everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Increase that budget to 100 and you can get a solid working amp for years to come(granted there's no user error involved)

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if they are that bad what do you suggest I do? I need to know what kind of amp will get enough power to the sub's cleanly and no more than 70 bucks, if that's possible. I had a dual 400 watt amp pushing two older subs in my old truck for a year at least and it is still going strong. Would dual be a good brand at least? Or is that just a special case or something? And would 400 watts be enough to push the sub's and have them sound good?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have found a Dual audio amp (XPA4640) that is 600 watts and has everything I was hoping to get in the amp for 82 bucks. I haven't actually found a single bad review for the amp, and I am thinking I might be able to convince my dad to got the extra few bucks for it. Anybody see any problems with it? O know it isn't a top brand, but it seems to be working great for anyone who has owned one, and it is from amazon.com, so it will have great customer.er support if it does fail within a few months.

argenis69 is offline SQ Bass Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Check for something used in good conditions or save more money to get something that's worth it, those brands you have mentioned are no good and you'll end up spending more because of failure.

02 Nissan Maxima
    HU JVC KW-AV61BT.
    Front stage Image Dynamics 6.5 CX62 V2. Rear stage O2 Audio 5 1/4in.
    Cadence Tweeters. KnuKonceptz Rcas and Wiring.
    Kicker Impulse x3i 3-way Active Electronic Crossover(disconnected for now).
    JL Audio 300/4 . Crescendo BC3500D.
    15" Fi Audio SP4 fully loaded in 3.5cu ft flared ported box.
    200 amp HO Alt. One complete +/- run of Knu Ofc 0 gauge with big 3, volt meter inside, biggest acid battery under hood, Battery Isolator. A XS Power D3100 and a Crescendo Logic F-31HP battery in trunk.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about a Kenwood kac-8405? I will have to find another way to get my amp wiring kit, but it seems like a good amp. 106 bucks on amazon.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just so you know, I really want to keep it under 200 total because of the fact that my dad already paid for the civic that all of this is going in, so I don't fell like I should be asking him to give me an even bigger budget for this ya know?

Dmac1991 is offline '12 Focus Bangin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

with a $70 budget, that's trash territory unless you find something used.

If you can up that budget ~100, you can get a MB Quart Onyx 500.1, 500 rms at 1 ohm

Got LOWZ?!

Ampere Audio 2k
    2 Awg Welding Cable
    1 Tantric HD 12
    Dcarcustoms 2.5cf Octo-ported tuned to 30hz

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1029894 = Feedback

skippy90210 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wouldnt a hifonics amp be decent for the price? he could get a used one of them

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I really like the look of the Kenwood amp. I will just have to get the wiring kit myself. Now what I need to know is if you think that my 1997 Honda civic standard battery will be able to power that amp. I am a little worried because it is a very small battery.

jeffdachef is online now I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gnomie45 View Post
    I think I really like the look of the Kenwood amp. I will just have to get the wiring kit myself. Now what I need to know is if you think that my 1997 Honda civic standard battery will be able to power that amp. I am a little worried because it is a very small battery.
    FYI, The number you should be looking for when shopping is the RMS(root mean squared) number which is continuous power AKA the actual power rating not 800 watts or 800 peak watts, thats normally a sign of garbage when they dont post RMS rating.

Just to let you know that kenwood amp is for speakers not subs. However, those rockford subs need 50-250 watts rms to work, so technically the kenwood will power them enough for them to bump if you bridge it However, its not recommended because if you bridge a 4 channel amp, one sub will take two channels and the other sub will take the other two channels. Your subs individually only have a wiring choice of 2 ohm or 8 ohms and thats not good. The 4 channel amp when bridged does 150 rms X2 at 4 ohms. that means the amp becomes unstable at 2 ohm wiring and the amp will make a lot less power if wired at 8 ohms.

For subs, look for a monoblock amp that is 1 ohm stable. Since you have 2 D4, you can wire them to the monoblock for 1 ohm impedance or 4 ohm impedance.

Other choice would be a 2 channel amp that is stable at 2 ohms and wiring the subs down to 2 ohms each and each sub gets its own channel.

These are options that are more stable with your wiring and would provide a bit more power. Both are great amps.

Pioneer GM-A5602 GM Series 450W 2-Channel Car Amplifier

Precision Power i650.1 iON Series 650W Monoblock Class-D Amplifier for a monoblock

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast