+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Smoke coming from amp?!

Dwayne614 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smoke coming from amp?!

I have a single kicker CVR 12 in a ported box with a SPL 1200w amp, I just completed instillation yesterday and today I was listening to music and then my amp was cutting in and out then I smelled smoke in my car so I opened my trunk and I noticed the black rubber from the ground on the amp was melting and smoke started coming from my amp, help!! I'm thinking it's just the rubber melting that covers the gold spade connector? Also my copper wire on the ground turned black/sliver color, any help would be appreciated and the amp still powers on and works, thanks

Beatin' is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Smoke coming from amp?!

You're uneducated, that's why this happened to you.

You have a crap amp, and what appears to be an even crappier wiring kit. How did you tune the amp? You do realize that amp can't EVER do rated power right?

For the other forum members, this is why I dislike guys like hispls who say "tune your amp by ear" or some other silly shit. Then you wonder why threads like this pop up.

All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,
    cause my trunk always hittin'!

creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

michaellane is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post

You have a crap amp, and what appears to be an even crappier wiring kit. How did you tune the amp? You do realize that amp can't EVER do rated power right?

For the other forum members, this is why I dislike guys like hispls who say "tune your amp by ear" or some other silly shit. Then you wonder why threads like this pop up.
    if you know what youre doing then doing it by ear is fine. But for someone like the OP that would be a issue.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

LOL. Implying his flea market amp is catching fire because of how he set his gains. Implying that a guy who will pay 79.95 for a "2000W" amp is going to shell out 180$ for a magical Steve Meade box or 500$ for an O-Scope. Have you ever seen the impedance graph of a loudspeaker? In a box? I think you're just mad and trying to justify the purchase of some utterly useless and overpriced snake oil.

OP. Either you have a poor connection on that ground cable or the amp is burning up because it's cheap Chinese junk and has some internal fault.... possibly both.

5. Likes fatboytyler, Rich B, michaellane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

excuse you? I never mentioned the "magical steve meade box" lol. A DMM is priceless. Yes I am versed in the impedance shifts with subs in free air and in boxes. Tuning with a DMM assumes the lowest possible impedance as a reference point. From what I understand, the output voltage is always fixed. When the sub shows the amp a different average impedance due to the subs reactive nature at a particular frequency, the output amperage changes, not the voltage. So the AC voltage setting on a DMM is an excellent way to tune an amplifier.

All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,

creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

Freeman is offline I TrY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

well thats not good

1986 Nissan hardbody
    Hu:Kenwood Kmm-100u
    front:1 Cheep Kenwood speaker.
    Rear:the 3in of room behind my seat where my amp sits
    Sub:soon
    Amp:polk pa330
    Wiring:1/0 knu kca to 4gauge distribution block and 1/0 kca big 3

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    LOL. Implying his flea market amp is catching fire because of how he set his gains. Implying that a guy who will pay 79.95 for a "2000W" amp is going to shell out 180$ for a magical Steve Meade box or 500$ for an O-Scope. Have you ever seen the impedance graph of a loudspeaker? In a box? I think you're just mad and trying to justify the purchase of some utterly useless and overpriced snake oil.

OP. Either you have a poor connection on that ground cable or the amp is burning up because it's cheap Chinese junk and has some internal fault.... possibly both.
    Thank you for giving me a reasonable response and not being a d*ck like the other guy. This is my first setup and I know pretty much everything there is to know about all of this and I refuse to shell out $300+ for an amplifier when i can hit up Craigslist and get a super deal. Aslong as the amp does its job then I'm fine, atleast it's not boss audio or sony xplod..

9. Likes Nutdawg651, serjr711. liked this post
    Nutdawg651 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Lmfao you two go at it all the time!

11. Likes Freeman, Jes 42, michaellane liked this post
    Jes 42 is offline karma!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne614 View Post
    I have a single kicker CVR 12 in a ported box with a SPL 1200w amp, I just completed instillation yesterday and today I was listening to music and then my amp was cutting in and out then I smelled smoke in my car so I opened my trunk and I noticed the black rubber from the ground on the amp was melting and smoke started coming from my amp, help!! I'm thinking it's just the rubber melting that covers the gold spade connector? Also my copper wire on the ground turned black/sliver color, any help would be appreciated and the amp still powers on and works, thanks
    Shoot west down I-70 about 2 hrs and i'll sell ya a quality setup bro.Hook it up and all for a nominal fee of course.

Kenwood x996
    Punch 501x
    4 Prv 6.5's-Bazooka Euphonic tweets
    18'' T3 TSNS
    Crunch GP3000D
    4 Runs of 1/0 welding wire..NRG Custom terminals
    300 amp Ohio Gen alt
    2 CS9000 batts

13. Likes serjr711. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thank you for giving me a reasonable response and not being a d*ck like the other guy. This is my first setup and I know pretty much everything there is to know about all of this and I refuse to shell out $300+ for an amplifier when i can hit up Craigslist and get a super deal. Aslong as the amp does its job then I'm fine, atleast it's not boss audio or sony xplod..
    Yeah that's why your crap flea market brand amp is on fire, because you know "everything there is to know about all of this". Enjoy your super deal.

Oh and compared to what you have, you wish you had a Sony Xplod amp.

All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,

15. Likes Freeman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yeah that's why your crap flea market brand amp is on fire, because you know "everything there is to know about all of this". Enjoy your super deal.

Im sorry op ..... But rotfl this dude is a beast lmfao

17. Likes drockstar liked this post
    michaellane is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nutdawg651 View Post
    Lmfao you two go at it all the time!
    Ima post a thread who is smarter out of these 2

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

19. Likes fatboytyler liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    Ima post a thread who is smarter out of these 2
    Lmfao!

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

excuse you? I never mentioned the "magical steve meade box" lol. A DMM is priceless. Yes I am versed in the impedance shifts with subs in free air and in boxes. Tuning with a DMM assumes the lowest possible impedance as a reference point. From what I understand, the output voltage is always fixed. When the sub shows the amp a different average impedance due to the subs reactive nature at a particular frequency, the output amperage changes, not the voltage. So the
    AC voltage setting on a DMM is an excellent way to tune an amplifier.
    So let's assume that OP uses Ohm's law to calculate what voltage it should take for that amp to make the "rated" 2000W into his nominal impedance. Then what? Which method do you think would blow it up faster, backing off a click of the volume knob when it starts to audibly distort or trying to turn up the gain until he sees 45V?

Naught for nothing, but if your amp is on fire you don't know everything, and if you don't really know what you're looking for, you should probably avoid "deals" on electronics to avoid problems like this. There's 100 junk brands out there. As people catch on to poor quality and untruthful claims these companies simply slap a different brand name on things, change the heatsink and fool a new round of suckers who believe that they're going to get something for nothing.

Best to verify that the gound is firmly connected to the amp, the terminals are well secured, and you have selected a good spot on the frame of the vehicle and sanded it down shiny to connect the other end. If you have verified your ground is good there's a problem with your amp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool story bro, I bet you get a kick out of trying to put people down over the internet but deep down inside you live a sad lonely life. Obviously idgaf what brand amp I have just being cheap..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast