User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Reload Thread: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

  1. #16
    heimsothe's Avatar
    heimsothe is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    The versatility of it, and peace of mind. You will catch much less flak using a PAC LC1 than you will a bass knob, too.
    When you say bass knob do you mean bass boost knob? Because the Alpine Knob adjusts gain according Sonic Electronix, not a bass boost knob. I'm not downing on either I just see more convenience using the alpine knob for an alpine amp because it plugs into a designated connection for a knob. If I were using any other amp I would see the PAC LC1 being the best option, but I am using alpine and will be using this amp for quite some time. Unless there is an actual difference in what the Alpine knob controls vs what the PAC knob controls? If I've read right, they both are gain knobs.







  2. #17
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by heimsothe View Post
    When you say bass knob do you mean bass boost knob? Because the Alpine Knob adjusts gain according Sonic Electronix, not a bass boost knob. I'm not downing on either I just see more convenience using the alpine knob for an alpine amp because it plugs into a designated connection for a knob. If I were using any other amp I would see the PAC LC1 being the best option, but I am using alpine and will be using this amp for quite some time. Unless there is an actual difference in what the Alpine knob controls vs what the PAC knob controls? If I've read right, they both are gain knobs.
    The Alpine knob adjusts the gain, the PAC adjusts the RCA level. Plus, if/when you change amps, you can use the PAC on it, too.

    ---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by heimsothe View Post
    When you say bass knob do you mean bass boost knob? Because the Alpine Knob adjusts gain according Sonic Electronix, not a bass boost knob. I'm not downing on either I just see more convenience using the alpine knob for an alpine amp because it plugs into a designated connection for a knob. If I were using any other amp I would see the PAC LC1 being the best option, but I am using alpine and will be using this amp for quite some time. Unless there is an actual difference in what the Alpine knob controls vs what the PAC knob controls? If I've read right, they both are gain knobs.
    Not to mention it's half the price.



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  3. Thanks heimsothe thanked for this post
  4. #18
    heimsothe's Avatar
    heimsothe is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    The Alpine knob adjusts the gain, the PAC adjusts the RCA level. Plus, if/when you change amps, you can use the PAC on it, too.

    ---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------



    Not to mention it's half the price.
    Ohhhh okay, so changing RCA levels would be the better option and thing to do? Does changing rca levels also work in the way gain does in the sense that if I turn it up above what it is set to I risk clipping and distortion? I only plan on using the knob to turn down the sub levels but I wanted to ask anyways....




  5. #19
    WhatsAminiTruck's Avatar
    WhatsAminiTruck is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    STL Missouruh
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    What's tthe difference between gain and RCA level?
    Never even heard of RCA level...



    Current: 240amp Mechman Alt, Yellowtop in the back, Two SA-6.5s and two tweets in each door powered by an LA-4200, Two Sundown SA-12s in a prefab powered by an SAZ-1500.

    http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178898-vehicle-dodge-dakota-1996/
    ^my ride


  6. Likes heimsothe liked this post
  7. #20
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsAminiTruck View Post
    What's tthe difference between gain and RCA level?
    Never even heard of RCA level...
    If what I have learned is correct, the gain is basically just a sensitivity knob. The higher you turn it up, the more sensitive the amp is. Instead of adjusting how sensitive the amp is, why not adjust the actual level of the incoming signal like a volume knob on a head unit?

    Analogy: It makes more sense to put a governer on the intake of a racecar than constantly holding the brakes lightly.



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  8. #21
    heimsothe's Avatar
    heimsothe is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsAminiTruck View Post
    What's tthe difference between gain and RCA level?
    Never even heard of RCA level...
    Yeah I sorta second that...




  9. #22
    heimsothe's Avatar
    heimsothe is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    If what I have learned is correct, the gain is basically just a sensitivity knob. The higher you turn it up, the more sensitive the amp is. Instead of adjusting how sensitive the amp is, why not adjust the actual level of the incoming signal like a volume knob on a head unit?

    Analogy: It makes more sense to put a governer on the intake of a racecar than constantly holding the brakes lightly.
    And so like a volume knob on an HU, turning up an RCA levels knob can still cause distortion and clipping? Correct?




  10. #23
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by heimsothe View Post
    Yeah I sorta second that...
    When playing music, you don't turn the gain knob up or down on the amp to adjust the volume. You adjust the level at the source. Either way can work, but it just makes more sense to adjust the source level.



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  11. Thanks heimsothe thanked for this post
  12. #24
    heimsothe's Avatar
    heimsothe is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    When playing music, you don't turn the gain knob up or down on the amp to adjust the volume. You adjust the level at the source. Either way can work, but it just makes more sense to adjust the source level.
    Thanks man, I'll go with the rca levels knob then! You've been a huge help!




  13. #25
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by heimsothe View Post
    And so like a volume knob on an HU, turning up an RCA levels knob can still cause distortion and clipping? Correct?
    Yes, which is why you set the gains the same way you would with the bass knob. Find the point your head unit clips, turn the PAC all the way up, then adjust the gain on the amp to the desired setting.



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  14. #26
    Beatin''s Avatar
    Beatin' is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    man get a damn HU with a knob.......jeez.



    All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,
    cause my trunk always hittin'!

    creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

  15. #27
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by heimsothe View Post
    Thanks man, I'll go with the rca levels knob then! You've been a huge help!
    Lol I hope after clarification everything makes sense



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  16. #28
    heimsothe's Avatar
    heimsothe is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    Yes, which is why you set the gains the same way you would with the bass knob. Find the point your head unit clips, turn the PAC all the way up, then adjust the gain on the amp to the desired setting.
    Okay don't mean to look silly, but that is the same method you told me earlier right? Set HU to level where it distorts (usually 3/4 on pioneers I've heard), turn knob to max and plug in, then set amp gain?




  17. Likes jrdnhsnbrg liked this post
  18. #29
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Quote Originally Posted by heimsothe View Post
    Okay don't mean to look silly, but that is the same method you told me earlier right? Set HU to level where it distorts (usually 3/4 on pioneers I've heard), turn knob to max and plug in, then set amp gain?
    Exactly



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  19. Thanks heimsothe thanked for this post
  20. #30
    WhatsAminiTruck's Avatar
    WhatsAminiTruck is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    STL Missouruh
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

    Oh.... You mean just the volume of the music.
    If you dont have a gain knob... And just an "RCA knob", you can't change the intensity of the bass on the fly.
    Your headunit is an RCA knob. You dont need two.
    Use a gain knob to adjust the amp/bass.



    Current: 240amp Mechman Alt, Yellowtop in the back, Two SA-6.5s and two tweets in each door powered by an LA-4200, Two Sundown SA-12s in a prefab powered by an SAZ-1500.

    http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178898-vehicle-dodge-dakota-1996/
    ^my ride


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bridging 4 Channel Amp to 2 SVC Subs...Single Speaker Terminal? (Quick and Easy)
    By jts4486 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 01:38 AM
  2. Quick Q about adding set of subs to a box and how it affects tuning
    By JakeM in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 07:13 AM
  3. quick and easy question for teh noob
    By rotteneggz in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:28 PM
  4. Quick and easy question on rated power..
    By Zylo in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 06:00 AM
  5. Look here if you want to make quick and easy MONEY!
    By cFlatt in forum Car Audio Competition, Shows and Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 11:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum