Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1221 Post(s)

Re: Audiopipe APCL-15001D on SMD Amp Dyno at 0.5 ohms Dynamic RMS

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Exactly. Burst power is meaningless. Might as well be the manufacturer's posted MAX spec. Will be interested to see what it does on the certified ratings, though.
    But but peak power lmao

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1221 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    And what is music but a series of short bursts? The dynamic burst test on the AD-1 is the closest simulation to music one can get on resistive load and music happens to be what 99%+ audio amplifiers are used for. Peak ratings, on the other hand, are merely expressions of power in a square wave and thus, are indeed meaningless.

Not to mention, this is the same dynamic burst test that any other amplifier can be subjected to so even though it isn't some exact replication of a music track, it is an accurate and repeatable method of testing more than one amplifier's performance in an "all other things being equal" environment... which is requisite of any test which seeks scientific accuracy.
    Still don't see what your getting at .. This isn't a long enough period to be a burp or music we are talking milla second burst .. And on top of that they were saying the dc 5k was doing 8k+ on this test .. Your not seeing that in your car either lol .. Bottom line this test is worthless lets see the 1 ohm certified runs if were gunna use that crap .. Or clamp it on music with subs in the car .. Will be nothing close to this inflated peak power bs

3. Thanks Side Show thanked for this post
    Likes supereikenator liked this post
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbeljefe View Post
    And what is music but a series of short bursts? The dynamic burst test on the AD-1 is the closest simulation to music one can get on resistive load and music happens to be what 99%+ audio amplifiers are used for. Peak ratings, on the other hand, are merely expressions of power in a square wave and thus, are indeed meaningless.

Not to mention, this is the same dynamic burst test that any other amplifier can be subjected to so even though it isn't some exact replication of a music track, it is an accurate and repeatable method of testing more than one amplifier's performance in an "all other things being equal" environment... which is requisite of any test which seeks scientific accuracy.
    My point is the uninformed consumer is going to see this test, see what a "deal" this amp is, take it home, set their gains to that point, and fry their equipment. All because some video online told them they can do it. I see the test as moot and misleading.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

5. Likes jrdnhsnbrg, Side Show liked this post
    Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

^ dam straight, like anything you get what you pay for. (unless it says JL on it) lol

7. Likes jrdnhsnbrg liked this post
    bbeljefe is online now Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy13091 View Post
    Still don't see what your getting at .. This isn't a long enough period to be a burp or music we are talking milla second burst .. And on top of that they were saying the dc 5k was doing 8k+ on this test .. Your not seeing that in your car either lol .. Bottom line this test is worthless lets see the 1 ohm certified runs if were gunna use that crap .. Or clamp it on music with subs in the car .. Will be nothing close to this inflated peak power bs
    The test track is ten seconds of bursts, not a millisecond of burst.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

bbeljefe is online now Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    My point is the uninformed consumer is going to see this test, see what a "deal" this amp is, take it home, set their gains to that point, and fry their equipment. All because some video online told them they can do it. I see the test as moot and misleading.
    So you're arguing that uninformed people wouldn't (or don't already) otherwise buy these amps, take them home and then damage their equipment?

The video doesn't tell anyone they can do anything. It's a bench test of an audio amplifier.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

bigdwiz is offline Old School Rulz!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Yes, this test was done on a machine, not in a car. What's the difference? I was using a big power supply instead of an alternator and batteries...that's it!

The Amp Dyno uses resistive loads and those of you who are "clamping" your amps to get the power are actually getting VA or Volt Amps, not Watts if you are using speakers instead of resistors. It's electrical engineering, but a pretty simple explanation. Reactive loads (speakers) have electrical phasing which has to be taken into account in order to obtain the power factor and Wattage measurement. It's not as simple as you think to obtain wattage measurements with using speakers, but using resistors, yes it is (along with a THD/clipping meter). The AD-1 was designed by the head engineer at RF for over 10yrs and the designer of the impressive T15kW. I test all of my amps now using the AD-1 and it's a consistent way to get results, and yes, they are accurate.

I specifically put the extra text in the video explaining the dynamic RMS power mode, but doubt most people will watch and read it. Some will just shake their heads and say "NO Way" and go back to keyboard commando mode. I'm just an audio enthusiast who likes to test amps. I didn't really care how this amp did on the Dyno, but it's fun when an amp goes beyond my expectations.

Back to the explanations on why this test wasn't valid, just wanted to break for some facts...

See my Old Skool Car Audio tests on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/BigDWiz

11. Thanks corrie32 thanked for this post
    Likes corrie32, bbeljefe liked this post
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    651 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdwiz View Post
    Yes, this test was done on a machine, not in a car. What's the difference? I was using a big power supply instead of an alternator and batteries...that's it!

The Amp Dyno uses resistive loads and those of you who are "clamping" your amps to get the power are actually getting VA or Volt Amps, not Watts if you are using speakers instead of resistors. It's electrical engineering, but a pretty simple explanation. Reactive loads (speakers) have electrical phasing which has to be taken into account in order to obtain the power factor and Wattage measurement. It's not as simple as you think to obtain wattage measurements with using speakers, but using resistors, yes it is (along with a THD/clipping meter). The AD-1 was designed by the head engineer at RF for over 10yrs and the designer of the impressive T15kW. I test all of my amps now using the AD-1 and it's a consistent way to get results, and yes, they are accurate.

I specifically put the extra text in the video explaining the dynamic RMS power mode, but doubt most people will watch and read it. Some will just shake their heads and say "NO Way" and go back to keyboard commando mode. I'm just an audio enthusiast who likes to test amps. I didn't really care how this amp did on the Dyno, but it's fun when an amp goes beyond my expectations.

Back to the explanations on why this test wasn't valid, just wanted to break for some facts...
    I actually read through the test, surprise surprise! That's why I actually admitted I was wrong in calling it a fake result on Facebook, because it is so unbelievable. I do really want to see certified test runs, though.

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

Beatin' is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

this amp in question requires a 100A fuse. With some simple math, we can figure out what it may put out RMS-wise at 1ohm

14.4v x 100a = 1440watts

1440watts - 30% inefficiency for typical D-class amps = 1008watts rms

worst case scenario........1440watts - 40% = 864watts

finding the median......1008 + 864 = 1872/2 = 936wrms

The audiopipe apcl1500 can do around 936wrms at 1ohm.

All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,
    cause my trunk always hittin'!

creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

14. Dislikes av83, TaylorFade disliked this post
    Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1221 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdwiz View Post

Post up the certified one ohm run....

cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)

this amp in question requires a 100A fuse. With some simple math, we can figure out what it may put out RMS-wise at 1ohm

14.4v x 100a = 1440watts

1440watts - 30% inefficiency for typical D-class amps = 1008watts rms

worst case scenario........1440watts - 40% = 864watts

finding the median......1008 + 864 = 1872/2 = 936wrms

The audiopipe apcl1500 can do around 936wrms at 1ohm.
    Not saying you are wrong... But fuse rating doesn't always mean how much power something will put out. Theoretically, yes.... But IRL no.,

17. Likes alec14 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cfox10 View Post
    Not saying you are wrong... But fuse rating doesn't always mean how much power something will put out. Theoretically, yes.... But IRL no.,
    you can get pretty close. This is assuming your car has a perfect electrical system.

If you do the math and you get 2000wrms for Amp-X and it actually does 2200wrms, does that 200watt difference matter? Nope......

Post up the certified one ohm run...
    936wrms to 1000wrms, the fuse ratings don't lie.

All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,

creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

19. Dislikes av83 disliked this post
    cfox10 is offline Rock the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)

you can get pretty close. This is assuming your car has a perfect electrical system.

If you do the math and you get 2000wrms for Amp-X and it actually does 2200wrms, does that 200watt difference matter? Nope......
    Every watt matters, I'm poor lol. I get what you are saying though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

another example sundown SAZ3500

SAZ-3500D V.2

efficiency at 4ohm is 86%

fuse is 350A for 1ohm, divide by 2 and it's 175A for 2ohms, divide by 2 and it's 87.5A for 4ohms

14.4v x 87.5A = 1260watts

1260watts - 14% inefficiency = 1083.6wrms

The sundown saz3500 is rated 1000wrms at 4 ohms.

You can get VERY close if you have a fuse rating and some efficiency standard.

All day I'm clippin'
    voltage be dippin'
    I don't give a damn,

bigdwiz is offline Old School Rulz!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

This APCL-15001D put out 1314W @ 1% THD at 14V (@ 1 ohm) for a few seconds then popped the 100A fuse. Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but it's gonna take me a few days to get the full video edited. I have a day job and it's not editing and posting videos for my YT channel

See my Old Skool Car Audio tests on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/BigDWiz

23. Thanks av83 thanked for this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast