Reload Thread: 2 Quick Questions

Ronoman is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 Quick Questions

I ordered an AQ2200 on Black Friday.
    Question 1:
    How frowned upon is running 0.5ohm? With my sub setup I can only do 2ohm or 0.5ohm. I will be installing a D975 up front and a D1200 in the back. With a Singer 350a alt, I'm hoping my electrical is strong enough for it.

Question 2:
    How frowned upon is mounting my amp to my sub box? I do not have anywhere else to put my amp, other than on the sub box. I want to come up with a really good way to keep the vibration off of the amp, I was thinking of doing a sheet of foam or rubber between the box and amp?

Thanks!

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)

Re: 2 Quick Questions

1st question ,you should be fine , 2nd if you cant anywhere else then a neoprene barrier then another 1/2 inch board to mount the amp to the box

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    1st question ,you should be fine , 2nd if you cant anywhere else then a neoprene barrier then another 1/2 inch board to mount the amp to the box
    How would I secure everything together? A screw from the sub box all the way to the amp? Glue the neoprene to the box and the amp?

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronoman View Post
    How would I secure everything together? A screw from the sub box all the way to the amp? Glue the neoprene to the box and the amp?
    put the neoprene under the piece of wood ,run a screw thru the wood to the box, mount the amp ,but also use rubber grommets on the amps feet

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

5. Thanks Ronoman thanked for this post
    Likes WhatsAminiTruck liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    put the neoprene under the piece of wood ,run a screw thru the wood to the box, mount the amp ,but also use rubber grommets on the amps feet
    Ahhh haa.. thank makes sense. Well that was easy.. thanks for being so fast!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)

Ahhh haa.. thank makes sense. Well that was easy.. thanks for being so fast!!
    no prob man , with smaller amps you can get away with doing this, the bigger amps ,not so much

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ordered an AQ2200 on Black Friday.
    Question 1:
    How frowned upon is running 0.5ohm? With my sub setup I can only do 2ohm or 0.5ohm. I will be installing a D975 up front and a D1200 in the back. With a Singer 350a alt, I'm hoping my electrical is strong enough for it.

Question 2:
    How frowned upon is mounting my amp to my sub box? I do not have anywhere else to put my amp, other than on the sub box. I want to come up with a really good way to keep the vibration off of the amp, I was thinking of doing a sheet of foam or rubber between the box and amp?

Thanks!
    That's really not much electrical support to run such a juicy amp. I'd keep the gain a bit lower if you can. Then invest in at least three more D1200s

As far as the amp on the box, it's going to eventually damage any amplifier to have it endure such constant vibration but if you have no other choice you have no other choice. I have two layers of 2x4s and two .75" layers of mdf between the inside of my enclosure and my amps and there is still vibration that makes it through. But do everything you can to prevent excessive exposure to vibration and you should be fine

^^BLACK AND BLUE^^
    4.5 Cubes Tuned to 29Hz
    Two BtLN212D2s on (two 2.5ks)***update now on four IA 20.1s at .175 ohms each
    (Four XS D1400s)***update now eight XS D1400s
    Mechman 270
    Lots of mids n highs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by So Low iT Hz View Post
    That's really not much electrical support to run such a juicy amp. I'd keep the gain a bit lower if you can. Then invest in at least three more D1200s

As far as the amp on the box, it's going to eventually damage any amplifier to have it endure such constant vibration but if you have no other choice you have no other choice. I have two layers of 2x4s and two .75" layers of mdf between the inside of my enclosure and my amps and there is still vibration that makes it through. But do everything you can to prevent excessive exposure to vibration and you should be fine
    Would a second D1200 help out? Because that would be all I could fit..
    Do XS power's wattage ratings not mean anything? Because the D1200 can support 3000w as a second battery?

Selling everything in my car.. PM for info.
    SQ2200 - SOLD
    2 PSI 12s & custom box
    360a Singer Alternator
    XS Power D1200

phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would a second D1200 help out? Because that would be all I could fit..
    Do XS power's wattage ratings not mean anything? Because the D1200 can support 3000w as a second battery?
    Its only a 2200.. with a 350 amp alt your going to be doing alright. it never hurts to add some group 31s but i have a crescendo bc3500 at .5 right now with a 300 amp alt, only a ****** upfront battery and 2 old group 31s in the back that rest real low so theyre not even good and my voltage is not dipping bad at all.

Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453

Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    Its only a 2200.. with a 350 amp alt your going to be doing alright. it never hurts to add some group 31s but i have a crescendo bc3500 at .5 right now with a 300 amp alt, only a ****** upfront battery and 2 old group 31s in the back that rest real low so theyre not even good and my voltage is not dipping bad at all.
    Alright. Thats what I thought. Thanks! If my voltage is terrible then I do plan on adding another D1200.

SQ2200 - SOLD
    2 PSI 12s & custom box
    360a Singer Alternator
    XS Power D1200

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the bump.. but I mounted my amp to the box with layers and layers of rubber washers, foam, MDF, more foam, and some foam. But the amp makes a terrible terrible vibrating sound.. it sounds like metal on metal in the amp. I took it off and now it is just sitting in my trunk at a 30degree angle, it is the only way I can make it work without being on the box. Is it supposed to sound like that?
    Here is a picture of what it is mounted on.

SQ2200 - SOLD
    2 PSI 12s & custom box
    360a Singer Alternator
    XS Power D1200

+ Reply to Thread