+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Reload Thread: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

  1. #1
    clueless's Avatar
    clueless is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    First off I have 0 knowledge on audio let alone car audio. Need help on an amp to run for my set up in my 02 Lexus GS300

    Alpine IVE-530 head unit
    JL c5's in the doors
    Two JL 10w3v3's in a sealed box

    I was told it would be okay to run the c5's off the head unit but I need an amp for the subs. From asking around I was told a 1000 watt amp. Is that right? Im a little confused at this point. I see different types of amps (class d, a, b, mono) and im clueless on this rms amd ohms thing. Whatever help given is much appreciated

    Also if some one can list a few good brands that will help as well







  2. #2
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    50
    Posts
    17,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Class d at 1000-1200 rms at 1 ohm many amps to choose from. A budget will help




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  3. #3
    Side Show's Avatar
    Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise



    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    look at a nice 5 channel amp bud....




  4. #4
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    50
    Posts
    17,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    look at a nice 5 channel amp bud....
    Good idea. Memphis belle !!!!




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  5. Likes Side Show liked this post
  6. #5
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression



    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    First off I have 0 knowledge on audio let alone car audio. Need help on an amp to run for my set up in my 02 Lexus GS300

    Alpine IVE-530 head unit
    JL c5's in the doors
    Two JL 10w3v3's in a sealed box


    I was told it would be okay to run the c5's off the head unit but I need an amp for the subs. From asking around I was told a 1000 watt amp. Is that right? Im a little confused at this point. I see different types of amps (class d, a, b, mono) and im clueless on this rms amd ohms thing. Whatever help given is much appreciated

    Also if some one can list a few good brands that will help as well

    I wouldn't run those c5s off the head unit they will work, but not going to sound real good.




  7. #6
    Side Show's Avatar
    Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise



    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Good idea. Memphis belle !!!!
    this guys onto it.!




  8. #7
    clueless's Avatar
    clueless is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    look at a nice 5 channel amp bud....
    5 channels??? Im sure that im wrong but the 4 doors plus 2 subs would mean I need 6 channels?

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer_212 View Post
    I wouldn't run those c5s off the head unit they will work, but not going to sound real good.
    What type of amp and how much power do u recommend?




  9. #8
    Side Show's Avatar
    Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise



    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    5 chan amp = 4 channels for the front and rear speakers left and right. and the mono sub channel, you can wire both of the subs to that channel to get the most pwr to your subs.

    look at a few 5 channel amps, they'll actually show you in the manuels on how to wire up your setup.




  10. #9
    jeffdachef's Avatar
    jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,677
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    5 channels??? Im sure that im wrong but the 4 doors plus 2 subs would mean I need 6 channels?



    What type of amp and how much power do u recommend?
    again... Budget please...



    Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.

    Subs : SSA Zcon 12 in a 3.25 cube tuned to 33
    Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D
    Mids/Highs: PPI ION 520.4 - bought from trumpet
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front stage: Phd FB 6.1 6.5 mids with jbl ms-62c tweets and crossovers on 130 rms each.
    singler 180 amp alt with kinetik hc1800 under the hood and 2 hc 2400 in the trunk.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    I agree about the five channel. You won't want a 1000 watt sub stage with no amplification to the speakers inside the cabin. Any electrical upgrades you can afford would be highly encouraged as well. (new battery or an additional battery, replacing small engine wires with sufficient power cable, etc)

    The five channel will typically be cheaper than buying a four channel for the mids/highs down the road but like previously mentioned I don't know if you have budget concerns at all




    ^^BLACK AND BLUE^^
    4.5 Cubes Tuned to 29Hz
    Two BtLN212D2s on (two 2.5ks)***update now on four IA 20.1s at .175 ohms each
    (Four XS D1400s)***update now eight XS D1400s
    Mechman 270
    Lots of mids n highs

  12. #11
    clueless's Avatar
    clueless is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Side Show View Post
    5 chan amp = 4 channels for the front and rear speakers left and right. and the mono sub channel, you can wire both of the subs to that channel to get the most pwr to your subs.

    look at a few 5 channel amps, they'll actually show you in the manuels on how to wire up your setup.
    Understood. Ideally how much amp (wattage) am I looking at for this setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    again... Budget please...
    TBH i don't have one. I'm well aware you get what you pay for, but I don't need anything competition level. I want what will give me the best bang for the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by So Low iT Hz View Post
    I agree about the five channel. You won't want a 1000 watt sub stage with no amplification to the speakers inside the cabin. Any electrical upgrades you can afford would be highly encouraged as well. (new battery or an additional battery, replacing small engine wires with sufficient power cable, etc)

    The five channel will typically be cheaper than buying a four channel for the mids/highs down the road but like previously mentioned I don't know if you have budget concerns at all
    I have already put money aside for that as well, thanks bud




  13. #12
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    50
    Posts
    17,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    I can help. What subs. And what are your goals here ?




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  14. #13
    Side Show's Avatar
    Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise



    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!





  15. Likes jeffdachef liked this post
  16. #14
    clueless's Avatar
    clueless is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    I can help. What subs. And what are your goals here ?
    4 jl c5's n da doors
    2 jl 10w3v3's
    Alpine In dash




  17. #15
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Cali DC PHD & Tantric rep



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    50
    Posts
    17,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)

    Re: what type of amp for this setup? No audio knowledge, need help!

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    4 jl c5's n da doors
    2 jl 10w3v3's
    Alpine In dash
    If space isn't an issue the Memphis 5 channel belle will be perfect or go with a mono block and 4 channel




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What type of power for my setup?
    By 758675 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 08:04 PM
  2. what kind of wiring for this amp?
    By musak99 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 10:05 AM
  3. What type of amp recommended for these subs?
    By Romeo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 05:12 AM
  4. what type of amp should i buy for....
    By BiKeR2k in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2002, 12:59 PM
  5. What type of amp should I be looking for??
    By Sugar Daddy in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2002, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum