+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Amp Tuning

SuperSam is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amp Tuning

Hey guys,
    So after a lot of work, I finally installed my JBL P660C component speakers and my hifonics brx160.2 amp. Yesterday, I set my gain using my DMM, but there's still something I haven't quite figured out. First of all, These are components, not a sub. Do I need to set High pass filters and low pass filters on my amp if I have my gain already set. If so, will I have to dim down the gain so that I can adjust the filters so there isn't any clipping. I don't really understand what high pass filters and low pass filters do, and I'm not sure if they'll make my speakers sound more crisp or not? Also, my external crossovers have a 0 db or -6 db button on them, and I'm guessing this is sensitivity for the tweeters? If I increase the db with my gain already set will that also make clipping occur? Sorry if im stupid. Still trying to understand. Thanks

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Re: Amp Tuning

Set the crossover to high pass and set the high pass filter to ~80 Hz. Low pass filter is not used when x over is set to HP.

As for clipping, you have no way of knowing if you're clipping when you set with a DMM. Clipping most often comes from the source. i.e. your head unit and if you don't know where to set it then all you can do is guess with a DMM.

What model head unit do you have?
    Are you using a processor?
    What volume level did you have the HU set to?
    Did you use bass or treble boost, loudness or any other boost circuit when setting?

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

SuperSam is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amp Tuning

I have a Pioneer DEH-8400BH head unit, dunno what a processor is. I had the volume 3/4 of max. And no i didn't. I calculated the volts I needed as 17.8 and put it a little under that just incase. I never exceed volume 45. I guess I was just wondering what to set my HPF to on my amp but you answered that. As for the crossover. Which setting is high pass? 0db or -6db?

+ Reply to Thread