Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: jl audo jx1000d on obsidian 18

obsidian is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jl audo jx1000d on obsidian 18

I am geting ready for an install this weekend and was curious to know if anyone has experience with the jl jx 1000d. 1000 watts for 237 bucks is extremely cheap. If the amp will produce 1000 watts rms of clean power then I will be happy. I think at 2ohms it will produce 900 watts at 12.5 v. I have 110 amp alternator and a Shuriken bt60 2nd battery. It is pushing a Obsidian 18 in ported box. The car is HushMatted in trunk, doors and headliner. My question is I hear that the jx series is 'weak' compared to slash line. Slash line also is twice as much. But isnt a 1000 watts a 1000 watts? For argument sake say the power is clean and the electrical is not a real issue. What are the Cons of the Jx 1000d? If the power is not clean on the jx then i know thats an issue. Is it clean? Jl claims it to be clean thats why I say clean for argument sake. I know clean vs dirty power is a factor. Ie Hifonics I am sorry to say is dirty power and a lot of us use Hifonics. I have a brz1700 pushing a image dynamics idmax 12. It sounds great until you start to turn it up really loud and you start to lose some clarity. I call that dirty power. Very expensive amps you dont hear that. I am hoping that wont be the factor in the jx 1000.

Thanks

psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: jl audo jx1000d on obsidian 18

I don't have experience with that particular amp but based on my experience with some JL stuff and their reputation, I'm sure it isn't a bad amp. I would bet that it'll do rated power with the right electrical.

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psych0ticnemes1 View Post
    I don't have experience with that particular amp but based on my experience with some JL stuff and their reputation, I'm sure it isn't a bad amp. I would bet that it'll do rated power with the right electrical.
    Ok that sounds promising. If it is just a little better than my Hifonics brz1700 I will be happy. I am refering to efficiency, cleanliness and reliabilty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
    I am geting ready for an install this weekend and was curious to know if anyone has experience with the jl jx 1000d. 1000 watts for 237 bucks is extremely cheap. If the amp will produce 1000 watts rms of clean power then I will be happy. I think at 2ohms it will produce 900 watts at 12.5 v. I have 110 amp alternator and a Shuriken bt60 2nd battery. It is pushing a Obsidian 18 in ported box. The car is HushMatted in trunk, doors and headliner. My question is I hear that the jx series is 'weak' compared to slash line. Slash line also is twice as much. But isnt a 1000 watts a 1000 watts? For argument sake say the power is clean and the electrical is not a real issue. What are the Cons of the Jx 1000d? If the power is not clean on the jx then i know thats an issue. Is it clean? Jl claims it to be clean thats why I say clean for argument sake. I know clean vs dirty power is a factor. Ie Hifonics I am sorry to say is dirty power and a lot of us use Hifonics. I have a brz1700 pushing a image dynamics idmax 12. It sounds great until you start to turn it up really loud and you start to lose some clarity. I call that dirty power. Very expensive amps you dont hear that. I am hoping that wont be the factor in the jx 1000.

Thanks

first off, 1k for 237 is not cheap.. you can find deals on ebay alooot cheaper than that, few months back i bought a MB Quart 1500.1 for $120 BNIB.. got a B2 Qouta, "1200" rms, more like 1800 for 190 shipped BNIB on here as well..

second off, i have experience with the amp,its great, just dont run it below 2 ohms. power is clean

third of all, hifonics is not dirty power, you probably had the gain up too high. if you feed those maxxsonics amps the proper voltage (14.4) and be respectable with the gain, it will preform for you..

4th, look at the prices dude, of course the jx series is not as well made as the slash... lol

Ok that sounds promising. If it is just a little better than my Hifonics brz1700 I will be happy. I am refering to efficiency, cleanliness and reliabilty.

it wont be better, the brz 1700 has the same board as the mb quart 1500 that i have, i had the jl jx 1000 in my grifriends car before the mb quart, switched amps, same sub same box same car, the MQ quart shit all over the JL, so in short, the JL will not be better than the Hifonics..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04murdalanche View Post
    first off, 1k for 237 is not cheap.. you can find deals on ebay alooot cheaper than that, few months back i bought a MB Quart 1500.1 for $120 BNIB.. got a B2 Qouta, "1200" rms, more like 1800 for 190 shipped BNIB on here as well..

second off, i have experience with the amp,its great, just dont run it below 2 ohms. power is clean

third of all, hifonics is not dirty power, you probably had the gain up too high. if you feed those maxxsonics amps the proper voltage (14.4) and be respectable with the gain, it will preform for you..

4th, look at the prices dude, of course the jx series is not as well made as the slash... lol

it wont be better, the brz 1700 has the same board as the mb quart 1500 that i have, i had the jl jx 1000 in my grifriends car before the mb quart, switched amps, same sub same box same car, the MQ quart shit all over the JL, so in short, the JL will not be better than the Hifonics..
    Thanks for your help 04murdalanche. I have a mb quart 500.4 and a brz1700 in my other car. It sounds great. I will be running the the jl slash 400/4 and the jx 1000d in my other car on the obsdidian 18 at 2ohms (900 watts) I just was hoping that it will all sound good to me with no comlplaints. I like the size of jx. Hoping the 2nd battery will make up for any short comings. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Thanks for your help 04murdalanche. I have a mb quart 500.4 and a brz1700 in my other car. It sounds great. I will be running the the jl slash 400/4 and the jx 1000d in my other car on the obsdidian 18 at 2ohms (900 watts) I just was hoping that it will all sound good to me with no comlplaints. I like the size of jx. Hoping the 2nd battery will make up for any short comings. Thanks again.
    Slash 400/4 is a great mids and highs amp, the jx is tiiiny. The 2nd batt will help, what gauge wire do you have to the back?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slash 400/4 is a great mids and highs amp, the jx is tiiiny. The 2nd batt will help, what gauge wire do you have to the back?
    Yes I love that amp. I blew it and got it repaired. In the mean time I ran the mb quart and the slash has better sq. The obsidian I bought runs at 2ohms and I changed my mine on the old school coustic 1000 I was gonna run. So I needed a amp with at least 1k to run at 2ohms most other amps I found were more than $300 and/or too big. I wanted the slash 1000 because ohms don't make a difference on those amps and then settled for the jx. did the ohms I needed and the power at a good price. I could have ran with another brz1700 but I wanted to try soemthing different plus the amp is huge. I like the tininess of the jx. My installer said it was weak. I wanted the slash but could not afford. I will proabably upgrade to something better in the future. Mostly likely slash. Running all 0 guage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Yes I love that amp. I blew it and got it repaired. In the mean time I ran the mb quart and the slash has better sq. The obsidian I bought runs at 2ohms and I changed my mine on the old school coustic 1000 I was gonna run. So I needed a amp with at least 1k to run at 2ohms most other amps I found were more than $300 and/or too big. I wanted the slash 1000 because ohms don't make a difference on those amps and then settled for the jx. did the ohms I needed and the power at a good price. I could have ran with another brz1700 but I wanted to try soemthing different plus the amp is huge. I like the tininess of the jx. My installer said it was weak. I wanted the slash but could not afford. I will proabably upgrade to something better in the future. Mostly likely slash. Running all 0 guage
    i gotcha.. sounds good man, if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me

macsdad is offline boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

now, that is what this forum is all about, helping each other out. it is so nice that no-one started with the this is crap/you need this other crap-nonsense. good luck with your set-up op.

10. Likes des343 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I appreciate it!I have never heard an 18 get loud yet. I bought an BTL18 off ebay and I think it was F$%&^! or something kept cutting out on my mmats amp when it got loud. So I still have no idea what an 18 sounds like played loud. Doing a Bulk Pack of HushMat Fyi system for mids and highs on jl slash 400/4 front lpg25nfa and cdt m6+ sealed rear Diamond HEX ands SEAS tweets.(menisicus and madisound stop carrying the lpg25nfa) Ill post some pics and youtube after install. Thanks again for your help. Hope the JX does its thing!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well finally got everything installed. I must say the JX is a good amp I would recommend it. The Obsidian 18 is rms at 600 watts. i am running the JX at 1000 watts 2 ohms 0 gauge 110 amp alt bt 60 Shuriken battery. After extended playing I am getting a little light dimms. For the most part it is ok. Shuriken definitely recommended. I have seen post where the Obsidians can handle a lot more power than there rated. That may may be so but I don't think for an extended period of time. I guess it may be a breaking in period because I had to turn it down because I was smelling coils. I have a feeling the jx will blow this sub. Thinking about going into a jl 500/1. So both items recommended the JX is dope as long as you upgrade your electrical. The obsidian definitely worth the 200 bucks. I have it in a 4 and change cu. box ported and does well hittin all lows in any hip hop song. Not too good on high ends which is ok. It an 18. I wish i had a hatch back or truck. To much rattle in the trunk even with Hush Mat. I will add more. Whether the windows are up or down I am basin blocks away. You will need a 3db gain on front stage tweets if you want to hear them

Electrodynamic is offline Knows nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Well finally got everything installed. I must say the JX is a good amp I would recommend it. The Obsidian 18 is rms at 600 watts. i am running the JX at 1000 watts 2 ohms 0 gauge 110 amp alt bt 60 Shuriken battery. After extended playing I am getting a little light dimms. For the most part it is ok. Shuriken definitely recommended. I have seen post where the Obsidians can handle a lot more power than there rated. That may may be so but I don't think for an extended period of time. I guess it may be a breaking in period because I had to turn it down because I was smelling coils. I have a feeling the jx will blow this sub. Thinking about going into a jl 500/1. So both items recommended the JX is dope as long as you upgrade your electrical. The obsidian definitely worth the 200 bucks. I have it in a 4 and change cu. box ported and does well hittin all lows in any hip hop song. Not too good on high ends which is ok. It an 18. I wish i had a hatch back or truck. To much rattle in the trunk even with Hush Mat. I will add more. Whether the windows are up or down I am basin blocks away. You will need a 3db gain on front stage tweets if you want to hear them
    Overpowering the subwoofer and/or clipping will yield a smell from the coil(s). It is a 600 watt rated subwoofer. You're nearly doubling the power handling of that subwoofer with that amplifier since it produces the same power at 1 Ohm or 2 Ohm.

Electrodynamic
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero."
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Co-owner Obsidian Car Audio
    Associate Sundown Audio
    Simon Eichenberger is my hero
    Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
    Overpowering the subwoofer and/or clipping will yield a smell from the coil(s). It is a 600 watt rated subwoofer. You're nearly doubling the power handling of that subwoofer with that amplifier since it produces the same power at 1 Ohm or 2 Ohm.
    With the extra batt I doubt he's clipping, and no that amp is not 1 ohm stable as stated earlier. He's MAYBE getting 1.3 ohm at the sub, out forget box rise.. Sub is not seeing 1k by any means anyways. It's fine

Electrodynamic is offline Knows nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

With the extra batt I doubt he's clipping, and no that amp is not 1 ohm stable as stated earlier. He's MAYBE getting 1.3 ohm at the sub, out forget box rise.. Sub is not seeing 1k by any means anyways. It's fine
    Just because a person has an extra battery does not mean that either the source unit or the amplifier is not clipping.

Electrodynamic
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero."
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Co-owner Obsidian Car Audio
    Associate Sundown Audio
    Simon Eichenberger is my hero
    Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

4cube is not the correct size box for an 18! A 15 or possibly even 12 would be better. I had to keep reading when I saw 18 and trunk in the same paragraph ..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast