Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Thoughts on the JL 500/1

mb2005 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thoughts on the JL 500/1

I am considering the JL 500/1 mono sub amp for my two 10W3's and would appreciate any feedback about this amps or this setup. Its expensive, (at least for my budget) and so thats why I ask ahead. Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Thoughts on the JL 500/1

In that case, what amp(s) would you recommend for 2 JL 10W3s ran at 4ohms, both 250 rms each. thanks

BooLeaN is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hifonics 1000bd would do fine if you can run them at 1 ohm. JBL 600.1 as well if u can do 1 ohm. I'd assume that you can since those must be dual 4 ohm voice coils to get a 4 ohm load in the first place.

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Kenwood Excelon X-890
    2 JL 12W0's
    Zapco AG350
    Time to upgrade!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you buy JL equipment you pay for quality. They dont use off the shelf parts in their amps and their power ratings are underated. JBL's bp 600.1 would be a good inexpensive choice.

BooLeaN is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that JL is quality but you can get pretty much the same quality for much less. JL makes their own parts for a lot of things but that is very costly. Sometimes it helps, other times it doesn't really matter.

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Kenwood Excelon X-890
    2 JL 12W0's
    Zapco AG350
    Time to upgrade!!

i3luealien is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what about a kaption amp eg. D700.1? to power both those subs?

sorry to ask a question in your thread mb2005

JLCivic is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I run 2 JL amps and love them. I certainly do not have money to burn. I got some good deals, and these amps suit me just fine. The amps work great, and I have no issues with them.

Blindly stating JL amps are for people with "money to burn" is reckless, at best. That statement does not take into account WHY a person buys the amps(maybe they got great deals, maybe they want RIPS technology...which can be very helpful, or they want the very nice xover, eq options). Maybe the person doesn't JUST look at how much power they get per dollar(and take those other features into account).

I say check them out(along with other amps that you are interested in). See what amp gives you the best set of features you want/need for the money you have to spend. If you are just looking for a no frills amplifier, obviously there are cheaper alternatives to the JL. If you want RIPS technology, flexible xover/eq, etc, in a nice, reliable package, then the JL may be what you are looking for in an amp.

2002 Honda Accord SE sedan

RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

http://members.sounddomain.com/perryb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    Seriously, though, JL amplifiers aren't for people on a tight budget ... You can get reliable amplifiers with all the stuff you NEED for half the price ... It would be nice if everyone could get JL, Xtant, Zapco, ARC, etc., but I definitely don't recommend spending half your budget on the sub amplifier ...
    I understand what you are saying, and I agree that you can get reliable amps for less, but, IF this guy really wants/needs what the JL provides, it may be a perfect match. We can't say what he "needs" since we don't have enough information to make that determination. If he had said, " i just need 500 watts at 2 ohms" then we would have a better idea as to his needs, and there would be countless amps that would provide what he needs. That being said, if he doesn't want to buy a new 500/1 (if he can't afford one), he could try the classifieds on the different forums for one. Sometimes there are great deals to be had(my 300/2 was purchased used, and i got a great deal). It is something to consider IF a person is set on a specific brand/amp, etc. He could also look into the JL E series amp(if he wants to stay with JL, still have some features, but no RIPS technology). The local shop has done a few installs with the E series amps and have been very impressed.

It all depends on what we, as consumers, place value on. As an example, I could not care less if my deck could play mp3s. I know many who would just die if they couldn't play mp3s in their car.

RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    Seriously, though, JL amplifiers aren't for people on a tight budget ... You can get reliable amplifiers with all the stuff you NEED for half the price ... It would be nice if everyone could get JL, Xtant, Zapco, ARC, etc., but I definitely don't recommend spending half your budget on the sub amplifier ...
    I understand what you are saying, and I agree that you can get reliable amps for less, but, IF this guy really wants/needs what the JL provides, it may be a perfect match. We can't say what he "needs" since we don't have enough information to make that determination. If he had said, " i just need 500 watts at 2 ohms" then we would have a better idea as to his needs, and there would be countless amps that would provide what he needs. That being said, if he doesn't want to buy a new 500/1 (if he can't afford one), he could try the classifieds on the different forums for one. Sometimes there are great deals to be had(my 300/2 was purchased used, and i got a great deal). It is something to consider IF a person is set on a specific brand/amp, etc. He could also look into the JL E series amp(if he wants to stay with JL, still have some features, but no RIPS technology). The local shop has done a few installs with the E series amps and have been very impressed.

It all depends on what we, as consumers, place value on. As an example, I could not care less if my deck could play mp3s. I know many who would just die if they couldn't play mp3s in their car.

RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BooLeaN
    Hifonics 1000bd would do fine if you can run them at 1 ohm.
    That would be too much for those subs. I would look at the 500BD from Hifonics. Should suit them to a tee.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

AsK 5109 is offline I GOTTA LOTTA MOE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

mmmmm 500/1, I love that amp, seen a few and those suckers...........never heated up whatsoever and with a dampening of 500 at 4 ohms...........i like it!!

Quote Originally Posted by saywhat?
    i can go about flaming people with 4 L7's that hit 155 or something if they are cocky. i hate cocky people, your just as gay as the people that waste money on car audio when u must feed your family. much respect given to those who work.
    ^^^Couldn't have said it better myself.

3-11-05....I walk up to an old man looking for a toner cartridge.

Me: Something I can help you with today?
    Him: Well....It looks like you've made an executive decision to screw me.
    (Obviously didn't find what he was looking for although funny as hell)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm actually going to go with the 500/1. I am impressed with the technology and I think it is the perfect match for my jl subs. I am probably going to buy used on ebay and i'll let you all know how it sounds.

Closed Thread