Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Reload Thread: Amp Question

  1. #1
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Amp Question

    I have 2 12" PSI Platform 2 sub's rated at 1800w rms each. Each are 2 ohms and i'm looking for a good amp to power these with. I figured i need about 3600 wrms to power these but i'm not sure what to get since this is the most powerful subs i've ever gone with and most places i've looked don't sell amps large enough to power this system. I also want something thats quality and going to last me a while, not just a couple months then burn out or something.

    thanks for any input or advice here.







  2. #2
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is offline I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Jetta View Post
    I have 2 12" PSI Platform 2 sub's rated at 1800w rms each. Each are 2 ohms and i'm looking for a good amp to power these with. I figured i need about 3600 wrms to power these but i'm not sure what to get since this is the most powerful subs i've ever gone with and most places i've looked don't sell amps large enough to power this system. I also want something thats quality and going to last me a while, not just a couple months then burn out or something.

    thanks for any input or advice here.

    budget?



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  3. #3
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    Right now...no budget, id rather spend more money and get a quality amp that will last me a long time then a cheap amp that i'm going to have to replace every few months or whatever




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    get a 4 k




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

  5. #5
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSPL_Maniac View Post
    get a 4 k
    Thanks, which 4k amp would you recommend?




  6. #6
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    and would i wire the subs to 2 ohms or wire them down to .5 ohms?




  7. #7
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    whatever you get count on an HO alt and a couple of G31 sized batts in the back, especially if running at .5 daily.

    AQ, sundown, crescendo are what I've run in that power range. Can find them used now and then...

    If you want to go bigger I have a Crescendo 5500 with about 2hrs of playing time. PM me if interested.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    no experience with any 4k amps but i would lean towards like an old skool memphis 4k or american bass.. OR maybe 2 2k amps. try and find an amp that will do it @ 12v maybe 14v too if possible because you wont have to also worry about all that power draw all the time. AND OBVIOUSLY if your looking for true 4k amps your already have somewhat upgraded electrical.




    Your Car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book "Moog"

  9. #9
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    Thanks for the responses, ill keep my eye out for anything from what was listed. As for the electrical system, its not done yet ( too **** cold...been like near 0 here for a while so waiting till it warms up) But i do plan on putting in a 240amp mechman alt, doing all the core electrical system (alternator to battery, battery to chassis, engine to chassis) upgrades with 0 guage wire that i got from knukonceptz. I also do plan on adding 2 or 3 xs power D4700 batteries in the car (Probably 2 in the trunk and 1 in the engine bay for starting the car) wired in parallel. Not sure anything else that would need to be done. got 2 bulk packs of stinger expert roadkill that i plan on using in the trunk and the car. May order a third box if i need it to finish off the car if i can't get the entire floor pan and under the headliner. Just trying to keep it so its nice sounding, but pounds but just below the level of me blowing out my windows or something since i can't afford cracked windshields every other week or something lol




  10. #10
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is offline I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Jetta View Post
    Thanks for the responses, ill keep my eye out for anything from what was listed. As for the electrical system, its not done yet ( too **** cold...been like near 0 here for a while so waiting till it warms up) But i do plan on putting in a 240amp mechman alt, doing all the core electrical system (alternator to battery, battery to chassis, engine to chassis) upgrades with 0 guage wire that i got from knukonceptz. I also do plan on adding 2 or 3 xs power D4700 batteries in the car (Probably 2 in the trunk and 1 in the engine bay for starting the car) wired in parallel. Not sure anything else that would need to be done. got 2 bulk packs of stinger expert roadkill that i plan on using in the trunk and the car. May order a third box if i need it to finish off the car if i can't get the entire floor pan and under the headliner. Just trying to keep it so its nice sounding, but pounds but just below the level of me blowing out my windows or something since i can't afford cracked windshields every other week or something lol
    idk if he sas sold it yet but there a SAZ3500 for sale right now for CHEAP.... $570 + ship....

    Link: Sundown SAZ-3500 Cheap @myjaja ;



    MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)


    WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE


    2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

  11. #11
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    if you want a new amp ,and a good deal on the xs batteries send me a pm .i can help




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  12. #12
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    be a few weeks before i'm able to finish everything up and have the rest of the funds ready but i just want to make sure i'm on the right track. I was looking at the saz3500 but wasnt sure about it but it looked promising. Thanks mylows. I'll check with you when im ready to finish this system up for the batteries and that and thanks everyone for the advice.




  13. #13
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    hey no problem ,i'd run a vfl 500.1 on those subs at .5 ohms ,should give you tons of power with more to spare .even at 2 ohms its around 3k rms ,but at .5 it closer to 6k




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  14. #14
    Dark_Jetta's Avatar
    Dark_Jetta is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    thanks, guess another question to go with this setup is how good my sound quality is going to be, i know i'm probably going to loose some cause of the power and spl factors with this much rms but will it still sound pretty clean?

    and should i go with the 3 batterys using one for starting the car and the other 2 for the system power or will i be okay with using two of the battery's, one in the engine starting the car and the other in the trunk with them both connected in parallel?




  15. #15
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

    Re: Amp Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Jetta View Post
    thanks, guess another question to go with this setup is how good my sound quality is going to be, i know i'm probably going to loose some cause of the power and spl factors with this much rms but will it still sound pretty clean?

    and should i go with the 3 batterys using one for starting the car and the other 2 for the system power or will i be okay with using two of the battery's, one in the engine starting the car and the other in the trunk with them both connected in parallel?
    i'd do 3 batteries all wired together,also if you use the bass knob you can control the bass from the frt seat to give more or less for daily listening .i would use 2 d 3100 batteries in the back and the biggest xs power battery you can get up front .i could give you a package deal on the batts and amp .but the batts need to be paid for by next friday when i make my next order .




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Amp question
    By adam182002 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2002, 10:34 PM
  2. Amp question
    By Adam182002 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 05:32 PM
  3. Amp Question
    By RangerMan in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2002, 03:16 PM
  4. Xplod Amp Question
    By Unregistered in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2002, 10:39 PM
  5. Amp question
    By Albokid in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2002, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum