Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Amplifier draw on the electrical system, 1 ohm vs 4 ohm, amplifier class questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amplifier draw on the electrical system, 1 ohm vs 4 ohm, amplifier class questions

Hey guys, I don't know enough about this stuff and I've been searching but haven't found an answer yet. I am looking to power a sub rated at 500w RMS (sundown SD 10").

I would like to have an amplifier that does not create a large draw on my electric system, the last amp I had, a 1st gen Orion HCCA 250, pulled so much power that I could never run the sub at its potential because of headlight dimming. I will be putting this sub into a small roadster that doesn't have a very big alternator.

I know class D amps are standard for driving a sub and have decent efficiency. Should I be looking at something like a class GH amp?

In an equal scenario (500w RMS), does running at 1 ohm or 4 ohm draw more current (I know 4 ohm is supposed to be cleaner)? For example, running a Diamond Audio TX600.1 at 1 ohm with the gain turned down a bit be a good choice, since it's a class GH? Would just a regular class D amp that puts out around 600w RMS at 4-ohm be a good choice?

Sorry if my question is not well defined, I'm trying to figure all this stuff out.

Thanks!

Refs: Famous_78, hoss, alphabit1, lyttleviet, mossberg385t

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)

Re: Amplifier draw on the electrical system, 1 ohm vs 4 ohm, amplifier class question

fins an amp thats 90% efficient at 4 ohms , do the big 3 and add a small kinetik hc 600 battery .your good then

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Amplifier draw on the electrical system, 1 ohm vs 4 ohm, amplifier class question

Just fyi, headlight dimming isn't necessarily horrible. You can get dimming at .2V drop possibly. You just have to know where your voltage sits.

Personally I would go for the 600W @ 1ohm, but you have to look at efficiency of both. Compare the specs of both amps, do some math, go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    fins an amp thats 90% efficient at 4 ohms , do the big 3 and add a small kinetik hc 600 battery .your good then
    This.

I'm doing too many things at once.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

dbjunior is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mmats=efficient

bought from MBROOKY, johnny law.Lulz, subzero, tc3k101
    sold to mytrunkslamz , vitveet, cd6551, martiandancer31 (x2), pro-rabbit, whytellyou
    Trade with cf2004

Closed Thread