Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Amp advice - Component and Sub

Sonic. is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Amp advice - Component and Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mystral Hawk View Post
    Forgive me again. God I feel really stupid. But isn't the ID8 D2 dual 2 ohm?

Btw, you guys are the best. Thanks for helping a guy out.
    Don't feel stupid mann, we all make mistakes and learn, for the ID8 D2, the D2 means dual 2 ohm, which can be wired in series to acheive a final 4 ohm load or wired in parallel to acheive a final load of 1 ohm.

Mystral Hawk is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys. I think I've narrowed it down to the PPI/PA and the vfl 150.4. :-) I really super appreciate everyone's help.

I'll certainly let everyone know how it goes!

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystral Hawk View Post

1) The XD500 does not push out enough power for the front components.
    Do not be obsessed about having to run >100watts of power. My suspicion is that most speakers do not really handle the rated power specially when crazy numbers are given. The power handling spec is thermal limit, but most speakers will easily run into excursion limit at low frequencies with well over 100watt RMS. Another issue is that THD can go through the roof if you actually drive the speakers hard enough to make use of those 100watts of power (speaker THD, not amp THD). At the same time having too much power can't really hard even when listening at normal volume level. You get more heard room for dynamics and lower amplifier THD.

2) At 2 ohms, the XD500 pushes out 300RMS, but the ID8 D4 recommends 150RMS.

So I'm looking for advice in terms of alternative amp choices and whether I should get the 4 ohm or 2 ohm sub.

Thank you all in advance!
    No problem IMHO. If you're worried too much, get hold of a DMM and set amplifier gain by DMM.

Regarding amplifier, if you're going to drive subwoofers and speakers with one amplifier, get a relatively high power 4-channel amp, as the more power is normally better for the subwoofers. I'd mention the PPI Phantom P900.4 too. This thing normally costs $200 online. The value is incredible. You get respectable 450watts on bridged channels, small case, and the thing never runs hot. Another interesting amplifier is Alpine MRX-F65. While a bit more expensive, I suspect its more refined when feeding full range speaker channels. JL Audio is a respectable amp company. If you have interest in HD or XD amp go for it.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2