Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

  1. #1
    dan5505's Avatar
    dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    After searching for a while on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that there is a ton of amps to choose from and everyone has their favorite brand. I have a 10" Dayton HO, single voice coil, 4 ohm impedance, sealed enclosure. My current amp, a Kenwood Excelon KAC-X812D, has static in the lines that bothers me. I am looking for an amp that has a clean output for a sound quality setup.

    I read several posts that were recommending Soundstream amps. There product line seems a bit confusing as they have 9 different series of amps. Their prices are good though. How do these amps compare to the higher priced name brand amps like Rockford and Alpine? I will be putting this amp under my passenger seat. Are the compact Tarantula Nano Series Soundstream amps decent?

    This is the one I am considering:

    Soundstream TN1.1200D Class D Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com

    What do you guys think?







  2. #2
    TaylorFade's Avatar
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    2,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Get this. It's tiny. And solid.

    Precision Power PPI P1000.1 (p10001) Monoblock Phantom Car Amplifier

    Have you researched underseat boxes though? Most hate them.



    Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

  3. #3
    dan5505's Avatar
    dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    Get this. It's tiny. And solid.

    Precision Power PPI P1000.1 (p10001) Monoblock Phantom Car Amplifier

    Have you researched underseat boxes though? Most hate them.
    That one looks good too. It has pretty much the same specs as the soundstream one I posted, but its black. Black would look nicer in the WRX.

    I have not looked into underseat boxes much. I have heard that the subaru one *****. Right now I have the Dayton HO in a cheap sealed box in the back of the hatch. The only thing I plan on putting under the seat is my amp.




  4. #4
    TaylorFade's Avatar
    TaylorFade is offline I fail.



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    2,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1189 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    I see. I have a 2012 so anything you need, man lemme know.



    Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

  5. #5
    dan5505's Avatar
    dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    I see. I have a 2012 so anything you need, man lemme know.
    Thanks. I appreciate it. Once I get a new amp, I'll post my install log.




  6. #6
    Sonic.'s Avatar
    Sonic. is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    455
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?





  7. #7
    zako's Avatar
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    That one looks good too. It has pretty much the same specs as the soundstream one I posted, but its black. Black would look nicer in the WRX.

    Actually, these are the same amplifier, with different case. The PPI is slightly underrated.




  8. #8
    dan5505's Avatar
    dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Actually, these are the same amplifier, with different case. The PPI is slightly underrated.
    Perfect. I think I will give it a try. I think I just sold my Kenwood for $100, even with disclosing the static, so the upgrade will only be $89.




  9. #9
    zako's Avatar
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    One interesting amplifier to take a look at is Polk Audio D1000.1. On the outside it looks very similar to PPI P1000.1. This is no coincidence, because they share board design. However, the individual components, etc, used internally are different, so they can be of different grade. The impressive thing about Polk's implementation is just how clean it is. I already posted a link about this on a different forum:

    A test review of Polk Audio D1000.1 subwoofer amplifier - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

    Note that I am not making a claim that Polk is better or worse than PPI. It's just Polk the only one that I know someone tested and posted a result online. Having said this, I am happy with my PPI P1000.1. At $200 (sometimes cheaper online), it's a fine value. I'd love to try out the Soundstream REF amp mentioned in my link. These seem to be phenomenally good, but probably more expensive and not to mention the bigger size.




  10. #10
    dan5505's Avatar
    dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    One interesting amplifier to take a look at is Polk Audio D1000.1. On the outside it looks very similar to PPI P1000.1. This is no coincidence, because they share board design. However, the individual components, etc, used internally are different, so they can be of different grade. The impressive thing about Polk's implementation is just how clean it is. I already posted a link about this on a different forum:

    A test review of Polk Audio D1000.1 subwoofer amplifier - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

    Note that I am not making a claim that Polk is better or worse than PPI. It's just Polk the only one that I know someone tested and posted a result online. Having said this, I am happy with my PPI P1000.1. At $200 (sometimes cheaper online), it's a fine value. I'd love to try out the Soundstream REF amp mentioned in my link. These seem to be phenomenally good, but probably more expensive and not to mention the bigger size.
    That's interesting. I bet they all share a common vendor. I do like the case design of the Polk better than the Soundstream and the Precision Power. Since it is going under my passenger seat, I'm still leaning towards the Precision Power due to the price difference.

    Thanks for the heads up though. I wonder how many other amps use this board design.




  11. #11
    zako's Avatar
    zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

    Re: Picking out a new amp for 10" Dayton HO, 2013 WRX hatch. Soundstream?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    That's interesting. I bet they all share a common vendor. I do like the case design of the Polk better than the Soundstream and the Precision Power. Since it is going under my passenger seat, I'm still leaning towards the Precision Power due to the price difference.

    Thanks for the heads up though. I wonder how many other amps use this board design.
    A LOT.

    The board is supposedly designed by Nakamachi, so you can see it in their products. Also, the same design is used in NVX Class D amplifier and Hertz HDP amplifiers. I have seen test results of Polk, PPI, and Hertz HDP, and they all look _different_ (besides all of them having a respectable power output), so while the design is the same the individual components are not the same.




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. need help picking out a new amp today.
    By kingisback06 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
  2. need new amp for 2 10" type rs
    By djeazie in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
  3. picking out a new amp
    By XX95DSMXX in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM
  4. Heyt Need Help On Picking Out A New Amp
    By wicked_rider_ in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 01:41 AM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum