Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Amp protection mode

darron016 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Amp protection mode

When my amp is not connected to a ground, the red light comes on. When I connect the ground, the light goes off. The green power light does not show either..

Is my amp blown? If my amp is blown, would it even show the protection light?

My inline fuse blew the first time I connected it, I replaced that and the fuses on the amp. And now just get a red light.. I have small metal showing on the power cord right before it enters the AMP because I had to cut the wire down.. What could be the problem?

Also no speakers are hooked to the amp. I was just testing it out to see if it works.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: Amp protection mode

Quote Originally Posted by darron016 View Post
    When my amp is not connected to a ground, the red light comes on. When I connect the ground, the light goes off. The green power light does not show either..

Is my amp blown? If my amp is blown, would it even show the protection light?

My inline fuse blew the first time I connected it, I replaced that and the fuses on the amp. And now just get a red light.. I have small metal showing on the power cord right before it enters the AMP because I had to cut the wire down.. What could be the problem?
    The protect light is coming on because you don't have the ground connected. Why would you not connect the ground?

What amp is this? Switching the power and ground can cause some amps to blow, some amps will be ok if the fuse blew. And the wire that's showing isn't in contact with anything else including other wire correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The power cord is not touching anything even though metal showing.

The ground was disconnected because I disconnected the amp, after the fuse blew.. I reconnected everything, and nothing happened. So I removed the ground, then the light came on. Than I reconnected the ground. Now nothing.. All the fuses are fine.

I opened up the amp and it doesn't appear that anything is blown..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Have you tested anything? Test the wire at the amp terminals an make sure you're getting power to it. Do you have the remote wire connected?

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I don't know what you mean by test it.. I assume im getting power because the light is red? Maybe I should cut the end off the power cord and use the wire behind it?

Yes I snipped the remote wire a 1/4 inch and put that into the amp, that is when it turned red.

I disconnected the negative on the battery when doing all this, when I reconnected it, it sparked a little. Did this cause any problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darron016 View Post
    I don't know what you mean by test it.. I assume im getting power because the light is red? Maybe I should cut the end off the power cord and use the wire behind it?

Yes I snipped the remote wire a 1/4 inch and put that into the amp, that is when it turned red.

I disconnected the negative on the battery when doing all this, when I reconnected it, it sparked a little. Did this cause any problem?
    Test it with a mulimeter, see what voltage you have. When you did this did you have your subs connected? If so remove the sub wires from the amp until you figure this out. Just so you know, it's very possible you blew the amp when you hooked up the power and ground backwards. Did you see any sparks or smoke from the amp? And which amp is it?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I did not hook them up backwards. I do not own a mulimeter, my subs are not connected, they are still in my house.
    No smoke no sparks. It is a treo Tsx75.2 I bought it from a member on this website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Oh, I don't know why I was thinking you hooked them up backwards. Maybe because the fuse blew is why. Do you know why the fuse blew?

You said the light turned red when you didn't have the ground in, then went off when you put the ground in. Then you said that you hooked up the remote wire, and that is when the red light turned on. Conflicting statements, what's the story here?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It is not conflicting stories. I tried many different methods. I did not try just one single time.

1st attempt ) Disconnected battery, plugged everything up the right way. Reconnected battery, it sparks. Started the car and looked in the trunk I see nothing, look in hood, fuse was blown.

Disconnect everything, I than Go to o reilly bought new inline fuse.

2nd attempt) Discon battery, insert fuse. Recconect everything except RCA cords because I honestly forgot. Started car, red light. Than plugged in RCA and the light turned off..

3rd attempt ) disconnect battery to make sure my lnline was still intact. hook everything up expect the ground. I get red light, insert ground. No light
    I than turned my car on and off a couple time to see if this would make a difference. Nothing

4) Disccoect battery, take out remote wire, cut off a little and put the new remote wire in. Start car, now the red light is coming back on. Idk what the problem is, all fuses are fine.

The metal on the power cord is not touching anything, I will take up the end and try again tomorrow but I have a feeling this wont matter.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Problem solved !

I cut back the cords about an inch, but the amp still didnt turn on until I turned my radio to AUX and played a song on my i pod than the green light came on !
    I thought the light should come on as soon as the car starts.. Guess I have to start a song to get the amp to turn on !

Closed Thread